Find My Windows Phone Service Requires Data Connection?

mattyu007

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
I recently purchased a Samsung Focus (yay! :D) on just a voice plan since data would at least double my current monthly fee ($24 voice + $5 text atm, data is +$30), and I also have WiFi almost everywhere I'll be (school / home).

The problem is that I haven't been able to get the Find My Windows Phone service working properly on my Focus even when it's connected to WiFi. I have the "save my location [...] better mapping" box checked, and windowsphone.live.com seems to be able to show the location of the phone at a certain point in the past. However, trying to map it live, ring it, or lock it simply gives a "We've been unable to [action] your phone since your last attempt." The website mentions using text messages to communicate with the phone, so wouldn't that not require a data connection?

I found a microsoft support site that recommended turning the Data Connection switch on (which I obviously can't do because Rogers = 5? / KB.) but I can't seem to find the link to the site anymore. So I just want to confirm: Find My Windows Phone requires a data connection to work?

I've attached a screenshot of windowsphone.live.com if that .. helps.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
I am pretty sure that it does requirte a data plan I have an unlimited d ata plan from ATT from my treo pro and tilt2 winmobile days but I havent had to use that service yet (knock on wood)

mattyu007

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Booo that sucks. :( I was hoping it would be similar to Apple's Find My iThing service (which works over both cellular data and WiFi), but use text messages or WiFi instead...

Rodolfo#WP

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Maybe there's another Find app out there -or coming- that will work over wi-fi. Perhaps checking with the developer of that Apple app. I'm relatively new to the Focus myself and haven't tried any of those apps, so I don't have any better recommendations. Good luck!

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Booo that sucks. :( I was hoping it would be similar to Apple's Find My iThing service (which works over both cellular data and WiFi), but use text messages or WiFi instead...

That's interesting. I don't have any idea how it could possible work over WiFi. I would think with a data connection it would use AGPS to find your location. I have no idea how Apple got that to work over WiFi when the WiFi server could be miles away. Interesting to say the least.

mattyu007

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
That's interesting. I don't have any idea how it could possible work over WiFi. I would think with a data connection it would use AGPS to find your location. I have no idea how Apple got that to work over WiFi when the WiFi server could be miles away. Interesting to say the least.

I think Apple's works as long as the device is able to connect to Apple's servers... Location finding if there's no GPS is probably using WiFi hotspots or triangulation whatevers or something... :unsure:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3