An alternative (extreme) way to force update to Mango

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
I have a brand new Samsung Focus, v1.3, 7390. No matter what I did, the trick floating around didn't work. But my wife's Focus, which was on Mango RTM, got a notice to update on day 1. So I got the thinking, maybe MS has prioritzed those on RTM and Beta? So I decided to bring my phone to beta using XDA method. So if you're not willing to wait and don't care about loss of data, here is what I did:

Install Mango Beta: Build 7720 - Now updated with keeping chevron and how to add more languages - xda-developers

*Install Zune beta
*Follow steps 1-12 only
*Once your phone reaches step 12 it will be on 7403
*From 7403, Zune will skip 7712 and update you directly to final build (7720)
*It will then install the Cleanup update we saw before Mango release
*Finally it will install Mango (mine stated Samsung update for Windows Phone)

Cheers :)

EDIT: I have added a couple bullet points above

TIP: I find easier to use www.windowsphone.com to reinstall apps remotely.

For more detailed step by step instructions, check out Desdemona's post: http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-7-os-discussion/181427.htm

Last edited:

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Doesn't sound much more extreme than the nodo "trick" and all that really matters is "Does it work"! Keep us posted

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
It's done.

Software: Windows Phone 7.5
OS version: 7.10.7720.68
Firmware revison number: 2103.11.8.1
Hardware revision number: 3.1.0.7
Radio software version: 2103.11.8.1
Radio hardware version: 0.0.0.3
Bootloader version: 5.8.0.2
Chip SOC version: 0.36.2.0

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
what is zune beta? is it the zune player with the latest update. version no. 4.8.2345.0??

Nope. It was a leaked version for devs. It comes with downloaded file from XDA link in original post. Basically, you take your phone and Zune software to beta Mango and it will update to official Mango from there.

starblade876

Jan 14, 2010
grrrinders.com
I thought you were going to suggest they open a new line and see if Mango is pre-installed on the new phone or the phone is eligible for the update and then, if it is, swap it with the old phone and then cancel the new line, returning the old phone. :ninja: Now, that would be extreme... though I don't know if it's possible... :p

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
I thought you were going to suggest they open a new line and see if Mango is pre-installed on the new phone or the phone is eligible for the update and then, if it is, swap it with the old phone and then cancel the new line, returning the old phone. :ninja: Now, that would be extreme... though I don't know if it's possible... :p

I can't believe I didn't think of that!!! :p

Desdemona

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Nope. It was a leaked version for devs. It comes with downloaded file from XDA link in original post. Basically, you take your phone and Zune software to beta Mango and it will update to official Mango from there.

Thanks Ninjapp. Just so I follow the right path, I download the zune beta software, the mango rtm from forum XDA and then follow this method Build 7720 - Now updated with keeping chevron and how to add more languages - xda-developers and during the process itself, my phone will update to original version of Mango?
Sounding a bit of a noob, but am scared of bricking my phone:(

Desdemona

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Also, all this would be possible with the zune beta software, but once the update has gone through and the phone is officially on mango, do i need to uninstall the zune beta and install the latest version of zune?

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
I'm not sure what you mean by original Mango? The process will take you from 7390 or 7392 to 7403 to "cleanup" to official mango (7720)

You don't have to worry about Zune, because it will prompt you to update sometime during the process. Just say yes to all the update messages you get.

Desdemona

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure what you mean by original Mango? The process will take you from 7390 or 7392 to 7403 to "cleanup" to official mango (7720)

You don't have to worry about Zune, because it will prompt you to update sometime during the process. Just say yes to all the update messages you get.
6.33pm AEST
Update installation as told by you went without a hitch. Now have the following installed

Software: Windows Phone 7.5
OS version: 7.10.7720.68

The firmware number and the rest are all different. After updating it went to cleanup and after that said my phone was up to date. ??
It does seem like mango to me, but then why didnt I get any other notification after the clean up installed?
Any views?
What should I do now?

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
That's it. You are done. The cleanup only shows up for people on Mango beta and RTM. Once the cleanup is done you have Mango. Congratulations :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon