Mango Podcast Subscription issue

dawindbag

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
One of my most anticipated features for Mango was the ability to subscribe and download podcasts directly to my phone. Unfortunately MS botched the implementation completely.

Problem 1: Previously podcasts were managed through Zune. Zune had a setting to only sync unplayed podcasts and it removed played podcasts from the device. When you subscribe to a podcast on the phone played podcasts are not removed until a new one is downloaded to replace it. This wastes space.

Problem 2: Played/unplayed status does not migrate from Zune software to WP7. If I listen to a podcast on my Zune HD or on my PC but I have a subscription set up on my phone that played status is not propagated to the phone. When I listen to a podcast that's subscribed on my phone, that played status isn't pushed to the zune software.

Problem 3: Podcasts subscribed to on the phone are not synced to the PC via zune. The subscription is not transferred and you need to subscribe in both places to get content on both devices. Everything is downloaded twice, once locally when it's subscribed on the PC and again it's downloaded to the phone when subscribed there. This creates duplicates.

All in all, MS couldn't have screwed up the implementation of this feature any worse. I seems to assume that WP7 owners are going to abandon Zune PC as a podcast subscription client altogether with Mango. I might be able to do that if I didn't want to keep using my Zune HD. I'm HUGELY disappointed in this. Smartphones are all about content, managing it is critical. They failed here badly.

KingCrimson

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
One of my most anticipated features for Mango was the ability to subscribe and download podcasts directly to my phone. Unfortunately MS botched the implementation completely.

Problem 1: Previously podcasts were managed through Zune. Zune had a setting to only sync unplayed podcasts and it removed played podcasts from the device. When you subscribe to a podcast on the phone played podcasts are not removed until a new one is downloaded to replace it. This wastes space.

Problem 2: Played/unplayed status does not migrate from Zune software to WP7. If I listen to a podcast on my Zune HD or on my PC but I have a subscription set up on my phone that played status is not propagated to the phone. When I listen to a podcast that's subscribed on my phone, that played status isn't pushed to the zune software.

Problem 3: Podcasts subscribed to on the phone are not synced to the PC via zune. The subscription is not transferred and you need to subscribe in both places to get content on both devices. Everything is downloaded twice, once locally when it's subscribed on the PC and again it's downloaded to the phone when subscribed there. This creates duplicates.

All in all, MS couldn't have screwed up the implementation of this feature any worse. I seems to assume that WP7 owners are going to abandon Zune PC as a podcast subscription client altogether with Mango. I might be able to do that if I didn't want to keep using my Zune HD. I'm HUGELY disappointed in this. Smartphones are all about content, managing it is critical. They failed here badly.

Looks like a bug, I'm sure MSFTies are on it!

dawindbag

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
I contacted MS support via chat about this today and they confirmed that it's an identified bug and they've gotten a lot of complaints about it. Supposedly they are working on a fix. Hopefully it's released before Apollo, but I'm not optimistic considering the pace thus far.

With luck it will be dealt with via a Zune update.

foosball

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
Ok, can someone explain how to manage podcasts OTA on a podcast by podcast basis?

I don't see a way to individually download podcasts. For example I deleted a podcast on my phone and see no way to redownload via the phone and am forced to connecting it to Zune on my PC.

Coffee

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
your zune marketplace has a podcast section now straight from your phone. go there, search for your podcast, hit subscribe.

if you just want one episode, long hold the episode name and the download option will come up.

foosball

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
your zune marketplace has a podcast section now straight from your phone. go there, search for your podcast, hit subscribe.

if you just want one episode, long hold the episode name and the download option will come up.

Thanks! I had no idea that if you scroll all the way down it has a "Marketplace" section within the podcasts.

Ok, so am I SOL if I have a podcast subscription which I manually subscribed to on Zune desktop which is not in the marketplace?

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre