MS phones or stick to OEM?

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
I was just wondering how much of a different it would have done

positive or negative.

but what if MS would have made their OWN phone like the Iphone instead of relying on Samsung , HTC , Nokia , ect......

you guys think this would of boosted sales? or knowledge related to the phone ( less people getting confused )

i sorta like that they let other OEMs make phones cause it gives us more choices , but is that really worth it compare to what a SINGLE FLAG SHIP phone could have done?

So what do you guys think?

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
It's funny, when I showed my focus to the guys in my office (who are all apple fanboys btw) their first general reaction was "Why didn't they make thier own phone like your little music player? That thing is cool!" Of course they were referring to my zune hd...

enahs555

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
At the same time, choices is what made Android popular. Some people want small phones, some want big. Some want keyboards, some do not.

There are pros and cons going each way.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
yeah , like iwa s saying having CHOICES does help allot
Considering Apple had such a BIG hit with the 1 phone , thought it might have been a good idea ( thats why i voted maybe )
i guess the biggest COn would of been , What if MS made a SHIITY flag ship phone , wed be in big trouble. and i love my S Amoled Samsung :p

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
I vote No and here is why. Microsoft makes software that's what they do. Stick with your strengths. I also think because MS makes and sales software they will never make there own hardware it could backfire on them companies like Dell, Sony, HTC, Samsung the list goes on and on they might not be to happy with MS if they started making hardware

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
The OEM's have not really given their best to WP7, that reason alone is enough for me to want MS to own the whole ecosystem. The Zune is an example of good hardware designed and sold by MS. One would imagine they would have different hardware form factors but relying on OEM's dedicated to a competing platform has not served them well so far. Nokia is the closest thing they have now and thats good but HTC and the rest could have done much better.

agolding

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
they should make a dev phone, equivalent to the nexus range on android, get updates super quick etc. that way they'd release RTM to the MSOFT phone now, others make their changes

jesdt

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I'd say a purely Microsoft branded phone is in the realm of possibilities. Of course MS would outsource the production to an OEM, as is Google with its Nexus to Samsung (iirc). They could lead the other WP7 OEMs in terms of hardware design and show how it's made the right way, at least according to Microsoft's vision.

After all, it's rumoured that MS might produce its own Microsoft Windows 8 tablets.

Rico

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
First off, Microsoft profits on volume, unlike Apple who profits off of margin. A single product line as Apple has simply won't work for the Microsoft of today.

It's also worth noting that generally speaking, Microsoft doesn't want to compete with their partners. Keep in mind that their phone hardware partners are also many of the same partners that license their OSes for desktops, notebooks, and tablets, so they really can't afford to hurt those partnerships, and give their partners any more reasons to dabble with Google.

Despite products like the Xbox 360 and the Zune, Microsoft is a software company, and I really don't think that they want to get into hardware any more than they have to. Online distribution has finally taken off and made software even more profitable.

I also kinda doubt we'll even see them really influencing Nokia designs. People talk, and word that Microsoft is essentially making their ideal phone via Nokia could hurt their relationships with their hardware partners. That's a relationship that OEMs have to feel uneasy about, even if it does bring more attention to the platform their developing on themselves. Fortunately for us, they see the need for a second option to balance the power that Google has, and one that may also bring higher customer satisfaction with less investment in development.

But would I like to see a Microsoft phone? After the Zune HD, definitely.

Nettwerk

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
At the same time, choices is what made Android popular. Some people want small phones, some want big. Some want keyboards, some do not.

There are pros and cons going each way.
But there is problem,google did big mistake with this. As you know there is haoss, and it is difficult to develop OS for any kind of phone. Android is really lugy ON ANY phone.
Apple, Microsoft, Palm has good marketing and I hope Microsoft will not go google way.

Sent from my HD7 T9292 using Board Express

altoids2011

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
The WP7 phone requirements are already strict enough as it is (maybe too strict, why canst I stick my microSD in there???) to avoid any real fragmentation, subpar performance, compatibility issues, lack of acceleration, etc. that Android suffers. Where the OEMs have freedom is in the physical design. That will hopefully mean they will focus on it and come out with non-traditional and unique looking and feeling devices, since that's really the only way they can compete or distinguish themselves. I'm all for that. They can also focus on things like screen quality, camera, ergonomics, etc. A lot of the more physical attributes get ignored in favor of things like flashy skins and spec sheets.

The WP7 approach has the tight integration of Apple's ecosystem with some of the freedoms of Android phones. A good middle-ground. Microsoft doesn't have a good hardware history anyway. The Xbox 360 hardware failures and the billion dollar warranty programs come to mind...

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
I rather them stick to software and continue to keep the spec requirements as strict as possible to avoid fragmentation like Android.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
well they could keep the System restriction that way All phones are even

BUT!! if MS made their OWN phone ( like google does ) they could come out with some MS apps only ( like Samsung APPS , or HTC apps ) some HTC apps i cant have on my FOCUS . and the other way around .

it be cool to see what MS would add as a bonus. and they can advertise it more and have more awareness for the WP platform.

And the fact that MS has access to Samsung , HTC , Nokia , blah blah , could they not just steal the best specs from each? Lol :p

HTC = build quality / 3D phone technologies
Samsung = Screen
Nokia = Camera
LG = …. LG …? … Life is good.. lmao..
Toshiba = waterproof

Get all of does in 1 crazy phone and you bet your *** im buying it right away.

SirataXero

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I would've agreed with everyone's opinions on Microsoft not doing hardware, until I got my Microsoft 8000 Wireless Desktop set. This thing is beautiful and works wonderfully. I'm just really sad it didn't make it big and get popular.

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I would've agreed with everyone's opinions on Microsoft not doing hardware, until I got my Microsoft 8000 Wireless Desktop set. This thing is beautiful and works wonderfully. I'm just really sad it didn't make it big and get popular.
I have the 7000 model, the non light up version. Had it for years, I can't manage to break it. The mouse has hardly a bit of paint left on it, it's all worn away but works like new.

I didn't have the patience to wait for the back lit one lol. (Some things never change) :)

SirataXero

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I actually only got mine very recently. I was in the market for a wireless backlit one (but it had to have a charging dock, replacing batteries sucks!) and this one was the ONLY one ever available. Sadly it was already discontinued so I had to order it from the UK. WELL worth it though.

Back on topic: I'd love to see a Windows Phone. I think they could work together like Google did with HTC or something, but it would be a cool thing to see.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I can't call this one except to say that Microsoft has never been the type of company to not share with it's partners. Having said that, MS could still produce a "flagship" model and have HTC, Nokia etc build it. We don't know, they might have something like that up their sleeves.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills