IE9 HTML5 capabilites

Sogeman

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
It's nice that they finally improved the browser a bit, but let's be honest, it still sucks.

Many sites won't redirect you to their good mobile versions.
Now the redirecting could change once the final version is out and sites add the user agent to their site but then there's still the problem with IE9s html5 capabilities.

They really aren't great. I get a measly 141 points on html5test.com (same as the desktop version of IE9) No wonder no one uses Internet Explorer. Even my Ipod touch that's not running the current version of iOS gets almost 90 points more.

And since it's integrated into the OS we can probably wait another 6 months after Mango to get any update.

I like my WP, but I could really go for a FF or Chrome app...

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
What are you looking for in a mobile browser. It displays web pages properly. I get all mobile sites when I set it to display as such. Firefox blows, chrome is nice, but there is not a mobile version. You say no one uses IE. Its the leading browsers in the WORLD.

Sent from my Samsung Focus using Board Express

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Personally dont care how many points the browser scores as long as it renders pages properly. Have no problems on the desktop version so looking forward to the same performance in WP7.

tiny

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
My only real complaint about the HTML5 implementation (and it is a big one) may or may not be a problem with the browser it self, and may be a problem with individual sites. Perhaps the issue is mutual. But there are many HTML5 sites that don't recognize the browser as HTML5 capable. I suppose these sites are looking for specific browsers, and not whether or not the unidentified browser (WP7 IE9) supports HTML5. A fix I assume could be for IE9 to fake out the website into thinking that its big brother (desktop version) is accessing the website, and not the mobile version. But honestly, I'm speculating. Either way, my point is that HTML5 is useless to me if 90% of HTML5 websites refuse to serve me HTML5.

jesdt

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
It might be the understanding of "HTML5" as a whole. Right now, every browser manufacturer is implementing his version of HTML5 capabilities as most properties are still only drafts and suggestions for the W3C. Only a very minor part of HTML5 properties are already finalized. That is where Microsoft says, it only uses 100% standard-compliant finalized properties. For the end-client it then seems that the IE can do less HTML5 than others.

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm not too concerned about HTML5, since no one really implements it correctly yet. I think the worst thing is that it doesn't pass Acid2. At least get CSS right before you worry about HTML5.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa