Battery life problems after Mango? This might be the fix!

TaliZorah

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I have an Arrive and after Mango my battery life was reduced to 50%. I tried EVERYTHING... or so I thought.

Then I thought maybe a phone reset would work. Well, as much as it's a pain in the butt to re-set up your phone IT WORKS!

Well it did for me! *Hugs the Arrive*

Oh and yeah make sure all connections you don't use are off! When you reset you phone it auto turns on wifi, location, and zune connection!

Last edited:

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I noticed that my battery life was amazing today. Good if not better than it was pre-Mango. However, I didn't use the People hub at all today and I wonder if that has something to do with it.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
I'm going to reset mine today for other reasons but I'm hoping it will resolve some battery issues I am having.

gerrymad

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
You can also try just running your phone down until it stops. When I first did the upgrade this summer my battery seemed a little short lived until one time I could not recharge it when it got down to zero. I ended up running with zero battery for several hours before the phone finally shut down. Now things seem more normal again.

L

lumic

I recently started getting really terrible battery life. The phone is draining around 15% with the screen off. Does anyone know what could be a potential cause? I really don't want to hard reset, because I've got Mango with jailbreak intact...

TaliZorah

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
You can also try just running your phone down until it stops. When I first did the upgrade this summer my battery seemed a little short lived until one time I could not recharge it when it got down to zero. I ended up running with zero battery for several hours before the phone finally shut down. Now things seem more normal again.
I tried this. I tried everything. Turned off ALL connections except cellular... etc. etc. The biggest thing for me was that I didn't change anything at all between NoDo and Mango but with Mango I had worse battery life. That should NOT happen.

When you say 'reset' you mean reinstalling Mango?
No, by reset I mean going into settings then about phone then clicking the reset phone option. When you do this it erases ALL data but leaves the OS intact. AKA Mango stays installed but it basically returns the phone to "out of the box" status. The only thing is that it does not roll-back the OS version. So it's bascially what a brand new mango phone would look like.

I recently started getting really terrible battery life. The phone is draining around 15% with the screen off. Does anyone know what could be a potential cause? I really don't want to hard reset, because I've got Mango with jailbreak intact...
When you do the reset Mango stays intact so I guess you would just have to jailbreak it again.

mmbond

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
worked for me! got 24.5 hours out of the phone before it completely died on me. i did not use it continuously but i used it frequently. very pleasantly surprised! btw, this was without using battery saver

cdook

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I did a reset last week and I'm back to the phone saying I'll have 8 hours battery life from a full charge. I installed BoardExpress and the Stocks apps the night before. Could one of those be doing it? They've since been uninstalled, but my time is still low.

Snow

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site
My samsung omnia7 lost 37% of battery in 10-11hours when the screen is locked and im not doing anything with it except mayb when my alarms rang twice. Is 37% in 10-11hrs alot?? And does live tiles and toast notification drain battery?

TheRealRoach

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Worked for me.

After a steady decline in battery life I bit the bullet and hard reset the phone. Immediately upon power back up the battery life read 1 day 5 hours, whereas in previous days the best I was seeing was 10 hours. So, 10hrs improved to 29hrs. We'll see if that's how it actually performs.

When I was only seeing 10hrs of activity (and I did run the battery all the way down a few times and the best I got was 12 hrs) I had location off, wifi off, xbox live off. But thru wp7 i was signed into facebook linked in and twitter. I had lots of apps, but my last attempt at improving battery life before resetting was to kill all third party apps, but it didn't make a difference.

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Isn't that usage just an estimate though based upon a history of your usage? So by resetting the phone you are just resetting the stats counter possibly?

TheRealRoach

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Isn't that usage just an estimate though based upon a history of your usage? So by resetting the phone you are just resetting the stats counter possibly?

Partially true. It seems to estimate the remaining time based on an average of recent load/usage.

Regardless, in my case the battery life is staying put at it's new level. I started the 3rd day of use since my original post with the meter reading 1 day 7 hours remaining (where my previous best was 10 hours). So, today I unplugged from the charger at 8am, and used it fairly lightly (sent a few emails, twitter, fb, and google mail's all logged in, location on, wifi on, 3g on), and it's not 6pm (10hr later) and I'm shoing 76% battery remaining/21 hours remaining.

Happy!

I've only reinstalled a fraction of all the original crap I had on my phone, but still a few tasks that run in the background and update tiles/push, etc: Carbon (with full notifications activated), Facebook (same), and Wonder Reader (same).

Interestingly, yesterday I re-installed "Armed!"the only game that I really played, and instantly I saw my battery expectancy drop back into a terrible zone of approximately 10% per hour. Even with notifications off and the app not even running in the past hour something was still sucking life from the battery at about 3 times the regular rate. I uninstalled the game, and battery life is again normal. Smoking Gun perhaps? I suppose I would have to actually let the phone drain down once with the app installed and once without, to really know... but I need to use my phone and don't want to just use it for experiments.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)