Switching from iPhone 4 to WP7.

Nettwerk

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
Hi all, so really soon I switching from iPhone 4 to Windows Phone 7. So I have few questions. Windows Phone sync with mac How to? Next Windows Phone 7 will works with MobileMe/.Mac service? I use .Mac/MobileMe service 6 years and I'd like to know WP7 will sync Contacts, Calendar, Mail? What most must have apps for WP7? How to sync Notes with Microsoft Office 2008 Mac With WP7? Is it possible?
What is app for sync Passwords, like 1Password (SplashID).

jeffa00

Dec 2, 2010
galacticbeacon.com
Don't know the answers to most of your questions since I'm not an iPhone (or Mac) user, but if by Notes you mean OneNote, then I'm pretty sure it should work if you are using SkyDrive to sync.

Must have apps (for me) include:

Plants Vs Zombies
GeoDefense
OneNote (included under the Office button)
Twitter
Weave
USA Today
Kindle
Netflix

Umm Yeah

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
Hi all, so really soon I switching from iPhone 4 to Windows Phone 7. So I have few questions. Windows Phone sync with mac How to? Next Windows Phone 7 will works with MobileMe/.Mac service? I use .Mac/MobileMe service 6 years and I'd like to know WP7 will sync Contacts, Calendar, Mail? What most must have apps for WP7? How to sync Notes with Microsoft Office 2008 Mac With WP7? Is it possible?
What is app for sync Passwords, like 1Password (SplashID).

While I wasn't an iPhone user, I did make the transition from a BlackBerry to WP7 and faced some of the same questions. My BB used a program to sync with Outlook calendars, contacts, etc., so I had to learn the WP7 way. Basically, everything syncs wirelessly. You have to set up a Windows Live ID and I already had a Google account that it used as well. Once you have those accounts set up on your phone, it will sync your WP7 calendar with your Windows Live calendar or Google Calendar in the background. The same for Google, although currently it is limited to using only the primary calendars in both services, not multiple calendars. Mango will allow multiple calendar support for Windows Live but Google doesn't without a work around. If you using the Apple iCal program, you can get the iCal link to your Apple calendar and go into your Windows Live calendar and subscribe to your Apple calendar. That creates a dynamic link between the calendars but I'm not sure if it will allow you to add events to the subscribed Apple calendar.

Contacts work similarly, syncing in the background wirelessly with Windows Live and Google, but I'm not sure about the Apple address book or MobileMe. I also can't answer your question about syncing email as I never tried to sync my email.

It takes a little getting used to but the good part is that since you are always syncing to Windows Live and/or Google (and Facebook too, and probably others), if you ever lose your phone, your data is still backed up. You don't have to manually sync your data. It does require that you make some adjustments to how you currently operate though. Best of luck.

tiny

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
My .02

For the day to day things, Windows Phone will be the most pleasant (more so when Mango comes out, mainly because of multi-tasking)

Hardware isn't as nice, but it isn't bad either. If you are in no rush, you could see what new phones come out this holiday season.

Apps are decent, but the marketplace is still young. You can find an app for just about everything, but the polish/function may not be up to par with the Apple version. In some cases this is the opposite though. Either way, post mango apps will really be where the app marketplace gets good, because of all the many much needed API's that MS opened up to developers.

Plenty of good games. Much of the same situation though as with the apps. But the xbox live ecosystem is nice, and will only get better.

So I think you will have a few pains in switching, but the day to day tasks you might find more enjoyable on your Windows phone. And as long as you have some patience, the phone is maturing at a break neck pace, so in no time at all, you may not miss anything from your iPhone at all.

Nettwerk

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
I've switched from an iPhone 4 to a HTC Mozart, so hopefully can answer your questions. Backup for Macs is covered by the Windows Phone 7 Connector beta software that you can download from Microsoft. It's alright - fine for backing up, but it doesn't have any of the Zune store functionality you get on a Windows PC. Hopefully this will come later.

I don't know how well WP7 works with MobileMe as I don't use it, but I found the easiest way to sync stuff was via a Google account. I synced my Mac address book and my iCal with Gmail/Google calendar, then set those to sync with my phone. I did have to change events in my iCal so they were google calendar events, but after that it's been fine.

Apps-wise, depends on what you had on your iPhone. I've found replacements for almost all the iPhone apps I regularly used (some by the same people - e.g. London Tube), and some of the alternatives are better. My favourites are:

Weave (newsreader)
Rowi (twitter)
Facebook
Prime TV (schedules)
Bingle maps (mapping - Bing maps isn't as good as iOS maps yet)
BBC News Mobile
Boxfiles (Dropbox client)
eBay
Shazam
TBS Your Weather (best weather app for people in the UK as it uses Met Office data)

The only area still a bit spartan is games. Hydro Thunder, Twin Blades and Tentacles are all fun, but there's a lack of first/third person shooters. Also, game prices tend to be higher - though many apps have try before you buy, which helps a lot.

If you've got any other queries, feel free to ask!

henry.gray

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
I found backing up my HTC HD7 on a mac to be annoying, the connector software picked up my phone fine, but syncing it was another problem. I found I had to take all my content of my phone and then add all that content to the relevant programs on the mac, then I was able to sync them with the connector software.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo