Nokia would be the perfect Hardware for me...

mmaman

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Why? I came from an iPhone4 (got GS2 now waiting for Mango devices) and while the GS2 has an awesome screen, the phones build is cheap feeling, really light, just doesn't feel high quality, HTC has some great hardware but the S-LCD screens while not bad by any stretch aren't as good as the retina or SAP, so thats where Nokia comes in, awesome hardware combined with their great Amoled Screens=Perfect imo and not to mention that sea ray looks fantastic, the rumors of it not coming to US make me sad...

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I do think that Nokia will do great things for Windows Phone. Even here in the US.

What many people under 35 don't understand is that Nokia used to rule the market here. Many people LOVED their Nokia phones.

And then they seemed to just disappear. Not because of some bad quality or bad reputation. To the average consumer... they were just gone.

But when they come back, people over 35 will remember them. And they will associate positive things with the brand. And they will give it a real good look because of the positives they associate with the Nokia brand.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Nokia use to rule the cheapo phone market in the US. They have never been a hit in the smartphone market in the US.

Because Nokia smartphones haven't been available through carriers. They attempted to sell directly to customers at an unsubsidized price. And that hasn't been successful in the US market.

But to your first point... Nokia ruled the high end phone market in the US. At that time where were no "smart phones." But there were still some pretty expensive phones. Nokia's phones were top grade status symbols.

Last edited:

smartpatrol

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Nokia disappeared in the US because they don't sell their high-end phones subsidized through the carriers. They've already said they will sell their Windows phones subsidized, so expect them to get a LOT more exposure in the USA.

Nokia make the best smartphone hardware aside from Apple. They use Gorilla Glass screens, AMOLED displays, and metal bodies. They have BY FAR the best cameras you can get in a smartphone. They have awesome battery life. OVI maps is supposedly the best mapping/nav software out there. And, all their future phones will have NFC chips.

1jaxstate1, I don't know why you are always so down on Nokia products. I bet when you get your hands on a high-end Nokia WP7 phone, you will be a convert. :)

Sent from my HD7 using Board Express

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Before smartphones, Nokia was high-end.

I remember when I first got this phone.

nokia-8801-4.jpg

And then... when I got this phone people used to crowd around me a clubs staring at it in awe. Like it was magic.

20050807170340821-366x500.jpg

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I dislike Nokia and hope they fail. They didn't even give Meego a chance. I just don't like how they dumped what looked like a good OS. One unproven OS for another.
Nokia disappeared in the US because they don't sell their high-end phones subsidized through the carriers. They've already said they will sell their Windows phones subsidized, so expect them to get a LOT more exposure in the USA.

Nokia make the best smartphone hardware aside from Apple. They use Gorilla Glass screens, AMOLED displays, and metal bodies. They have BY FAR the best cameras you can get in a smartphone. They have awesome battery life. OVI maps is supposedly the best mapping/nav software out there. And, all their future phones will have NFC chips.

1jaxstate1, I don't know why you are always so down on Nokia products. I bet when you get your hands on a high-end Nokia WP7 phone, you will be a convert. :)

Sent from my HD7 using Board Express
They've haven't shown any indication they will bounce back, yet people still believe in them. Not I.

Dagolara

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
Because Nokia smartphones haven't been available through carriers. They attempted to sell directly to customers at an unsubsidized price. And that hasn't been successful in the US market.

But to your first point... Nokia ruled the high end phone market in the US. At that time where were no "smart phones." But there were still some pretty expensive phones. Nokia's phones were top grade status symbols.

I loved my 2160 to death in the mid to late 90s and it still is easily my favorite non smartphone I've ever owned. Like you said earlier, my past Nokia experience will more then likely nudge me in that direction when I'm ready for a generation 2 handset.

ikkf

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
I do think that Nokia will do great things for Windows Phone. Even here in the US.

What many people under 35 don't understand is that Nokia used to rule the market here. Many people LOVED their Nokia phones.

And then they seemed to just disappear. Not because of some bad quality or bad reputation. To the average consumer... they were just gone.
Nokia was all the rage in the late '90s and even more so after the Matrix came out (even though that phone never got sold in the US). But for some reason they didn't have any flip phones here when those were all the rage from about 2003-2006. I remember that was about the time they seemed to disappear from the US.

I remember wanting their communicator phone after watching Val Kilmer use it in The Saint.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I dislike Nokia and hope they fail. They didn't even give Meego a chance. I just don't like how they dumped what looked like a good OS. One unproven OS for another.

You do know that they're still doing Meego development right? There is still a part of Nokia that is working on possible future market disruptions. And Meego is still very much in the mix in the department.

But they know that it's not at a state where it could save the company. There's a whole ecosystem missing.

They've haven't shown any indication they will bounce back, yet people still believe in them. Not I.

Haven't shown any indication that they'll bounce back? I think that investing their time to focus on hardware (which is what they do best) is a great indication that they're getting ready to bounce back.

I think setting up a deal where they get preferential treatment in regards to how they can alter the OS shows that they are getting ready to bounce back.

I think setting up their services like Ovi maps and their deals for marketplace purchases all around the world to be used by Microsoft shows that they are getting ready to bounce back.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Meego will never see the light of day in the US. It's "in the air". Nokia stated that they are done developing for Meego and is all in with WP7. How is WP7 in a state that I could save the company.

They've always invested time on hardware, didn't seem to help them much, or they wouldn't be in the current situation they are in now.

The only way they make a comeback is to flood the market with cheap phones that soccer moms will buy for their kids.
You do know that they're still doing Meego development right? There is still a part of Nokia that is working on possible future market disruptions. And Meego is still very much in the mix in the department.

But they know that it's not at a state where it could save the company. There's a whole ecosystem missing.

Haven't shown any indication that they'll bounce back? I think that investing their time to focus on hardware (which is what they do best) is a great indication that they're getting ready to bounce back.

I think setting up a deal where they get preferential treatment in regards to how they can alter the OS shows that they are getting ready to bounce back.

I think setting up their services like Ovi maps and their deals for marketplace purchases all around the world to be used by Microsoft shows that they are getting ready to bounce back.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Meego will never see the light of day in the US. It's "in the air". Nokia stated that they are done developing for Meego and is all in with WP7.

This is factually incorrect.

While there are no planned devices in the near future using Meego, it is still under development. There is not guarantee anything will come of it. But it is being worked on. It just isn't a focus anymore because there is no way to for it to be able to compete right now.

How is WP7 in a state that I could save the company.

The ecosystem.

Windows Phone 7 will bring Nokia a strong ecosystem that Nokia could not build on its own.

Keep in mind that WP7 doesn't exist in a vaccuum.
There is the Marketplace that is growing faster than any other mobile marketplace before it.
There is the Zune service that is a high quality music service.
Windows 8 is launching soon. And it will have strong integration with Windows Phone.
XBOX and XBOX LIVE are due for another dashboard update later this year that promises to bring even greater integration with Windows Phone.
There is SkyDrive for cloud storage and services.
There are LIVE services. Such as Hotmail.

And it's just the beginning. All of these integrated services will be even bigger and stronger in 2012-2013.

I think the only way to not see what this partnership brings to Nokia is if you purposely don't want to see it.

They've always invested time on hardware, didn't seem to help them much, or they wouldn't be in the current situation they are in now.

Oh. It only helped them become the largest mobile hardware manufacturer in the world.

Their trouble now isn't about hardware. It's about their outdated Symbian OS and the lack of an ecosystem to surround their hardware.

The only way they make a comeback is to flood the market with cheap phones that soccer moms will buy for their kids.

No.

But I'm sure that will be part of their market.

Reactions: wolf1891

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
If I'm remembering correctly Nokia phones used to have very good reception. I'm hoping Verizon gets a WP7 that does better than the trophy. I would definitely get a Nokia.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
My wife has a Nokia feature phone that she doesn't use anymore since she got her Focus. But the reception on that is awesome.

I live in a small valley. I'm surrounded by mountains on 3 sides. My reception on my Focus is really weak. But the Nokia is super strong.

I have guests come over all the time and complain about the reception. But that Nokia feature phone has no problems at all.

smartpatrol

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site

Or how about by:
a. selling devices with an OS that people actually want and
b. selling them through the carriers like everybody else does, instead of only selling them unlocked.

GekkoAce

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
I still remember my first phone. It was the best on the market. I could change my faceplate. It was a Nokia. I think tons of Americans have good memories of Nokia.

I'm hoping Nokia steamrolls the competition in the US now that they finally gave in to the way phones are sold in the US.

Just pllleeease Nokia.. Don't take forever to release your phones.. I can only hold out so long. That HTC Omega looks amaaaazing.

richu75

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
Nokia use to rule the cheapo phone market in the US. They have never been a hit in the smartphone market in the US.

Remember the first full feature phone?
A Nokia Communicator 9000. Seems like something from back to the future now, it was released in '96.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3