Is Verizon abandoning WP7?

Umm Yeah

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
OK, earlier this week I heard that Verizon dropped the price of its ONLY WP7 phone, the HTC Trophy, from $149 to $49. I was hopeful that the price drop indicated they were clearing out their inventories of the Trophy to make room for more advanced WP7 phones when Mango hits. Now, I see a leaked roadmap (Verizon roadmap shows Galaxy S II, 4G Curve, HTC Vigor, new 4G Galaxy Tab, more) for Verizon indicating the expected launch dates between now and year end and it shows several Androids, a previously unannounced BlackBerry, some tablets, etc., but no WP7 phones at all. Is Verizon abandoning the WP7 platform already? Is this another "Kin"-spiracy? (Sorry, I couldn't help that one!)

My contract is already up and I was hoping to wait for some new upgraded WP7 models after Mango is released. My company will allow me to have any phone but I am tied to Verizon. Does anyone have any insight as far as to whether Verizon and WP7 have a future?

I do take some solace in the fact that we all KNOW the iPhone 5 is expected to drop this Fall as well but it isn't mentioned on this roadmap either. If anyone out there knows anything, I'd love to hear it. I will accept the HTC Trophy if that's the end of the line (for now) for Verizon and WP7, but if there's something better coming, I would prefer to hold out. Thanks.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
they probly do have more comming, they probly dont knwo the official release dates yet thats probly why you dont see them

and also i think we are only gona see like 2-3 Phones come out with Mango in september , and the rest will follow Late Q4 or early Q1 next year.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Do you mean 2 - 3 on Verizon only? Or 2 - 3 total. If total, WP7 will soon be going the way of WebOS. Everyone loves it, but no one buys it.
they probly do have more comming, they probly dont knwo the official release dates yet thats probly why you dont see them

and also i think we are only gona see like 2-3 Phones come out with Mango in september , and the rest will follow Late Q4 or early Q1 next year.

hardrock1a

May 21, 2011
Visit site
By my quick mental count, which could be wrong, but I think that we have seen rumors of 10 or so new handsets from different OEM's.

I would not read too much into Verizon dropping the cost, they know that unit is going to be made to look bad real soon and they are trying to get them out the door. Months ago I saw a rumor that Verizon was working with Nokia on a WP device. Since the Sea Ray leaked video shows its running Qualcomm chipset, CDMA is assured. So potentially, eventually, we could have the Sea Ray on Verizon.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
i mean 2-3 Total in September , but like Hardrock1a says 10 of them give or take have been announced ,

i just dont expect ALL of them to come out at same time. so probly gona see some in Oct , November , December and probly Jan 2012

Basicly expecting alot of Phones starting next month all the way into early Q1 , then probly gona have a 6-7month break ( like we have now ) before seeing the 3r GEN on Apollo or tango (w/e its called )

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I'm hoping for around 5 - 10 new handsets. My upgrade is burning a hole in my pocket, and it's not going to last until 2012. I just hope the leaked HTC Eternity or that Samsung phone comes out, and I'll be happy. I know a lot are looking for the Nokia WP7 to hit the shelves.

starblade876

Jan 14, 2010
grrrinders.com
I would not read too much into Verizon dropping the cost, they know that unit is going to be made to look bad real soon and they are trying to get them out the door.
This makes sense, especially when you take into account that they're also competing with other carriers, more specifically AT&T who has the Focus, Surround, and Quantum at $49.99, too.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
i just want a Wp7 with this

Super AMOLED PLUS ( like on galaxi s 2 )

and hmm .. id prety much be happy with that , maybe add 3D... lol

Rico

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Are people putting that much faith in an Excel spreadsheet? Not only that, but it says that both the Droid Bionic and the Samsung Stratosphere are launching the same day -- why have two highly anticipated phones compete against one another?

Regarding handsets, I'm not expecting a lot on CDMA this year, period. One, maybe two on Verizon, one on Sprint. The lion's share will be on AT&T and then T-Mobile.

btgusto

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
I need to start seeing 3-4 (or more) wp7 handsets in each carrier stores. One phone in Sprint/Verizon and what 2 in ATT/TMO.

With Nokia,Samsung,HTC, and others, why aren't they pushing more products out there?

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
I need to start seeing 3-4 (or more) wp7 handsets in each carrier stores. One phone in Sprint/Verizon and what 2 in ATT/TMO.

With Nokia,Samsung,HTC, and others, why aren't they pushing more products out there?

1 in TMO, and 4 in ATT. Close though, hahaha

I agree though, a lot of people are talking an awful lot about a spread sheet that would take 5 minutes to make...

cdook

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
So there's no Verizon WP7 phone coming in the future? That seems kind of odd. I'm thinking there are two reasons behind this. The first is the same reason we didn't see the iPhone on Verizon until recently. Verizon wanted more control of the device and Apple refused to budge. I'm sure the same thing goes with WP7. They probably want their apps to be the only choice... so instead of Bing Maps's GPS for Mango your only choice would be paying for Verizon's maps product.

The other possibility is because of Kin, but I doubt that's the case.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Well. They said no the the iPhone initially. Android is their bread and butter. Don't see why that would change.

Sent from my Samsung Focus using Board Express

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I'm surprised Verizon has a WP7 phone at all.

Exactly. Just as att was practically an iphone carrier vzw is an android carrier. You practically had to pry any info about the Trophy from their clutches and still have to battle reps to actually buy one. Add on the fact that they historically take eons to get new handsets on their network and I wouldnt be surprised if the Trophy is the lone WP7 handset on this carrier for a long time.

cdook

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Exactly. Just as att was practically an iphone carrier vzw is an android carrier. You practically had to pry any info about the Trophy from their clutches and still have to battle reps to actually buy one. Add on the fact that they historically take eons to get new handsets on their network and I wouldnt be surprised if the Trophy is the lone WP7 handset on this carrier for a long time.

Yea and I'd say if you don't like a carriers phones switch carriers, but that can be a pain if people are locked into family plans or plans through their work. Plus AT&T might not have coverage in the area.

I want to go back to Verizon for my next phone, but if Android is my only choice I might have to deal with AT&T's terrible service in my area.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo