The Android bias at Verizon continues...

Just Visiting

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
@ranzabar - So, did your wife purchase an Android, or did she walk out and order the Trophy online?

If consumers don't stick to their guns about the devices and products that they want, there is no incentive for biased Verizon employee to change their viewpoint about WP - in other words, a biased VZW employee could simply say to themselves "if they say no to Android on the first try, just tell 'em that there is no WP in stock - they'll buy the Android device anyway, and I'll get my commission".

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Well the President of VZN was quoted today as saying that he thinks that the third ecosystem war will be between RIm and WP and he thinks that microsodt will win out. OKay Dude show us VZN's commitment to making MS the winner!!!!

ceeskaz

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Was in a Verizon Store today in SW WA swapping out a work phone and was browsing around and the Rep that was working w/me asked why I was so interested in the Trophy, which by the way had Mango running on it!!! Told him I was a webOS refugee and showed him my beat up Pre+ and said that the Trophy and WP7 was probably the closest and easiest OS out there now besides webOS. Couldn't believe it but he agreed w/me! He said he liked the Trophy and WP7 and where it was headed. Even knew the features of the phone and Mango. Told me he has been trying to steer folks towards WP7 but did't know what new WP7 phones VZW was going to get. It appears that the Trophies now coming out of the Verizon Stores all have Mango on them or will be shortly... my 2 cents.

lycosman

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately, this kind of trouble MS has to face is not exclusive to the US.

A lot of carriers show some despise towards WP, including in Europe. I know my way around tech stuff, and when I go buy something, I usually don't ask for advice (although, personal opinion is appreciated). When I decided to get a WP7 phone, I went to a independent retailer, that sells phones from all three major carriers in Portugal, as well as unbranded devices, but before that I went to several stores from all carriers (TMN, Optimus and Vodafone) and after saying that they hadn't any stock of WP7 devices (they must have got like 3 of them), all three tried to sell me an Android. I hate to be pushed towards I product I don't want. After checking all stores in the whole city, I went to that independent retailer (Media Markt, pretty well known in Europe) and they only had one unit on display of the model I wanted (Optimus 7) but, and this is where I'm getting at, once the girl noticed my interest in WP7, all she did was get me through the options I had within WP7 in case I didn't want that display unit, no personal opinions or biased recommendations. Of course I asked what she though about it, and all she said is that, being an unsupported OS from both carriers and MS itself in the country, it could be a somewhat risky purchase (no news about Mango yet back then, and she had a point).

This is what I always did when it comes to carriers and mobile services: always avoid their stores (although I understand that contracts and stuff may not make this easy, but most people here don't get contracts).

Bottom line is that Microsoft has to work their way around this problem (advertising, advertising, advertising, cool advertising), and, hopefully, Mango is going to help a lot, mostly because it adds support for a lot of new countries and languages, giving WP7 a lot more visibility.

Oh, bu the way, Portuguse carriers ignore WP7 so much that they don't even include them in their catalogs. You have to go there and ask for them.

Last edited:
Reactions: ikkf

KingCrimson

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Just had another salesperson at Verizon try to talk my wife out of a WP7 HTC Trophy for an Android phone. Got the same dance I got when I bought mine a couple of months back...'have you used this phone before?', 'It's not very popular', 'Windows Phone isn't mature yet', 'Android is well supported', 'Not sure you'll like it. Others who have tried it don't' Followed by the usual, 'we don't have any in stock'

While some of the comments are not untrue, they don't speak to the quality of WP7, just the current market penetration and pre-Mango version. And yet, it's still an awesome OS with far more potential for real user satisfaction than both Android and iOS.

I know Microsoft is aware of this game the carriers are playing, but can't they step up their education efforts to get these phones the rightful place they deserve in the sales lineup?

Maybe after Mango and Nokia?

Yeah. Pretty much it's going to have to be Nokia + Mango to break through.

hes so hott

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Yeah. Pretty much it's going to have to be Nokia + Mango to break through.

I read people saying this all the time on this forum, but things continue to go as they Mango nor Nokia will matter bc no one know what a WP7 or Mango is. It starts with more advertising and more focused intensity on making sure that retailers know what they're selling.

Apoc

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I read people saying this all the time on this forum, but things continue to go as they Mango nor Nokia will matter bc no one know what a WP7 or Mango is. It starts with more advertising and more focused intensity on making sure that retailers know what they're selling.

I agree, both companies need to start doing a major push, sort of like they do with Droid & iPhones, a month or 2 ahead of time. As you get closer to the release date, show more and more of the phone itself.

M4arc

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I switched from Verizon to AT&T back in February because I received terrible customer service every time I went into the store. It didn't matter what I was doing or asking they treated me like garbage.

While I'm not as happy with AT&T network (mostly dropped calls) the few times I needed CS I've been extremely happy! I even get follow up calls asking me if I was satisfied.

I guess at this point I'm happier with AT&T because they treat me like a valued customer and not an idiot that stumbled through the door.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
That nice to know M4arc I have had no real issues with the ATT stores in my home twon. There are 2 we didn't get all the new phones in the past and I bought my focu from another attorney who changes phones frequently. So I dont generally go in to buy phones directly. I generally get them off of ebay. About once or twice a year I will go in and look and see what they have. Almost two years ago I did have to buy a new phone from ATT a Pure and I a up for discount next week but I will be waiting to look at and play with the Titan and Focus S before I decide anything!

Wiccan Lagar

Aug 17, 2011
www.mpiofny.com
I have a cousin that works for V. He told me that some guys will talk people towards a popular phone so they don't return it. If someone returns a phone they lose their commission.

I had a rep tell me that when I went to purchase my Pre 2. In hind site I should have bought the iPhone that morning then returned it in the afternoon, killed the commision and walked out with the phone I wanted.

Almost as an Ef you kinda thing to them.

starblade876

Jan 14, 2010
grrrinders.com
I had a rep tell me that when I went to purchase my Pre 2. In hind site I should have bought the iPhone that morning then returned it in the afternoon, killed the commision and walked out with the phone I wanted.

OMG everyone should do that if a rep tries to sell them another phone besides the one they ask for. :ninja:

threed61

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site

Almost as an Ef you kinda thing to them.[/QUOTE

Evil grin for your idea! In retrospect, I kinda wish I hadnt bought my pre 2 and gone straight to the Trophy.

bruceatk2

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
I just picked up a Trophy. I also have a Droid X. I went into Verizon to see what they had for accessories for the Trophy. They had none. The guy tried to sell me some generic 4" screen protectors. I said no thanks. What I found really sad was not only their lack of knowledge and support of Windows Phone. but their lack of knowledge of the Android phones. I was checking out the Bionic and was overhearing two different sales people giving inaccurate information about Android. This was the Concord, NH store.

With their poor knowledge of Android and zero knowledge of Windows Phone it's amazing any Trophy's leave the store.

threed61

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
d
I just picked up a Trophy. I also have a Droid X. I went into Verizon to see what they had for accessories for the Trophy. They had none. The guy tried to sell me some generic 4" screen protectors. I said no thanks. What I found really sad was not only their lack of knowledge and support of Windows Phone. but their lack of knowledge of the Android phones. I was checking out the Bionic and was overhearing two different sales people giving inaccurate information about Android. This was the Concord, NH store.

With their poor knowledge of Android and zero knowledge of Windows Phone it's amazing any Trophy's leave the store.

Welcome! Retail wages don't attract the best and brightest. The store I got mine at actually had 2 staff who knew what they were talking about, but I had to go to 3 different ones to find it in stock.

ikkf

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site

That would be classic. We should all here make that standard operating procedure from now on.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
sometimes I wish I could work at a cell phone company but then i remember that a lot of their customers are disgruntled

Wiccan Lagar

Aug 17, 2011
www.mpiofny.com
wow, didn't realize I was onto something here. Awesome. Go my children! Cause havoc in your local shops! Buy and return! Blame as many sales reps as you can! BE FLEET OF FOOT!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12