Does Mango Fix The Broken Live Tiles Issue?

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I haven't seen anyone report any issues yet, but there's no way to be sure until there's a way to view the registry on Mango.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
All my live tiles and push notifications have been working since the first Mango update. Still butttery smooth with the 2nd Mango update.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
The limit is 30 now so you'd have to add a lot of live tile apps to see any problem, I think. Will probably be more apparent after a few months of Mango use.

foosball

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
The problem was never really the issue of how many live tiles were allowed but the quality of the tiles. Due to poor management of registry keys by the OS they would jam up live tiles from working even if you had just a few live tiles.

Do we have a programmer in the house who can address this?

Sent from my HTC Arrive using Board Express

Last edited:

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Wasnt the problem that the registry problem incorrectly incremented the live tile count? Thats why I think the higher limit makes a difference. Hope it is truly fixed if not the case.

Last edited:

Dagolara

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
What I would really like to know is when you update to Mango does it flush the registry off extraneous endpoints so you basically start off fresh. Debating when the time come to update if I'm just going to do a hard reset to make sure it is empty. Hopefully somehow someone will be able to get a registry editor working again to find out if it is truly taken care of.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
The limit had nothing to do with reaching the limit. I was well below the limit when my phone (pre Mango) would stop receiving push notifications. It had to do with endpoints not being handled correctly.
The limit is 30 now so you'd have to add a lot of live tile apps to see any problem, I think. Will probably be more apparent after a few months of Mango use.

topleya

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
My understand was that poorly coded apps with push/live enabled would open a push channel, but never close it again, so if you installed for example "Weather App 1" and it opened 1 push channel then uninstalled "Weather App 1" that channel would remain open and could never be used again, eventually users ended up using all the channels without actually using them (if that makes sense)

I have currently only 3 apps (excluding the 2 email accounts that use a push channel each) yet because I've installed and uninstalled other push apps in the past, I've actually not got any available push channels to open now, so any future apps cannot have push working (until I hard reset and lose almost everything).

Jay Bennett

Resident Developer
Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I don't know if it's because Mango provides more push points, but as soon as I updated to Mango everything push related started working. I'd say it's safe to get your hopes up :)

Sent from my Samsung Omnia 7 using Board Express

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Where's Jimski when you need him?

Sent from my HTC Arrive using Board Express
Have no fear, jimski's here. I have had Mango installed since the day it was released and have been running 9 or 10 push tiles without any issues. Have also installed/uninstalled several. When I installed Mango, I noticed my push tiles were all reset, so I would assume that the update purged the Managed Endpoints / Endpoints keys. As noted, without registry access there is no way to be certain that the problem is 100% resolved. Soft resets caused a lot of the problems in the past, adding extra Endpoints after each reset, so I have been soft resetting every few days just to see what happens.

To clarify, this was a Microsoft only issue. The devs did their job correctly regarding push tiles and had not control over, or solution for the problem. I would like to say it's behind us (at least for Mango users) but a bit too early for that a this time.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos