What's the point of the Bing search image results?

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
OK, so using Bing from the search button now has images come up when you do a search. Nice, but you can't do anything with the images other than go to the site they came from. There are no options to pin or save them, a long press does nothing, and the only way you can save them if you want them is to click through to the website linked, wait for the page (and the image) to load again, THEN you can save it. And if you want to use another picture instead, it's back to Bing to start the whole process again.

This seems like a pretty clumsy oversight - it's actually quicker to open IE, run an image search in Google and then you can pick whatever picture you want, open it and save it.

Does it work differently for anyone else?

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Bit long winded I agree Pronk. I like all the thumbnails together like that though so i can choose which one i like best.

Could have been implimented better for sure. :)

theman60099

Banned
Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
but why use Google when Bing is integrated with the device? the idea with images is to show some of what can be found across the web, if u want to see more u can goto the web search and their respective sites. sorry u couldn't figure that out in ur bash mode.

drnikki

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
but why use Google when Bing is integrated with the device? the idea with images is to show some of what can be found across the web, if u want to see more u can goto the web search and their respective sites. sorry u couldn't figure that out in ur bash mode.

Actually I think you and Pronk agree about the facts here. Using Bing as integrated with the device adds extra steps, as you say yourself--after you use Bing search and find the image you want, then you have to go to the browser, reload the picture and download it from there. If what you're expressly trying to do is find an image you like and save it, it is faster to just open the browser and do your image search there, using whichever search engine you like better.

It seems as though these discussions feel like personal attacks to you, and I'm very sorry about that. We all love Windows Phone here. There's nothing wrong with wanting to make it better.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
yeah i agree once you click on the thumbnail , and see the FULL size picture you SHOULD be abble to save it or what not...

but u inlarge it (100% useless step unless your freaking blind) then have to click on the site....

foosball

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
The larger point that is raised is that MS has alot of moving parts surrounding this OS and they all are "under construction" so to speak. Between the Bing Team, the WP7 team, the Xbox Team, Windows 8 Team you can see the pieces are moving in the same direction but it's not like everybody is in unison.

I get the feeling that all of these Teams will refine their pieces of the puzzle to work better with all the other puzzle pieces over time. I really like what MS is doing and there are definitely gaps in the functionality of the user experience but this is a massive undertaking. I hope MS keeps improving fast enough to make this worth the wait and all the while keeps WP7 relevant and compelling for this fledgling OS to achieve critical mass.

Last edited:

Coffee

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
by the way, every suggestion I feel is something valid in these forums (like this one) is submitted to the windows phone team. I don't have any special connection with them any more than you do, but I think the direct suggestions may help in future modifications and may be something they just haven't thought is useful.

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Agreed. Once you open it from the thumbnail you should be able to press/hold and pin, save, send, share from there.

SET IT UP ON THE MS IDEA SITE! I'll give you one of my votes.

Believe it or not, I actually miss the News pivot. I use News quite a lot on the desktop and used to on NoDo as well. Shame. :(

You know the "NEWS" is still there, at the bottom of the "WEB" tab. It isn't gone, it is just one flick away (just a flick down instead of right)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans