thoughts on Windows 8 dev preview?

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
check out the thread on ipad 2 with ios 5 beta vs the windows 8 samsung tablet, in pre-pre-pre-beta...

i also dont think that will be a common scenario, furthermore... that is surely something that will be addressed in an official release... this is going to be big, really big. and MS isnt going to roll out a tablet that has apps that arent compatible with a pc...

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Because that is a MAJOR difference between ARM and x86, I would assume that any salesperson would be sure to point that out.

People know that their Mac and their iPad don't run the same software.

On point 1, this is sales people. Some are good. Some are awful :)

On point 2, true - but Apple have never called Mac OS X and iOS the same thing, whereas the x86 and ARM versions of Windows 8 are (obviously) both called Windows 8 and both appear to be identical. But of course aren't. That's definitely a risk right there.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Actually, we don't know for sure if when the next version of Windows releases, it will be called Windows 8.

And I just have faith that people will eventually figure things out. It's not that hard to understand. If someone is told, they'll understand the difference.

futurix

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Just a few bits:

1. Windows 8 on ARM will have Desktop mode too.

2. Existing Desktop applications can be recompiled to run on ARM.

3. Decision on whether to charge for ARM version or not is up to developers.

4. Tablet that was given to developers at BUILD is a special device tailored to developers' needs (Intel i5 CPU, 4GB of RAM, etc) - that's why it has a fan. The devices for end-users won't have a fan obviously and will be lighter and power efficient.

jimmy1one

Aug 27, 2011
Visit site
Just a few bits:

4. Tablet that was given to developers at BUILD is a special device tailored to developers' needs (Intel i5 CPU, 4GB of RAM, etc) - that's why it has a fan. The devices for end-users won't have a fan obviously and will be lighter and power efficient.
1. I think my friends and I fall into the age group Pronk is talking about in some ways most of us are in our 50's late 40's. The place where we differ is in the acceptance of change, I have not found the resistance to change when the cost to benefit ratio is apparent or conceived as necessary. We understand that legacy has been the ball and chain of the windows OS.
2. There was never any indication of promised legacy operation on any ARM device. Most of us who know about ARM devices have opted out of purchasing one.
3. I watched most of the Windows 8 vids, it was pointed out that a program, sorry app written for windows 8 with automatically run on ARM no matter which language you choose to compile in.
4. An important issue that should be pointed out is people who use a computer in a work environment only have little if any real world concept of system function or operation. They know what a spreadsheet is , a word doc and Powerpoint, processors, 32-64 bit ARM not so much. Here is what they want a system that does not crash, speed , great graphics and sound meaning great multimedia experiences.

BTW way my friends think that overall the most exciting thing is the boot speed and idle time recovery. The idea of more bang for your buck during a transition in the OS has them drooling:lol:

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Just a few bits:

1. I don't think that's accurate. Are you sure? I'd love to see something verifying this since I've only read the opposite.

2. I don't think this is accurate either. Maybe a few applications can be switched over with a few minor tweaks if they were based on managed code. But I don't think that's the case with most.

4. I have a feeling that most (if not all) of the x86/x64 devices will have fans.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
@Pronk I don't think there will be as much confusion as everyone might expect. I've read that MS will pay special attention to the way they market ARM tablets.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
It really shouldn't be that big of change. Right now people know the difference between Home, Professional and Ultimate. MS is just really adding a forth option: ARM. How confusing could that be? The first 3 will have both desktop and metro style and ARM will just have metro. Sounds easy to me.

smartpatrol

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I've been using Windows 8 as my main OS for the last few days. I was skeptical at first but now I'm really warming up to it.

My 2 biggest gripes:
1. No easy way to shut down! You either have to it from the desktop settings menu, or by logging off, unlocking the computer, and selecting the shutdown option.

2. Apps don't always seem to suspend properly. Some games keep running in the background even if you exit out of them. You have to open another app before they suspend.

One minor gripe/observation:
You have to go to the Start screen to launch a desktop app? It seems a bit jarring to have to leave the desktop entirely in order to open a desktop app.

Overall, though, I'm excited about Windows 8. I love the metro interface with live tiles. I definitely love the way Metro apps can suspend/resume so amazingly fast. It's great for performance/battery life. I love the idea that all Metro apps will be able to run on x86 and ARM.

It looks like Windows 8 will have some Touchpad-like features as well. From a leaked image, it looks like you will be able to answer calls/view missed calls, manage text messages, etc. from your Windows 8 device.

Oh yeah and one other thing: I took a picture with my webcam to use as my Windows 8 user picture. Then later I noticed the "Me" tile on my Windows Phone. . . it was updated with that picture! Crazy!

SirHaxalot

May 7, 2011
www.wp7board.com
I'm pretty sure I've read the opposite.

The first time Microsoft showed IE10 to the public they did that on a ARM powered laptop. That was Widnows 7 though as far as the eye could tell but I don't think that they would have mentioned it if they wasn't planing on bringing the desktop experience to ARM devices.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
This one says no legacy programs on ARM: Microsoft planning to market Windows 8 ARM in a unique way, different naming? | WinRumors

Steven Sinofsky, chief of Windows and Windows Live, was forced to admit to financial analysts on Wednesday that typical x86 legacy desktop applications will not run on Windows 8 ARM. Sinofsky said the choice was to ensure the experience of battery life and other ARM benefits are fully supported in Windows 8. Microsoft also wants to shift ARM forwards to be Metro only and avoid some of the pitfalls of the x86 experience of Windows, viruses and malware.

Yes it was stated that you can recompile and it will run. But I think the point they are trying to make is that it's possible, but they would rather not support it as it will degrade ARM performance.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
It sounds to me like the desktop version of ARM will be focused on smaller, less power hungry, productivity applications. But things that may not fit being a Metro Style App for some reason or another. I'm guessing that it would be mostly business stuff.

But power hungry programs like Autodesk Maya likely won't be recompiled for ARM. Even
if ARM became powerful enough, some programs require multiple windows being open at the same time. And some almost require having more than one monitor in order to be used efficiently.

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
It really shouldn't be that big of change. Right now people know the difference between Home, Professional and Ultimate. MS is just really adding a forth option: ARM. How confusing could that be? The first 3 will have both desktop and metro style and ARM will just have metro. Sounds easy to me.

Except that all current versions of windows are basically the same thing and will run the same stuff. An ARM and x86 split means for the first time you'll have two OSs with the same name (unless they do go with some form of clear differentiation) that aren't necessarily compatible at all.

Anyway, we're all basically guessing right now and will have to see what happens!

Sparxy19

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
If MS market this right i think it will be easy for people who are'nt exactly tech savvy to work out the difference between an ARM device and a x86 device.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
Except that all current versions of windows are basically the same thing and will run the same stuff. An ARM and x86 split means for the first time you'll have two OSs with the same name (unless they do go with some form of clear differentiation) that aren't necessarily compatible at all.

Anyway, we're all basically guessing right now and will have to see what happens!

In the same article link I posted above they (MS officials) have realized, from talking to the audience in BUILD, that they will in fact have to make a clear distinction to prevent confusion.

I think one way they could Market is to put Metro (let's call it Metro for now) only devices behind Home or Starter (if it still will exists). So it will be Metro, Starter, Home, Pro, Ultimate. PRetty much everyone knows that the lower you go from Ultimate, the less features you get.

Yep, you're right. It's all a guess. But it's part of the fun! :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss