AT&T text plan changes

cdook

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Anyone see Gizmodo today? It looks like AT&T is getting rid of the $10/1000 text plan. Now you've got $0.20 a text message or unlimited for $20. So now if someone like me were to send 1000 messages it'd cost me $200.

Are current plans grandfathered in? Anyone think this is ridiculous? It wouldn't be bad if everyone had smartphones, but I talk to lots of people with dumb phones via text.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
AT&T will allow old users to be grandfathered in. And yes this is ridiculous. I'm on AT&T now and have no problem with switching to Sprint or Verizon when they get some new WP7 phones.

cdook

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
AT&T are priced pretty much the same for me. Data is $5 more expensive on Verizon, but their unlimited text plan is $5 cheaper. I have no problem switching either.

I wish there was more "true" competition. Verizon and AT&T are equally expensive. I could see AT&T doing this when texting first came out, but it's going away. Why scare people from it?

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
AT&T are priced pretty much the same for me. Data is $5 more expensive on Verizon, but their unlimited text plan is $5 cheaper. I have no problem switching either.

I wish there was more "true" competition. Verizon and AT&T are equally expensive. I could see AT&T doing this when texting first came out, but it's going away. Why scare people from it?
They're trying to cash in while they still can. As more and more people get smartphones texting is going to become obsolete. They want to make as much money as they can while it's still relevant.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
That tiered data plan probably bit them in the ***. 2GB is $5 less from Unlimited data. They're probably just trying to get that money back. Pricks!

Rico

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Starting August 21, we’re streamlining our text messaging plans for new customers

"Streamlining"? I liked it better when they used the word "simplify" the last time they took away choices in texting packages earlier this year.

Funny thing is I've had unlimited texting for a few months and just switched to the unlimited texting with unlimited mobile-to-mobile minutes plan, something I really don't need since on my 450-minute voice plan I've got over 3100 rollover minutes.

cdook

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Haha yea I've got 1500 minutes after 7 months on a 450 plan. Why'd you switch to unlimited if you don't need it?

I hope the Tmobile deal doesn't go through. I can't see that helping consumers like AT&T claims it will.

Rico

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
No, I need unlimited. A month or so ago they started offering free mobile to mobile minutes if you had unlimited texting, so I upgraded my standard unlimited texting package to that. I think I'll find a way to reduce my texting; 1000 should be enough. I can guarantee the majority of those texts are from Twitter and therefore totally redundant since I'm gettingthose updates in three or four other other locations.

GekkoAce

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm happy with it. Along with their unlimited SMS you get unlimited mobile minutes (to and from any network), if you're already paying for the $69 plan or higher (which is GREAT on my family plan!).

You could go to Verizon and pay $10/month for 500. Or wait.. $20 for unlimited..

GekkoAce

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
wow i thought it was expensive in canada ( 0,15$ a text ) 15$ unlimited.

10$ = 2500 txts

Prices in the US are horrible. I was excited about At&t getting T-mobile so they could roll out higher speeds. However, they are continuing to cap data use, charging more people for tethering, and raising prices.

I hope the FCC says they can't merge. But, it is looking like it will happen anyway.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster