People tile vs Me tile - interesting battery observation!

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Up to last night, I've usually had the people tile pinned so I can get quick access to facebook/twitter updates etc., but I realised that as I usually drop in and out of the facebook/twitter apps anyway what would actually be more useful would be to have the Me tile and just see notifications. So I swapped them out.

Previously, my battery life (HTC Mozart, Mango, Mugen 1800 mAh extended battery) was always coming in at about 1 day 15 hours or so from full charge to empty. Today, after doing nothing else other than switching People for Me, it's reporting I'll beat 2 days and get close to 50 hours! That's almost half a day more!

It might just be coincidence, but I haven't changed anything else. Could the People tile really be pulling down so much data or updating so often that it's burning through 10 hours of juice?

Anyway, something to try if your battery life is a bit disappointing!

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Well yes and no. Unless something else freaky is going on, it looks like some live tiles use a lot more battery than others.

theman60099

Banned
Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
I don't notice any significant decrease in battery life between mango and NoDo. any weak battery life I get is because of the crappy towers in my city but other than that it's not really that bad.

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Crazy battery update: 2 days 5 hours since last charge!!!

Whatever the people tile was doing, it seems to use a LOT of power in the background.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Crazy battery update: 2 days 5 hours since last charge!!!

Whatever the people tile was doing, it seems to use a LOT of power in the background.

Interesting find. I'm gonna try that tonight on my Focus and see if I notice any changes in the battery life.

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
OK, phone finally gave out and shut down (according to the info on the Battery Saver screen) just before 2 days, 8 hours. Granted that's with the extended battery, and mostly on wi-fi but even so - that's pretty stellar. I also live in a lousy signal area, so it'll have been hunting for frequencies for some of that time too.

It has *never* lasted that long before, and the only thing I've changed is dropping the People tile from the start screen in favour of the Me tile. Going to give it a full charge this evening then see how long it'll go this time.

wolf1891

May 12, 2011
Visit site
Extended battery is the way to go!

i would KILL for an extended battery... unfortunately the DVP doesn't seem to have much in the way of viable options in that realm so... I have to settle for just being jealous of you lucky folks who do have a more serious battery in their phone.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Not going to dispute the People vs. Me battery claim, but it would be hard to understand why this would be the case. Facebook updates don't occur till you actually open the People hub. And background tasks like updating you phone book occur in the anyway (I believe when Hotmail syncs).

The only difference would be the way the People tile displays multiple random images and the Me tile flips between two panels.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

Mateosmith

May 12, 2011
Visit site
I would like to see a battery comparison, with someone with no live tiles, compared to a considerable amount of live tiles, and see the difference in battery usage

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Not going to dispute the People vs. Me battery claim, but it would be hard to understand why this would be the case. Facebook updates don't occur till you actually open the People hub. And background tasks like updating you phone book occur in the anyway (I believe when Hotmail syncs).

The only difference would be the way the People tile displays multiple random images and the Me tile flips between two panels.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

I absolutely agree - I have no idea why it would make such a difference but it's the only thing I've changed.

I might try changing it back, see if that makes the battery life drop.

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
OK, I currently have the HTCHub live, the Me tile live, and everything else set to manual. I have the Mugen extended battery for my mozart and battery saver on at 20%. After light use - some browsing, texting, tweeting, facebook, emailing, a few short calls - it finally gave up at 2 days 11 hours!

suffice to say, I may not have every live tile I can running, but for 50+ hours battery life I'm not fussed!

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
OK, I currently have the HTCHub live, the Me tile live, and everything else set to manual. I have the Mugen extended battery for my mozart and battery saver on at 20%. After light use - some browsing, texting, tweeting, facebook, emailing, a few short calls - it finally gave up at 2 days 11 hours!

suffice to say, I may not have every live tile I can running, but for 50+ hours battery life I'm not fussed!

I also noticed that once I got rid of The Onion live tile my battery greatly improved.

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
I'd definitely try turning on/off some of your live tiles. Not sure why, but some obviously use more power than others.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb