Anyone notice the tiles on the Start screen re-draw?

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone flipped their Start screen fast and seen the tiles having to re-draw (the tile will be the color of your theme until the image of the app gets drawn on the tile)? I've noticed this in both NoDo and Mango. I thought it was a Mango issue, but since it happens on NoDo also, I'm assuming it happens when you have a lot of apps on your Start screen. It gets kind of annoying sometimes (I'm a UI perfectionist lol).

Also....totally off the topic, but what does the "Calculate CRC" do from the bootloader options?

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
It seems like mine used to not do that. Maybe having more tiles makes it worse. Still better than the twenty to thirty second wait it took my droid to redraw the home screen.

Sent from my Windows 7 phone using Board Express

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Surely you can't be serious. I am, and don't call me surely!

(Sorry couldn't resist scottcraft) ;)

Lol, unfortunately I am serious. I rooted and overclocked my droid and it still had redraw issues. For a brief time I had a good rom/kernel combo that had minimal redraws, but that didn't last long. That makes it difficult to show off your phone.

Sent from my Windows 7 phone using Board Express

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Yes it would do, that's what i keep hearing about Android it works OK after resets then it gets very laggy and slow.

I can't comment on it, as it's the only OS I haven't tried. I've had a brief look through my friends HTC Wildfire and didn't like the old dated icon look.

One of the reasons I chose WP7 was because of the new idea of Live Tiles and the Metro UI. I'm so glad i got on board as it's such a total winner. (IMO)

sandmanfvr

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
I have seen this a couple times on RTM mango. May just be a redraw thing here and there, but I think as more powerful handsets come out it might go away, but it doesn't bother me.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
One of the reasons I chose WP7 was because of the new idea of Live Tiles and the Metro UI. I'm so glad i got on board as it's such a total winner. (IMO)

I agree. I took a chance on WP7 and I'm glad I did. I can't stand my wife's iphone 4 now. It's too sluggish whereas I used it all the time when I had my droid.

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
sorry to bring up an old thread, but has anyone else noticed this?

can anyone confirm that it has been fixed from the leaked ROMS that were released around 2 weeks ago?

I have an Sprint HTC Arrive, so I can't try any of those ROMS. It's getting annoying, as I like to have a lot on my Start Screen, but seeing color instead of my apps kinda sucks because being able to scroll fast is something I love doing due to the hardware acceleration and smoothness of WP7.

Does anyone have detailed, technical info as to why this happening (GPU not powerful enough for quick redrawing)? Or it's just because this is based on Microsoft's code and it doesn't have the proper video drivers from HTC?

VernonEL

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
It's Still A Computer

Has anyone flipped their Start screen fast and seen the tiles having to re-draw (the tile will be the color of your theme until the image of the app gets drawn on the tile)? I've noticed this in both NoDo and Mango. I thought it was a Mango issue, but since it happens on NoDo also, I'm assuming it happens when you have a lot of apps on your Start screen. It gets kind of annoying sometimes (I'm a UI perfectionist lol).
I get it with my Quantum on 7392 every once in awhile. It mostly happens after I rapidly jump around between apps, or if I wake the device up and immediately scroll to the bottom of the start screen.
It aways resolves itself quickly, but I will often give it a reboot just for good measure. I don't mind one bit. I feel like I am giving it a little break!
Like any computer, it can only handle so much at a time.

smartpatrol

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
The reason WP7 is so fast and battery efficient is because it's designed to have the absolute minimum of stuff running in the background. That's why all apps HAVE to support suspend/resume, that's why the UI is designed to use solid colors and simple text rather than fancy graphics, and it's presumably why it has to re-draw everything when you go to the start screen.

cdook

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Yea I've seen this before. Also if you're on the Applications list and scroll down really fast you'll see a gray tile with a little white starburst type icon in the middle. It's not really a big deal as it's pretty uncommon to me. I'm sure this goes away on the new faster Mango hardware.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3