WP7 performance

rsuter

May 25, 2011
Visit site
First I want to mention, that i'm a real wp7 lover. Everywhere I read how smooth the OS is. Of course, the built in applications (eg. facebook, contacts, ...) are really smooth (I think they are not fully coded in .NET). Today I looked for a offline map app both on wp7 (Samsung Omnia 7) and on my girlfriend's Android (Samsung Galaxy S, 2.3.3). In every 3th party map app (eg. "Offline Maps", Gps Tuner "Navigation", etc) the map dragging is not very smooth - on android it is much better. Also page transitions in wp7 within an app take much more time than in a similar app on android. Do you have the same opinion? Do you think it would be better in the mango release - the same as the android 2.1 -> 2.3 boost? Can someone compare the app startup times between an iphone and wp7 device (for example the Facebook or twitter app, not preloaded of course)?

tiny

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Yes. There are more high quality apps on Android than on WP. You will just have to give it time. Mango helps existing apps function a lot better, but to a degree, better programming will pick up the rest of the slack. There are some really slick/fast performing apps that I've tried, and others that are as slow as molasses. But in time, there will be more and more higher quality apps available that will perform just as well as Android ones - perhaps better due to more standardized hardware.

Exomondo

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I know what you mean about some apps but Mango performs much better, the 3rd party apps like Facebook are as fast as the native apps on Mango.

hardrock1a

May 21, 2011
Visit site
I am REALLY hoping that all developers (I know that is too much to ask for) use the new profiling tool that Microsoft is putting in the developers tool box. If they use that tool, app performance across the board will be dramatic in addition to the Mango enhancements.

And remember, WP7 right now is still very much 1st generation and with that comes dealing with some of the quirks. WP7 is the first 1st gen device I have bought in a long time, because from what I saw beforehand had me convinced that it is one of the best 1st generation devices in a long time. Normally, I steer clear of new products until they have a chance to iron out the bugs, this one, I jumped on and I am not sorry that I did.

Last edited:

Exomondo

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I agree, of course everyone compares it to well-established platforms like ios and android and I think the fact that the pre-mango version is only slightly behind in some areas shows just how good wp7 really is and the mango update proves it.

condemned

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
Yes. There are more high quality apps on Android than on WP. You will just have to give it time. Mango helps existing apps function a lot better, but to a degree, better programming will pick up the rest of the slack. There are some really slick/fast performing apps that I've tried, and others that are as slow as molasses. But in time, there will be more and more higher quality apps available that will perform just as well as Android ones - perhaps better due to more standardized hardware.

The quality of apps on Android have been superior to that of WP7 in my experience. A few examples are the official Facebook, YouTube, Angry Birds, and Fruit Ninja apps. They just perform a lot smoothly on Android.

The Facebook app on Windows Phone 7 is just downright horrendous. It's so laggy and slow that its painful to use. This is why I prefer to use the mobile site. Works better and has much more functionality than the official app itself and the People Hub.

The YouTube app also lags when scrolling and can be jerky. This isn't the case at all on Android.
Anrgy Birds and Fruit Ninja also run smoother on Android. Seems like the framerate on WP7 games are capped around 30fps while on Android they're like 60fps.

Uodates should fix all of these issues. The Facebook app for Android recently got an update and the app is just a pleasure to use now. Don't even have to use the mobile browser. Facebook needs to update the WP7 one because it just sucks.

I find the overall stock UI and apps on WP7 to be smooth but a lot of market apps are laggy and not consistent with the smoothness/transitions. Hopefully they get updated.

I just read that games on WP7 are capped at lower frame rates to preserve battery life. They still perform smoothly so that isn't a big issue.

enahs555

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I do not do Facebook, but when I see my GF use Facebook on my phone vs on her phone (Android) the Android Facebook app is just horrible. The WP7 one is 5x faster and easier to use.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
First I want to mention, that i'm a real wp7 lover. Everywhere I read how smooth the OS is. Of course, the built in applications (eg. facebook, contacts, ...) are really smooth (I think they are not fully coded in .NET). Today I looked for a offline map app both on wp7 (Samsung Omnia 7) and on my girlfriend's Android (Samsung Galaxy S, 2.3.3). In every 3th party map app (eg. "Offline Maps", Gps Tuner "Navigation", etc) the map dragging is not very smooth - on android it is much better. Also page transitions in wp7 within an app take much more time than in a similar app on android. Do you have the same opinion? Do you think it would be better in the mango release - the same as the android 2.1 -> 2.3 boost? Can someone compare the app startup times between an iphone and wp7 device (for example the Facebook or twitter app, not preloaded of course)?

This is Mango beta 2. Much better speeds with Angry Birds.

YouTube - ‪Windows Phone 7 Mango Game launch comparison‬‏

L3vi

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
In Mango app performance is greatly improved. The Facebook app is definitely snappier. I don't use it anymore though, the FB integration in Mango is just that good.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon