Speech to text questions, like entering punctuation

dakranii

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Just curious, how do you enter a period or comma, or start a new sentence in speech to text? My text messages are all run on sentences when I use it.

I said "period" once but it spelled out period. :)

Captain Primus

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
Just curious, how do you enter a period or comma, or start a new sentence in speech to text? My text messages are all run on sentences when I use it.

I said "period" once but it spelled out period. :)

Bump

Anyone ever work this out?

Sorry if this is obvious but i can't find it anywhere.

sp3ci4lk

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Bump

Anyone ever work this out?

Sorry if this is obvious but i can't find it anywhere.

You can't. Windows Phone doesn't support any punctuation, the exception being that it seems to automatically add a question mark to the end of anything that begins with who, what, when, where, how, or why. Aside from that. There's nothing Period (pun intended)

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
No speech recognition software is 100% perfect. Look at all these common homophones in the English language: List of English Homophones

I have a contact named Leeanne, but it thinks I am saying Lee and .... so it can't ever find the contact. :D

Captain Primus

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
You can't. Windows Phone doesn't support any punctuation, the exception being that it seems to automatically add a question mark to the end of anything that begins with who, what, when, where, how, or why. Aside from that. There's nothing Period (pun intended)

That's a shame. The accuracy is very good and i find myself using it more and more. Still quicker to say the message and add the punctuation after so that will do for now.

They should maybe combine buttons on the screen with speech to allow you to add punctuation while you talk. Or maybe certain sounds could be used instead of words...although how can you tell someone 'make a 'click' sound' :straight:

mauxnix

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
I've found that if you speak one sentence at a time, and let it repeat it back to you, it will add a period in between each segment. Just keep saying "add more" to speak additional sentences. Oops, that's for Windows 8 phones. I don't know if it works for earlier ones - sorry!

robadr

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
Appreciate the tips here.

I just bought a cheap Nokia Lumia 610 with Windows 7. It turns out that in addition to 'who/what/when/where/why/how' situations, it will also add a question mark if I start the text with 'Do you...' (as in 'Do you want to go for coffee at 10:30?').

This is a great improvement over my initial efforts (i.e. 'Want to go for coffee at 10:30 question mark.') !

Also works with 'Can I...', 'Are you...', but not with 'Shall' or 'May'.

My phone doesn't seem to have the 'add more' feature, but it does add a period at the end of the text. I guess I'll have to manually add periods if I'm texting several sentences.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes