Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    I know this is probably a dumb question but is there any way to stop a song instead of just pausing it? I'm really starting to like Zune and all it does but it irks me to no end that everytime I press the volume button on my phone, there's the song I was listening to, forever paused and fully loaded to start blasting if I accidentally tap play. The only way I found so far is to completely power off the phone and power back on..

Global Posts
    586 Global Posts
    Nope, pause is the stop for all intents and purposes.
    GT: ChaddMaia
    Banned

uh oh,sounds like another complaint.

Only way I ever found was to restart the phone and that seems a bit harsh :)

It mostly make no difference except that since it paused it is possbile to accidentally restart the song. I guess we would call that **** playing instead of **** dialing?
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by gerrymad View Post
    Only way I ever found was to restart the phone and that seems a bit harsh :)

It mostly make no difference except that since it paused it is possbile to accidentally restart the song. I guess we would call that **** playing instead of **** dialing?
    not possible because capacitive screens don't respond to anything other than fingers or capacitive styli.

Global Posts
    3,764 Global Posts
    Yeah I used to re-start the phone everytime, until I learned that using the back button quickly close the volume screen ;).
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Pushing the back button..didnt know that, thanks. The paused song could at least stop after a certain amount of time or at least it could be an option in menu/settings. Not enough customization on wp.

Global Posts
    3,764 Global Posts
    I think it stops after a while. Or maybe not, I'm not sure because I tend to turn off the phone a lot, because I get Sim problems.
    Last edited by Winterfang; 10-08-2011 at 01:02 AM.

Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    Pre mango im 99% sure that if u just skipped through a cd, then it would end, and there would be no song on que, but post mango it just restarts. But I think playing music from a 3rd party app closes out the qued song from the music hub

Quote Originally Posted by theman60099 View Post
    not possible because capacitive screens don't respond to anything other than fingers or capacitive styli.
    Actually inadvertant dialing happens even with capacitive screens. Putting the phone in your shirt pockets can be close enough to the skin to trigger dialing. I know this from experince. I have learned to be sure to lock my phone before putting it my pocket because of this.

Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    What are some 3rd party apps that play music?.. And while I'm asking, does anyone know of any apps that add more colors or backgrounds?

Global Posts
    3,764 Global Posts
    Last.FM plays music and so does the HTML version of Pandora which you can pin on the screen.

There's not app that ad more colors, you need an unlocked developer version.

Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jdd77 View Post
    I know this is probably a dumb question but is there any way to stop a song instead of just pausing it? I'm really starting to like Zune and all it does but it irks me to no end that everytime I press the volume button on my phone, there's the song I was listening to, forever paused and fully loaded to start blasting if I accidentally tap play. The only way I found so far is to completely power off the phone and power back on..
    well, a song is going to play if you accidently tap 'play' whether it's paused or stopped. For all intents it is 'stopped', it's just stopped in the middle instead of jumping back to the beginning. It's not like it's cycling and waiting desperately for you to hit play, it's just a marker in the song timeline.
    Banned

I can't believe that someone actually complained about this. I wonder what the next complaint will be.

Global Posts
    308 Global Posts
    If you play a video that's stored on your phone (i.e., one you recorded or one you synced through Zune), it removes the quick music player from the volume drop down. Also, you don't need to play through the whole video; you can pause the video and it'll still remove the mini-player.
    Last edited by starblade876; 10-09-2011 at 01:22 AM.
    ♥♥♥
    Thanked by:
    Winterfang and Judge_Daniel like this.

Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    well, a song is going to play if you accidently tap 'play' whether it's paused or stopped. For all intents it is 'stopped', it's just stopped in the middle instead of jumping back to the beginning. It's not like it's cycling and waiting desperately for you to hit play, it's just a marker in the song timeline.
    still I think it should be an option..sometimes I like that it's paused because I want to resume later..but I would also like to be able to stop the song if Im working or done listening. I listen to alot of music and do alot of things musically so I just think it's odd there's no stop button in a music player. Maybe that's why it bothers me more than other people..
    Banned

still I think it should be an option..sometimes I like that it's paused because I want to resume later..but I would also like to be able to stop the song if Im working or done listening. I listen to alot of music and do alot of things musically so I just think it's odd there's no stop button in a music player. Maybe that's why it bothers me more than other people..
    nope its fine. if ur worried about accidentally hitting play in public just turn the volume to 0,I'd like to note than I've never done this.

There is no "stop" on the iOS music player either. To get a song playing from the beginning you have to hit the "previous" button or scrub back.

Global Posts
    700 Global Posts
    Ehh it could be worse. On my BlackBerry there was a physical button that would unpause the audio. There were a few times I'd be walking in public and hear people talking, only to find it was a podcast playing.

Atleast with it being virtual buttons you have to toggle the screen and use your fingers to start the audio.
    [VZW] HTC Trophy owner
    [Follow me: Xbox Live | Twitter]
    theman60099 likes this.

Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    I was looking for ringtones in the app market when I stumbled upon a whole list of albums of scary Halloween ringtones. Each one cost 99 cents or something, and there was a little play arrow next to each tone so you could preview it. After a few seconds I had enough and exited out of marketplace but it kept playing! And then the next tone and then the next.. I had to preview another sound in marketplace just to stop it. But it didn't stop, its PAUSED and now when I use the volume, scary ringtone #5 pops up ready to resume.. Looks like I gotta shut down my phone and restart just to clear it off. Again..a stop button would be a little more logical...

Global Posts
    1,331 Global Posts
    I was looking for ringtones in the app market when I stumbled upon a whole list of albums of scary Halloween ringtones. Each one cost 99 cents or something, and there was a little play arrow next to each tone so you could preview it. After a few seconds I had enough and exited out of marketplace but it kept playing! And then the next tone and then the next.. I had to preview another sound in marketplace just to stop it. But it didn't stop, its PAUSED and now when I use the volume, scary ringtone #5 pops up ready to resume.. Looks like I gotta shut down my phone and restart just to clear it off. Again..a stop button would be a little more logical...

To say you need a stop button is just being stuck in an old PHYSICAL media mindset and somewhat shows we as a population don't have a grasp on what our items are actually doing...

In the old world...pause meant the tape would stay out of the cassette, ready to play where as stop would remove the tap from its mechanics and allow you to remove the cassette. When we moved to CD, pause would stop the electrical eye from moving but the disc kept spinning ready to play, when stop would shut the thing down.

Now, in the MP3 on Phone age, your phone stays on, so there is absolutely no point in a stop button because you aren't wasting battery with a spinning disc or need to remove the tape from the mechanics of the player... a "stop" button would perform ZERO benefit except to calm the mind of people stuck in the past...so that is why it is not needed and not present.
    theman60099 likes this.

Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    I never owned an mp3 player or an iPod, and never used my phone as a music player before so I didn't know that.. But still I think the option would be nice to have, it just kinda feels sloppy to me that things are just paused and hanging there whenever you use the volume key instead of just being done with it till I decide to use it again.. Just personal preference, didn't know that's how they all are... Like anything else, I'll just have to get used to it.

Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    well, keep in mind that it's not just about music tracks - you can pause a podcast or audiobook and you'd WANT to pick that back up in mid-track. And again, nothing is 'hanging', it's just pointing at a spot on the track. Nothing is moving, spinning, whirring, or hanging around.
    Thanked by:
    jdd77 
    Banned

I should also note that my Amiga says that the default media player in Android also DOES NOT have a stop button
    Thanked by:
    jdd77 

Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    I downloaded last.fm yesterday, put my favorite artist in the radio search and like Pandora it played all stuff related..a little better than Pandora even. And the best thing..there IS a stop button! And when I used the volume button after I stopped the song, the artist, song title, unpause, forward and back buttons didn't clumsily drop down next to the volume meter. Very clean! I pinned the app to my homescreen and now I can listen to music when I want and use my phone as a phone when I want and its not all meshed together.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast