Is now a good time to get a windows phone?

kismayaz

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm on an employee program, and have to get something right now. It was either the focus or the inspire. I get upgrades every ten months, and like I said, my verizon phone will be ready in april. I'll get the focus now, and then get a newer one in april if I decide I like wp7.

cdook

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
The Samsung Focus is a great phone. It's pretty responsive and fast. If you can't wait then I'd get it. The new phones don't appear to have drastically different stats from what it sounds so you should be good to go for a while.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
I don't really agree with this attitude.

The current crop of Windows phones is almost a year old. The next wave of WP7 devices is only another month or two away. Why get stuck for 2 years with a phone that is practically outdated on day 1?

TC, the Focus is a great phone, but I say wait it out another month or two.

Sure. I can agree with that view. Just be sure to draw the line at some point. All I'm saying is when those phones come out a month or two from now, no doubt another set of rumors will come out for phones for the holidays (December). Then you'd be tempted to wait for December, January, February, March... and so on. Now instead of getting your next upgrade in August of 2013, you're going to have to wait till December 2013 or January 2014...

Seriously, what phone do we know for sure is coming out in the States in a month or two? None that I know of. We might not see a phone stateside till December. Anyway, OP has made up their mind to get a Focus now, because they have an upgrade coming up next April for VZW.

Jake_M

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
The good thing about Mango is that it's actually improving every WP7, opposed to being a better operating system, but leaving those with slower processors behind.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
You might want to look at the HD7S too. Actually I'd get the Inspire and sell it. Fetch a pretty penny. Lol.

Sent from my Samsung Focus using Board Express

jackpro41

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
anyway, Window phone is upgrading from time to time.
but the thing that i most disappoint about that not much apps are available for phone.
i mean was like free apps variety.
compared to android, there are over 500++ news and free apps available.

of coz, i would like to wait what is coming up in MANGO. maybe a better performance will be showing over there.

SO I DECIDED TO WAIT FOR ANOTHER LESS THAN A MONTH.
hopefully it won't disappoint all the user in the WORLD.

justop26

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
I got a new Focus like two months ago and haven't regretted it at all. I absolutely love this phone :)

If your next upgrade is only ten months away, I say give it a go and try WP7.

krst

Aug 7, 2011
Visit site
Beeing for many years an early adopter of brand new phones, symbian in the past or android now the problem with buying units the first months has always been issues (braking down) with units and lots extra $ for getting them the first weeks after release. Now buying my win 7 phone just recently i got it for less than 40% of the original price it was in november without contract. The phone also runs great with mango uppdate. The veridict is that i dont really see the (large) possiblity performance uppgrade in gen2 phones if not really into gaming maybe. Perhaps it can come smaller units however...

Now got this phone so cheap, I will afford to buy i guess 2nd gen win phone in early spring pretty cheap again. Thus I will in theory, the tech buing geek I am during the next two year period have nevwer hardware for the same price as one super new the first week which i would had to use for 2 years...

Averry

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
You know, AT&T does offer 1 year contracts for what I believe is an extra $100 on the Focus.

Normally I go that route...but.......I took the 2 year deal this time because if I upgrade at all I'm gonna go Nokia unlocked........that said. Windows Phone is pretty damn slick on 1 Ghz.To this point, nobody is even sure if any of the manufacturers are going to put faster processors in it anyways. The resolution isn't getting any higher. The Super AMOLED is still damn fine screen, and I personally don't feel the need for the Super AMOLED Plus as I think 4 inches is just fine.

I donno, I'm feelin pretty comfortable about my Focus assuming I get Mango in a timely fashion.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Hmm, didn't know AT&T offered 1 year contracts. I might have to start going that route. Wp7 runs smooth right now, I want to see how smooth it runs when 3rd party apps start running in the background.

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Hmm, didn't know AT&T offered 1 year contracts. I might have to start going that route. Wp7 runs smooth right now, I want to see how smooth it runs when 3rd party apps start running in the background.
I wouldn't worry about background tasks affecting performance. MS has been very careful (restrictive) about the resources background tasks are allowed to use. There's only a few types of background tasks apps can do: background audio, background file transfers, scheduled alerts and scheduled tasks.

We already know the phone can handle background audio and file transfers just fine. Scheduled alerts barely consume any resources. Scheduled tasks are only allowed to run for a max of 15 seconds every 30 minutes (OS is allowed to move the time by 10 minutes either way to optimize performance). There is another type of scheduled task that is allowed to use more resources, but there is a big list of requirements that must be met to even allow these to run (phone must be plugged in and over 90% charged, on wifi, screen locked).

So I wouldn't expect to notice a difference. Hopefully that can put some people's minds at ease.

Averry

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site

Yeah, they aren't very open about it. But there is a fee you can pay. At least there still was back when I bought my focus. Verizon at least used to as well.

3migo

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, they aren't very open about it. But there is a fee you can pay. At least there still was back when I bought my focus. Verizon at least used to as well.

I'm definitely going to ask about that when I go to redeem my upgrade. I'd be willing to pay a little bit more if it meant a new phone every year.

Averry

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm definitely going to ask about that when I go to redeem my upgrade. I'd be willing to pay a little bit more if it meant a new phone every year.

What's funny is that they have it, but they will do everything in their power to talk you out of it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo