Strange quirks of windows phone 7

kenshinesca

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
First off I'd like to say I'm digging my new phone, but there are some strange things about it.

When I got the phone it didn't have NoDo on it so I tried to update through zune and I'd get to step 6 and it would fail. This happened a couple of times. So I started scouring the web searching what the issue could be. Many just said try the update again, tried updating drivers. Then I read somewhere that you should have it plugged in through a usb port on the back of your computer and not the front, problem solved got the update no problem. Doesn't make much sense for a portable device to be plugged into the back of the computer but no biggie, but would've been nice to be able to plug it in to the front usb ports.

Then I tried the xbox live offerings on wp7 and I could log in to my account my gamerscore would show and everything but when I tried downloading the xbox live extras app it wouldn't let me sign in to it. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling multiple times reset my windows live password but to no avail. Then read I had to do a factory reset and then try installing again. The factory reset worked. I cannot figure out why it wouldn't work before though and.

Both of these quirks costed me a considerable chunk of time. I hope I don't run into other problems like this. If there are any other wierd or strange thing about the OS that have caused you some headaches vent here and post solutions.

dtboos

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
The USB issue probably has to do with the fact that you may need a USB port which has a charging ability. Your front ones may not be able to charge devices while plugged in. Most computers have 1 or 2 powered USB ports. The rest are data only. Laptops typically have 1, sometimes 2.

I'm not sure why you had issues with the xbox extras. I have never come across this. There are little bugs here and there on all devices, but I'd say in the OS itself, Windows Phone has been the most problem free for me, and I've used pretty much every platform.

Hopefully you got the kinks figured out. What country do you reside in btw? Just out of curiosity?

Wyn6

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
Yes, dtboos is mostly correct about the USB issue. Thing is, on all but the newest computer cases, the front USB are USB 1.0. While the rear are 2.0 or 3.0. 1.0 USB can't transfer data at the speed needed to update the phone. So, you either plug into the rear ones or buy a motherboard and/or case that supports higher speed front USB.

As far as the xbl extras, my answer is the same as dtboos'.

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
i have had a weird issue with the alarm... it is very intermitant and dont remember the last time it happened. but sometimes it will overlap the same alarm tune and make an echo sound. almost like there are two alarms going off simotaneously...

the other issue i have that seems to happen more often is my ringer will change to "off" for no apparent reason, and it will only vibrate. so i have to go into settings and change it back to "on" not sure what causes either of them. other than that i love it

dtboos

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
i have had a weird issue with the alarm... it is very intermitant and dont remember the last time it happened. but sometimes it will overlap the same alarm tune and make an echo sound. almost like there are two alarms going off simotaneously...

the other issue i have that seems to happen more often is my ringer will change to "off" for no apparent reason, and it will only vibrate. so i have to go into settings and change it back to "on" not sure what causes either of them. other than that i love it

I have heard of this before, and it seems I have only heard about it on the HTC devices. Most specifically the HD7. Not sure why, but if it continues to happen try a full reset of the phone. Next step would be get a replacement.

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
got a replacement, still happens. might be a hardware flaw not getting along with the OS. hopefully the update fixes it.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
F you have the HTC software attentive phone try uninstalling it, has been thought to be the cause of alarm issues.

dtboos

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Wouldn't surprise me. The HTC phones are the only ones I've seen with the alarm bug, so one of their apps or firmware must be the issue. If its one of their apps, then thats an easy fix.

kenshinesca

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm from the USA dtboos. Useful info on the USB issue thanks.

I bought the LG Quantum and I'm going to be getting a Samsung Focus and see which one I like more. I really wish the Focus had more than 8gb of space I don't really want to have Micro sd problems with that phone.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
F you have the HTC software attentive phone try uninstalling it, has been thought to be the cause of alarm issues.
I had alarm problems on my Surround almost from launch day till my first hard reset, four months later. Since then, no alarm or quirky volume issues at all. Although other users have said they don't have an problems with Attentive Phone installed, I decided not to reinstall it. I have installed all of the other HTC apps though without issue.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mietaz