When the new phones start selling...

GekkoAce

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
I plan on picking up a new Windows Phone, but will my apps I have bought for my Focus automatically be transferred to my new phone by Zune? If not, when I re-download them one-by-one I won't be charged again, will l?

Sent from my Samsung Focus using WP7!

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Apps are associated with your live ID and will be free on what ever one phone that is using that live ID. You will have to install the apps one at a time from your phone. You can't reload the apps using zune it won't work it has to be done through the marketplace on the phone.

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
When I hard reset my current phone, the apps that I got through the Zune software automatically reinstalled on my phone. The ones that I got through the Marketplace on the phone did not and I had to manually reinstall them one by one. Others have said the same thing. I'm not sure if it works the same way for new phones or not.

I'm still holding out hope that the new web based marketplace will allow for a way to manage which apps automatically install.

cdook

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I haven't had to reinstall yet, but it would be nice if they gave a list of all the purchased apps and you could check off what ones you want on your phone. The Focus only comes with 8GB of space so I'm sure a year from now I won't have enough space to redownload everything.

GekkoAce

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
An online list of apps already purchased would be awesome, especially if it had a re-install link! I hope MS can do something like that.

ashykat

Nov 20, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone know if data restores? For instance, when I used to use iPhone's and I upgraded from a 3G to a 3GS, I was able to "restore from backup" and all my settings, preferences, apps, data, texts, call history, etc. transferred to the new phone. I liked the seamless upgrade experience. I'm curious if this will be possible when I upgrade to the next gen of WP7 which I was certainly thinking would be Nokia but after seeing the pics of the HTC Omega I'm not so sure anymore. :D

Hornet

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know if data restores? For instance, when I used to use iPhone's and I upgraded from a 3G to a 3GS, I was able to "restore from backup" and all my settings, preferences, apps, data, texts, call history, etc. transferred to the new phone. I liked the seamless upgrade experience. I'm curious if this will be possible when I upgrade to the next gen of WP7 which I was certainly thinking would be Nokia but after seeing the pics of the HTC Omega I'm not so sure anymore. :D

Hi everyone, I'm a noob here but I am very interested in knowing how a change to a new handset would happen. I have 3 games that are no longer on the marketplace and have a lot of time put into some games. Will I be able to re install Project sunburst etc and will I lose all my saves and have to start from level 1 in Game Chest Solitaire?
I upgraded from a 3GS to an iPhone 4 and iTunes made it completely painless. Don't get me wrong I think my HD7 is superb and I love Xbox live on my phone but Zune really needs to get a lot better very quickly.

I used the mango beta for a few days, It's a big improvement and I would like to have the full release on shiny new hardware but I'll be really miffed if I lose games and game saves!

Waucckhewww

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site

I am almost certain it is not possible. Since OEMs have specific apps that are only available for their phones, I dont think that it would be possible to restore from a backup to a different brand. The OS is sent to the OEMs so they can tailor it to their specific devices making it work with the drivers, adding settings in camera, things like that. iOS has the advantage of control of both the hardware and the OS so all of those things are able to be kept consistent from 3G to 3GS for example.

Edit: I probably should have added that depending on the game you might be able to carry save data over if it is liked to an account such as a username or xbox live.

Last edited:

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site

Doesnt work that way with WP7 I'm afraid. Only your live email, contacts, calendar are backed up, by virtue of them being stored online somewhere. On a new phone you will have to reinstall all your old applications as no data is backed up on your old device for transfer to a new one.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
So what going to happen to all the musics and games on the old phone...can you still play them?

Media will be fine, that is synced with your pc using the Zune software and can be synced back to your new phone. Its things like applications, games, - these will have to be reinstalled and SMS, internet favorites will be lost.

But note, you wont have to buy anything you've paid for already, you will have to hit the Buy button but the MP will recognise you have bought the item and offer you to download it again. As long as you use the same Live ID on the new phone as you previously did on the old phone your old purchases will work ok on your new phone without having to buy again.

jake69

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Media will be fine, that is synced with your pc using the Zune software and can be synced back to your new phone. Its things like applications, games, - these will have to be reinstalled and SMS, internet favorites will be lost.

But note, you wont have to buy anything you've paid for already, you will have to hit the Buy button but the MP will recognise you have bought the item and offer you to download it again. As long as you use the same Live ID on the new phone as you previously did on the old phone your old purchases will work ok on your new phone without having to buy again.

Let me clarify...I plan to give my old phone to my nephew...can he still plays the musics that I got from Zune pass while I'm using my new phone.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Let me clarify...I plan to give my old phone to my nephew...can he still plays the musics that I got from Zune pass while I'm using my new phone.

You will have to have your live id signed into that phone for the Zune pass to work. You can sync multiple devices under 1 zune pass subcription so even if you wipe the old one you can still sign in and download music on there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire