mango for non devs?

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
just wondering if there was a way to get mango now, if your a non developer? it seems like this whole forum has mango already!

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I think most people are paying the $99 to get their device dev unlocked so they can install mango. Technically you don't have to be a dev. Keep in mind, the mango release is a beta version, not final. It is intended for devs to test their apps in preparation for the final release of mango. You may run into little bugs and such as with any beta product. That said, I've been using mine every day with little problem.

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
man... i want it now but not sure i want to pay 100 bucks for a beta version. it is only a few months away. guess i will have to wait it out...

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I used the Windows Phone Hacker method. Regarding your second question I have no idea, as i've never been brave enough to risk bricking my phone before.

Really glad I was this time as I'm loving Mango. (I was just too impatient to wait months for it):)

mturner7472

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
it really is an amazing update, and it's not even the official, fully baked version of the mango update ...

i'm not a ******, i've had webOS, android, iOS and blackberry (and loved,liked,liked and hated - respectively) ... i'm open to any OS ... i am just extremely happy and excited for wp7 ...

i get really tired of reading and hearing people say that there are only 2 major players in the smartphone market ... well MAYBE i can see that if you're saying RIGHT THIS INSTANT ... but if people would just get their heads out of their butts ... (saw a study where 34% of iphone users thought they already had 4G access ... uggh, case in point) ... DON'T just take the salesperson's word for it, try them all ...

having had all 4 of the major players (in the US anyway), i've realized something ... it's all about WHATS BUILT IN ... and wp7 is BUILDING IT IN with mango ... no need for the crap apps that do the little things like facebook chatting or windows live IMing ... no need for the shop-savvys or YARFs of the world that just clutter up the grid of app lists ...

people are just so brainwashed by Jobs or get sucked into the suckiness of Google+ and think that the integration with all that is all that's out there ... come on MS, take a page from Nokia who's about to drop millions on advertising ...

sorry for the rant ... just really love where this wp7 stuff is going and don't want to see what is happening to my other "favorite" webOS

Exomondo

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Just remember that if you upgrade to the Mango Beta you will *NOT* be able to upgrade to official Mango. You will need to restore to the backup you made of your device pre-Mango and then update to Mango from there. So make sure you've got your skydrive integration working so any photos and documents are uploaded...but remember conversations won't be stored and you will lose them.

The main thing is to make multiple copies of your backup and store them in different locations because if you lose that you're SOL for an official Mango update.

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
i think i will wait, not worth voiding my warranty. if it was the full version, maybe... im willing to bet from what i hear about the beta version, that the full official release will be amazing and well worth the wait. plus i have an htc hd7, and from past experience htc always puts out updates first, and samsung last...

never again samsung!

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
well speaking from previous experiences, everyone blamed the fascinate still being on 2.1 while others were running 2.3 , on samsung. i owned a galaxy s phone and was one of them

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I have never owned a Samsung before my Omnia and was pleased to get the update on time.

I'm hoping the Mango final follows suit.

Time will tell. :)

UpTownDC

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm a non developer and I'm running the Mango beta on my HTC HD7. I followed the instructions and made several copies of my "backup" to different locations for when it's time to restore. I can tell you that "Mango" is sweet!! Silky smooth and fast. I can't wait until "all" features are released.

hardrock1a

May 21, 2011
Visit site
I keep thinking about it, I know that I would love it, but the fear of bricking my phone, either now or later keeps me from making the leap.

disposed

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
Samsung last ? Well you'll be glad to know I had the NoDo update on the very day it was released. :)

Not by any official means you didnt. Like usual the samsung phones where among the last to officially get the NoDo update and there are quite a few bugs with it specific to samsung phones.

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Not by any official means you didnt. Like usual the samsung phones where among the last to officially get the NoDo update and there are quite a few bugs with it specific to samsung phones.

Actually i did get it officially delivered. It was only after problems with a few Samsung Omnia handsets was discovered that the official NoDo update was halted for a considerable time span.

I wasn't affected by this problem and recieved the original NoDo update as planned via the Zune client before MS /Samsung stopped the Omnia updates till they found out what the problem was.

Last edited:

hardrock1a

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Slightly off topic but follow me on this thought if you will or can. :)
OK this is concerning when Mango gets released and how it almost has to go by my twisted thinking.....

Currently, the OEM's are running beta Mango on their devices, the day that MS puts the "Grown in Redmond" sticker on Mango (RTM), the OEM's can then start making devices. That's pretty much a given. The key comes from the carriers, they get approval of updates because they have to support it. They get to start testing Mango at RTM also and as far as we end users are concerned, we need to keep an eye and watch on them.
Now, that being said, here is why I think that the carriers are going to probably be VERY prompt getting Mango approved.
They know that it is coming, the press knows that it's coming and soon, the general public is going to know that it's coming. Along with some sweet or very tempting hardware. They are going to want to get that nice hardware, and they can't very well say, we will accept it with these new devices, but not these older ones (unless there is a definite reason ie: a firmware issue). Customers may bide their time for Cut and paste, but for Mango, they (we) wont be so patient after MS puts it out there.

alzaeem

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
Well I am a student, so I got a free developer account and Mango beta for free. The registration and validation process takes a few days though. That being said, I do intend on developing for WP7, it is not just to get the sweet Mango.

Windows Winner

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm actually going to wait for the new devices to come out with Mango already installed. I'm keen about using the latest hardware - not just the update with Tango eventually to follow.

The younger generation who think using Apple or Android are the only way to be *cool* are missing out on a brilliant OS. So it seems the older you get the wiser you get. Maybe if MS target a younger audience with an advertising campaign then they may just increase their market share.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes