Mango GPS "Voice Navigation" is a complete joke

Pete C

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Ok...I am really angry with MS on this feature. The key feature of any navigation system is that the voice will tell you before you have to turn. This navigation doesn't even tell you that a turn is upcoming. I just drove to work, and the only sound the voice made was when I changed route and it had to re-calculate. Then it game me the next street name to turn on. After that, I went through every turn without a single announcement. Only while or after making a turn, the system would make a little noise to let you know you were on track. What is the point of this navigation feature? You can't even use it if you are not looking at the screen. They clearly added voice, as she does say certain things, but not announcing upcoming turns? This is utterly useless and how MS could put this crap out there is beyond me. Has anyone had successful turn-by-turn voice with this or is it just me?

Side rant, Bing tried to route me onto an on-ramp that's been closed for 2 years. This is in Orlando, not in the middle of nowhere and not overseas...it should be more current. Add that to the fact that Local Scout returns some businesses that have been closed for a decade. Great job MS, Bing Maps is really on top of things.

Last edited:

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
maybe the maps need to be updated. As far as bing navigation it has been repeatedly said here and on other windows phone sites that the api for turn by turn is locked down by Navteq and until the issues are resolved turn by turn is pretty much worthless in WP

mmbond

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Ok...I am really angry with MS on this feature. The key feature of any navigation system is that the voice will tell you before you have to turn. This navigation doesn't even tell you that a turn is upcoming. I just drove to work, and the only sound the voice made was when I changed route and it had to re-calculate. Then it game me the next street name to turn on. After that, I went through every turn without a single announcement. Only while or after making a turn, the system would make a little noise to let you know you were on track. What is the point of this navigation feature? You can't even use it if you are not looking at the screen. They clearly added voice, as she does say certain things, but not announcing upcoming turns? This is utterly useless and how MS could put this crap out there is beyond me. Has anyone had successful turn-by-turn voice with this or is it just me?

Side rant, Bing tried to route me onto an on-ramp that's been closed for 2 years. This is in Orlando, not in the middle of nowhere and not overseas...it should be more current. Add that to the fact that Local Scout returns some businesses that have been closed for a decade. Great job MS, Bing Maps is really on top of things.

Patience Pete. It's a well known licensing issue. Use a third party app for now. Certainly the Nokia partnership will resolve this in the coming months. Patience...

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Idk about you guys...but I actually kind of like it. Yea, you have to tap, but you still don't have to look down at your phone. Here's an example of how I used it:

I was heading to a friends house, but got detoured because of construction and had to get on a different road. I searched for the place (have his address saved in my contacts) and the maps navigation started speaking.

Yes, I did have to tap my phone, but I was still looking up and driving and able to pay attention because it says the amount of distance between your current position and next turn so you know when to pay attention and look for the street. For me (although it's not the BEST solution) I think Microsoft did the best they could and the result was something that is still functional, useful, and (for the most part) safe if you use it correctly...

cdook

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Yea I think Microsoft did the best with what they could. I think the solution is kind of dangerous, having to look at the screen and tap after a command has been completed. Luckily I've got other GPS options, but I hope everyone stays safe with it.

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
I just don't understand why I can have real turn-by-turn on Bing using my WinMo 6.5, but now the feature is unavailable to MS. Did something happen in the few years since Bing for 6.5 was released?

ElektroDragon

Nov 23, 2011
Visit site
Speaking of which, I'm new to WP7 and want to know what the best GPS software is for my Titan?? The AT&T Navigator thing wants $10 a month! Is there no free option?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3