Mango - yes it has multi tasking but ...

mapexvenus

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
So I noticed the following behaviors in at least two apps that are multitasking 'capable': Zune player and TuneIn.

Both apps play music in the background when you switch to something else, but when you use the 'back' button to switch to the background app, the functionality when the app comes to the foreground is limited. Both Zune and TuneIn when brought back to the foreground to not let you go back to the 'home' screen of the app. In TuneIn I am unable to select my favorite stations and pressing 'back' takes me back to the previous foreground app instead of the home screen of the app. Like with Zune.

The only way I can get full functionality of the apps when brought from background to foreground using the task switching functionality of the 'back' button is to go back and re-launch them from either the app tiles or app list.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
I've noticed it too, but it happens in certain instances.

Zune: when selecting a song you normally have to go through artist, album, songs, etc. Once you play a song the "now playing" or "currently playing" screen will actually open in a new window. It is proven by opening the task switcher and you will notice 2 cards for zune, "now playing" and the previous zune screen (ex. album). So naturally, when you press back at that point the screen will go back to album view. Unless, of course you open another app in between.

TuneIn: same idea, if you have a certain station pinned to the homescreen and you open the app from there, it will not allow you to go back to it's main menu, because it has not actually been opened.

mapexvenus

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I've noticed it too, but it happens in certain instances.

Zune: when selecting a song you normally have to go through artist, album, songs, etc. Once you play a song the "now playing" or "currently playing" screen will actually open in a new window. It is proven by opening the task switcher and you will notice 2 cards for zune, "now playing" and the previous zune screen (ex. album). So naturally, when you press back at that point the screen will go back to album view. Unless, of course you open another app in between.

TuneIn: same idea, if you have a certain station pinned to the homescreen and you open the app from there, it will not allow you to go back to it's main menu, because it has not actually been opened.
I'll check this out. However, I continue to believe that this kind of multi-tasking seems different from true multi-tasking on iOS and Android.

ceeskaz

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
True multi-tasking lived and died w/webOS... now that was the way to handle going from one app to the next w/the cards and gestures. webOS refugee here waiting on VZW to hopefully announce their new WP7 phone since webOS is going nowhere fast now! Wish MS could take the best of webOS multi-tasking and incorporate into WP7...

cdook

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I'll check this out. However, I continue to believe that this kind of multi-tasking seems different from true multi-tasking on iOS and Android.

WP7 has a nearly identical system to iOS for multitasking. The app gets dehydrated, but agents are allowed to update the app's data in the background.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
True multi-tasking lived and died w/webOS... now that was the way to handle going from one app to the next w/the cards and gestures. webOS refugee here waiting on VZW to hopefully announce their new WP7 phone since webOS is going nowhere fast now! Wish MS could take the best of webOS multi-tasking and incorporate into WP7...

Microsoft has a voting website where people can put in requests for things to include in the next update and vote on items in the lists. It was 32 pabes the last time I checked. There's an article about in the news here at WPC several days ago this week!. Put in a request for that it ir something similar may be chosen and worked out. With KP out of the tablet smartphone business maybe MS could work out a deal for webos sale or license it.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
It depends on the app. If the app is fully Mango enabled, you'll get better refresh via Microsoft's multitasking implementation but for apps, like Alpha Jax that need to be updated for Mango before I delete it from my phone forever, not so much.

threed61

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site

I'll take wp style fast switching over the slower speeds and lagginess that ?true? multitasking gave me on my pre and pre2. Background streaming needs improvement though.

mapexvenus

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
WP7 has a nearly identical system to iOS for multitasking. The app gets dehydrated, but agents are allowed to update the app's data in the background.

Not really. The same apps that I mentioned (with the exception of Zune player) including other apps works differently on iOS i.e. full functionally of the app is available when brought from background to foreground.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Not really. The same apps that I mentioned (with the exception of Zune player) including other apps works differently on iOS i.e. full functionally of the app is available when brought from background to foreground.

Maybe the apps need to be rewritten. I thought when you switched apps with the back button you would have full functionality of the app, but I could be wrong.

Sent from my Windows 7 phone using Board Express

theman60099

Banned
Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
sorry user error all the way, I don't have this issue when listening to music in Zune, it usually takes me back to the main page of the app or I just usually select it back in the task switcher. this implementation of multitasking is better than anything else and i really wish people would stop complaining about it.

failmatic

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
True multitasking came and went with webos. It maybe not optimized but it was great while it was available. I just came over from the Pre- to WP7. It was frustrating until I learn I can force Mango update on HTC Arrive. Mango and this form of task switch makes WP7 better, not perfect. It can be better. Its not complaining, its critique.

mapexvenus

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
True multitasking came and went with webos. It maybe not optimized but it was great while it was available. I just came over from the Pre- to WP7. It was frustrating until I learn I can force Mango update on HTC Arrive. Mango and this form of task switch makes WP7 better, not perfect. It can be better. Its not complaining, its critique.

Thank you. I have no patience for anyone can't tell the difference between 'critique' and complaining. Also no patience for fanboys either, and they're usually the ones that can't tell the difference.

theman60099

Banned
Sep 22, 2011
Visit site

well its better than anything iOS and Android can offer.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss