Find My Phone is not working :(

rabit1

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Hi

Does "Find My Phone" features work for you guys?

I got an error message when clicking Find my Phone on windowsphone.com

===========================
Oops...

Something went wrong and we can't show you this page right now.
Go to windowsphone.com
===========================

rabit1

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Ok. Tried that.

Login with my live.com account.
Click My Phone
Then click Find My Phone..

Same error message...

any clues?

VelJharig

May 31, 2011
Visit site
I had a problem using Find my Phone and Ring my Phone from the windowsphone.com site until I went into Settings/Find My Phone and selected "Connect to these features faster (may use more battery". After turning on that setting, everything worked. That setting switches the my phone services from SMS or short code to push notifications, according to the MS site here:

Find My Phone | Find A Lost Cell Phone | Windows Phone 7

I'm on Telus in Canada, so I suspect there is some issue with short code messaging on my carrier here, and the push notifications setting works around it. You might want to give that a try to see if it starts working for you.

Hope that helps.

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I had a problem using Find my Phone and Ring my Phone from the windowsphone.com site until I went into Settings/Find My Phone and selected "Connect to these features faster (may use more battery". After turning on that setting, everything worked. That setting switches the my phone services from SMS or short code to push notifications, according to the MS site here:

Find My Phone | Find A Lost Cell Phone | Windows Phone 7

I'm on Telus in Canada, so I suspect there is some issue with short code messaging on my carrier here, and the push notifications setting works around it. You might want to give that a try to see if it starts working for you.

Hope that helps.

Under find my phone it just needs to say connected. Location services does not have to be on and you dont have to have any boxes checked. you might have to go into the options once before it connects.

VelJharig

May 31, 2011
Visit site
Under find my phone it just needs to say connected. Location services does not have to be on and you dont have to have any boxes checked. you might have to go into the options once before it connects.

No... that is not true everywhere. The service can fail while your phone reports that it is connected. My phone said "connected" under Settings/Find My Phone the entire time that I tried it over the last 2 days (and I went into the options multiple times). It did not work until I turned on the "Connect to these features faster" option, which changes the kind of connection it makes to the phone (as per the article I linked). I can (and have) toggled the setting back and forth as a test. If that setting is not on, windowsphone.com cannot ring or find my phone. If it is turned on, it can immediately ring and find my phone.

As we're talking about short code messages (not SMS) on a carrier network, don't presume that what works for you will work everywhere. The second step on the troubleshooting page for this service (in the link I gave) is to verify that your carrier allows your phone to receive short code messages, and the easiest fix is to switch to push notifications by using the checkbox I mentioned.

rabit1

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Do you have it enabled in your phone settings? Go into Settings>Find my phone and see whether or not it says "connected".

Thanks, but

Yes. on my phone it says "Connected"

Just tried it again, still get the same error..

Am I the only one who has problem with this? I thought it was because the new website is somehow is not working yet...

*EDIT*

Turns out my Account link on the windowsphone.com website also has the same problem.
I can login to windowsphone. I can see my skydrive photos and documents etc, but the two links "Find my Phone" and "Account" don't work.

They give me that "Oops Something went wrong and we can't show you this page right now. " error.

Any clue guys?

Last edited:

wizake

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, but

Yes. on my phone it says "Connected"

Just tried it again, still get the same error..

Am I the only one who has problem with this? I thought it was because the new website is somehow is not working yet...

*EDIT*

Turns out my Account link on the windowsphone.com website also has the same problem.
I can login to windowsphone. I can see my skydrive photos and documents etc, but the two links "Find my Phone" and "Account" don't work.

They give me that "Oops Something went wrong and we can't show you this page right now. " error.

Any clue guys?

Exactly the same thing happens to me too :(
No solution so far :(

It worked before, when the old site was windowsphone.live.com. It found my phone, and I could ring it (never tried lock or erase)
Now, after they redirected it to windowsphone.com.. it doesnt work.
My live account is set to UK, because Romania is not in the supported countries for marketplace.

astroXP

Jul 1, 2011
twitter.com
I can understand why MSFT added the Find my Phone option in the settings (those who freak for GPS location) but what if my phone is stolen, and the thief knows about this feature and decides to disabled it. How would I ever find my phone? :S

---
Edit: I tried to lock my phone from windosphone.com but I got an error as well. I let pass one hour and it is now working. Probably a hiccup from the site/server?

Last edited:

rabit1

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
I can understand why MSFT added the Find my Phone option in the settings (those who freak for GPS location) but what if my phone is stolen, and the thief knows about this feature and decides to disabled it. How would I ever find my phone? :S

---
Edit: I tried to lock my phone from windosphone.com but I got an error as well. I let pass one hour and it is now working. Probably a hiccup from the site/server?

Yes. what happens if the thief turns off FindMyPhone under setting?

Well it's been days and I keep trying several times a day. But I always getting the "Ooops" error.

But I guest the problem may lie elsewhere because I find out that some other links other than "Find my phone" also don't work. Clicking on Account also gives the same error.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
I have a problem too. Every tool from find my phone works on my phone, but doesnt appear in web browser and say "we cant ring your phone" or "we cant lock your phone" i use IE9 and Chrome same problem..

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
There's something seriously screwed up with their site. I can't get to find my phone or purchase history, it all directs to help articles with broken links.

vane0326

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Recently my wife and I both got Windows Phones 8 Nokia lumia 822. I was able to find my phone on the Windowsphone.com website (Even though it was off a bit) BUT my wife's phone would not work. It keep giving an error. Even though I was able to make it ring it would NOT locate the phone. But eventually I was able to get it resolved. I had to reset her phone to Factory Settings and after that the website was able to find my wife's phone.

Last edited:

Ri Francais

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
Relating to the problem....

Well when I try to use 'Find My Phone', it says that I need to set up 'Find My phone' and tick the box. this happens a few times, therefore I'm left having to constantly press 'Find My Phone'... :unhappysweat: Then on top of all that at the end it comes up with a message: ' We're sorry, but we weren't able to find your phone. But please try again later. We might have a better connection in a little while. '

I really need to find my phone, I only got it a couple of weeks ago. :angry:
Thanks. :amaze:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills