GPS and Location services

monotok

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Hello new user here,
I have been searching for a little while but could not find a definite answer. I would like to know if i turn on the single location services toggle if GPS stays on constantly and uses a lot more battery.
In android i could select whether my location was found using GPS or Wifi/Cellular or both but in WP7 it seems either off or on.

Thanks and btw i have the Dell Venue Pro.

VernonEL

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
A Major Difference Between Windows Phone and Android

Welcome to WPCentral!

I have never turned my GPS off. I usually make it through a full day with a single battery charge. Apps I use regularily that use GPS include Bing Search, Twitter, 4th and Mayor, Foursquare, I'm a WP7, Endomondo, Glympse, and I've messed around with We're In just a bit so far. Of course I use the native Maps app too. I have found that because of the way that Windows Phone switches between apps, it does not continue to use the GPS radio once the app has been exited. This will change slightly with Mango, but the objective is still to use the power wisely, and to not be running something in the background that is not needed. Of course if I am using the Maps app for an extended period of time, it uses more power, as expected.

To answer your question: Leaving the GPS on, which is actually aGPS which I think denotes "assisted" using cellular signal triangulation, will only draw down your device's battery excessively while the app is open. This can include running under a lock screen, like Endomondo. As long as one closes out the app that uses aGPS, it should stop transmitting/receiving.

monotok

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Ok thanks for information,
I think ill give it a try to see the difference because currently i get down to 70% within 12 hours :D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism