Trick your phone to update to Mango!!!

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
MS has a reason for doing a graduated rollout, as all the tech companies that issue remote software updates. They rollout the update to a few to make sure there aren't any issues that crop up with the installation of the new software. That way, if they discover any issues in those few, they can halt the process and make the corrections before it affects EVERYONE'S phone/DVR/computer. It's nice that there are ways you can get it before your number comes up, but this is not a failing of MS. A failure of the rollout would be to roll it out to all phones at once and to have ALL the WP7 phones crash due to installation problems.

Let him sulk

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
If I turn the data connection and wifi off on my phone, Zune says it can't connect to the update service (and, yes, my laptop is connected to the internet :))...

:(

jblank

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
MS has a reason for doing a graduated rollout, as all the tech companies that issue remote software updates. They rollout the update to a few to make sure there aren't any issues that crop up with the installation of the new software. That way, if they discover any issues in those few, they can halt the process and make the corrections before it affects EVERYONE'S phone/DVR/computer. It's nice that there are ways you can get it before your number comes up, but this is not a failing of MS. A failure of the rollout would be to roll it out to all phones at once and to have ALL the WP7 phones crash due to installation problems.

And yet they will release an OS service pack, willynilly, with no concern for that? Sorry, I don't buy it. This is what testing is for.

jblank

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Let him sulk

What's your problem man? I don't approve of how they handle updates.....so what? You wanna give me mouth about it, for what reason I don't know, but I'm gonna tell ya, I'm not the only one feeling this way here, and if you wanna take the ****** route and pretend this is a fantastic way to handle arguably the most important phone software release in the companies history, then so be it. I just don't agree and I think it's a real clusterfoxtrot how they do these and I voiced my opinion.

yeah3x

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
Don't get discouraged if it doesn't work. Took me about 10 tries on my Omnia 7 unlocked. Just try different timing! Thank you so much!!!

DocSc00teR

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Hmmm. This last stage of the update is taking a loooong time, with no real indication of progress. Sitting here at "Step 8 of 10: Installing Updates..." for about 15 minutes now.

EDIT: Ha ha ha! Just as I hit "Post," it bumped to Step 9.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
What's your problem man? I don't approve of how they handle updates.....so what? You wanna give me mouth about it, for what reason I don't know, but I'm gonna tell ya, I'm not the only one feeling this way here, and if you wanna take the ****** route and pretend this is a fantastic way to handle arguably the most important phone software release in the companies history, then so be it. I just don't agree and I think it's a real clusterfoxtrot how they do these and I voiced my opinion.

It's not a ****** rant. It's telling people not to make the mistake I did: baiting into you turning something that HAS came out good into a groan fest when CLEARLY there's another topic for that particular reason. If you are unhappy, check the sticky topics. Otherwise, you're telling us something that either we've felt or feeling already so why should you be any different?

And this is the second topic that you've "voiced your opinion" and there's clearly a solution/workaround to you getting an update on the day of release

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Sussed it. Had to manually turn off the wifi on, both the phone, and the pc, at the same time.

Currently updating to 7403. Fingers crossed for Mango after...

:)

Time to change my sig. :D

jblank

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
It's not a ****** rant. It's telling people not to make the mistake I did: baiting into you turning something that HAS came out good into a groan fest when CLEARLY there's another topic for that particular reason. If you are unhappy, check the sticky topics. Otherwise, you're telling us something that either we've felt or feeling already so why should you be any different?

And this is the second topic that you've "voiced your opinion" and there's clearly a solution/workaround to you getting an update on the day of release

Ok now you're just lying. How many times today have I adamantly stated that I like the phone and love the OS? At least two and I think probably three, and after saying that, after giving that little caveat, THEN, I have criticized something that many people, not just today, but before, have criticized, and that is the update method, that Microsoft uses on these phones.

I certainly know about the workaround and am glad to have the opportunity to get it this way, but my point, if you would stop being a jerk for a moment and read what I said, is that nobody should have to trick the software to get the update, it should be out there for us to get, if we don't get prompted.

In your haste to pile onto me, you're ignoring at least two things I have said, so maybe you should slow down and back the heck off.

jblank

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
The update service from microsoft is way better than the update service for android. This is just a huge chaos :D

Maybe it's bad for some providers, but my brother has a Samsung Facinate (I think that is what it's called) on Verizon, and it's a droid, and he said it's the easiest updating process of any phone he has owned. Now he has never had an iPhone, which is also easy, but still, if it is worse than the updates for WP7, like you say, then why have I never read much complaining on sites like Engadget that are more neutral towards all OS'es?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786