I can't decide if I should stay with android or go to wp7 opnions please

smartpatrol

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
One thing that annoyed me about the Android community was that the answer to everything is "root it and install a custom ROM." That was never a serious option for me, because Wimax 4G still didn't work on any of the custom ROMs.

Don't like the uninstallable crapware from your carrier running in the background? Install Cyanogen mod.

Don't like Sense/Motoblur/Touchwiz? Install Cyanogen.

Your dual-core phone feels slower than an iPhone 4 with its 800 Mhz single-core processor? Install Cyanogen.

You did install Cyanogen, and it still feels slower than an iPhone? And it crashes all the time? Well you should install some other obscure custom ROM. It's blazing fast on my phone, honest to God!

You did install some custom ROM, and now your phone has stability issues? Well, that's the price you pay for being on the bleeding edge.

dakranii

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
You did install some custom ROM, and now your phone has stability issues? Well, that's the price you pay for being on the bleeding edge.

Haha, that's quite funny. :)

I'm tech literate, but I don't want to mess with this stuff to get my phone to work properly. I had a friend who was having trouble getting an outlook contact to show up on her Android. So I started searching for a solution, and all of the solutions involved installing this ROM or that ROM, or some weird work-around solutions, like exporting your contacts to another service, then importing that...headaches.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Just think about what you want in a phone and compare it to what each OS offers.

I want a smooth and fluid experience without having to worry about being outdated in a matter of months. I wanted an equal experience no matter what device I got and have all my apps work and not just certain ones to certain devices. I like to change little things like wallpapers but not to keen on overhauling the whole look of my phone all the time. That's when I realized that iOS/WP7 was something that fits my needs

Clow

Aug 13, 2011
Visit site
http://forums.windowscentral.com/android/180257.htm

here is my opinion, love it or hate it...I have had very much experience with android and I have grown to hate it ...problem after problem, and as far as custom roms go, who wants to fool around with all that crap? I mean its cool for awhile but it should not be required for you're phone to function properly and plus for every gain with a custom rom you will get a loss to go with it. I went wp7 3 weeks ago and I will never even consider going back to android..And I don't know about some but I spent ALOT OF TIME "customizing" my android phone and for what? it to reboot and fc? no thanks man..plus the OS as a whole looks like someone brewed it up in their garage...not wp7 though. do this: look through any android phone forum at the threads and count how many people have posted about battery life and problems with their android phone.

Clow

Aug 13, 2011
Visit site
Both operating systems will be undergoing major revisions in the fall with the release of Windows Phone Mango and Android Ice Cream Sandwich. Both updates could potentially bring what you'd be looking for, if not more to each OS. So for now, I'd sit tight and not worry too much about it.

Who knows when ics will be out? Depending on what phone one has they might never see it...**** they might not even have gb yet. Also my money says (whenever it comes out) it will be buggy just like all the other versions then the carriers and manufacturers will trash it even more. Then all the devs will be scrambling around to try to fix it up via custom roms and screw it up even more...lose, lose situation

dmenglert

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
If you haven't already made your decision here is my two sense, I am pretty much an anything but Apple type of person, I don't hate the technology (although content is king and if my content provider writes in flash I want my device to support it, I don't care about you vendetta).
I am currenlty running and android phone (my second), and I am just a week old with with my Samsung Focus, and like many here have said in one form or another it boils down to use case, if you want to play games ans show off apps to your friends (I chuckle when I think of the Gieco commercial with the Bro-stach app, wich gieco made an actual android app), then Android will probably be better, but don't be swayed by the hardware specs, the best android devices are the least touched by the manufacturers. I had an EVO 4g the stock HTC setup worked well I experienced little in the way of crashes or sluggish response, but it did suffer awful batter life. I rooted it to get Gingerbread, and I hoped getting a bunch of sprint and HTC apps off I would conserve battery, my phone was less stable and got slightly better battery life, but wasn't worth it. I replaced it with a Nexus S from Sprint, a google refrence device and it runs like a champ it boots probalby as fast as my Focus (maybe a tad slower). I find some of the critisims leveled at Android to by Hyperbole much like accusations made at Windows Desktops can you get yourself in trouble by installing junk, sure, but if you take a little care Windows will run just fine. If you are heavily invested in Google services Gmail, Maps, google reader, Lattitude, Google+, google Music Android will be better, not that it can't be done on WP7, but you will have a better experience on android for those things.

On the WP7 front I just picked up a Focus for work (it gave me an exuse to try WP7) and in the week I have had it, I have had a fantastic experience, the UI is second to none, I have had a Zune HD for a year and half so the Metro UI wasn't that different for me. Now there are some apps I miss that I haven't found equivanlents for, (Expensify, Google+, Abby Card reader, Mint.com, my bank doesn't have a WP7 app Android does), but they aren't deal breakers. I love having my phone and zune in one, the gmail tile while not as good, it is good enought, I love the Xbox intergration, it has just been overall a pleasure to use, and I can see me wanting to use my focus more than my Nexus.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3