Update process when carriers release Mango?

Cyterio

May 27, 2011
Visit site
What is the update process once carriers release Mango to the general public? Is it a wireless over the network update or is it done through Zune? Also, is a fresh install needed or recommended with Mango?
I'm assuming since there is no way currently to back up apps, msgs, phone logs, etc...and that Mango just installs on top of NoDo and everything on the phone remains. I guess I was just curious if the experts on here recommened a fresh wipe and install of Mango.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Full wipe is not needed Mango will install over Nodo and won't affect anything on your phone all your settings apps PIM data will still be there. This update will install through zune.

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
99.9% sure it will be done through zune just as all updates have.... it should install on top over nodo. therefor we shouldnt lose and phone logs, apps, msgs, ect... im guessing early october still. although it is in the hands of the carriers now, and mango phones will be coming out in september, updates will probably push out in october

smartpatrol

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Yup you should get a notification on your phone that an update is available, and that you should connect to Zune to install it.

That is one pop-up I can't wait to get.

Cyterio

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Yup you should get a notification on your phone that an update is available, and that you should connect to Zune to install it.

That is one pop-up I can't wait to get.

I can't wait either. It's funny, on all other phones I've owned, I've always "rooted them(Android), installed leaked updates (BB), or patched them (webOS). Not because I'm just hack happy with phones, but because I felt the need to, so the phones would operate properly. I am so excited for Mango that I am tempted to install Mango Unofficially, but, I don't think I will. This is the first phone that I am really happy with pretty much straight out of the box, so I don't think I'll take the risk and update early, I can wait.

cdook

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I can't wait either. It's funny, on all other phones I've owned, I've always "rooted them(Android), installed leaked updates (BB), or patched them (webOS). Not because I'm just hack happy with phones, but because I felt the need to, so the phones would operate properly. I am so excited for Mango that I am tempted to install Mango Unofficially, but, I don't think I will. This is the first phone that I am really happy with pretty much straight out of the box, so I don't think I'll take the risk and update early, I can wait.
Yea I hear you. I was tempted to upgrade to NoDo, but ultimately decided to wait. I'm going to try my best to do the same with Mango. With BackBerry eaxh official release there'd always be an annoying bug that would basically force me to get a leaked version. For example the browser would stop responding, wouldn't open and a battery pull was the only way to fix it.

monotok

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
What about us with an unlocked device, who just uses a sim contract without the phone?
Do we have to wait for the carriers even though we are not in a contract etc?

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
What about us with an unlocked device, who just uses a sim contract without the phone?
Do we have to wait for the carriers even though we are not in a contract etc?
Chances are you'll be one of the first to get the update. At least I think that's what's happened with previous updates.

mmbond

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site

what he said...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb