question regarding live tiles

Jalik

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi there,

I'm an android user right now and therefore not at all familiar with WP7. Considering it as my OS of choise for the next year. I try to find out whether I would like WP7 without actually having the option to test it myself :)
Recently, there was an article about an live tile that would let you check your 3G status and updates every 30 minutes and how that is a cool thing. I don't consider 30min intervals as 'live' actually. I would want to 3G as of now, not in a 30 min time frame. Are all live tiles like that? If yes... why?

thnx! :)

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Hi Kilaj, no, all tiles can be updated as often as need be. For example the WPCentral app live tile is updated everytime a new article is posted.

You can turn this on or off of course, but the live tile will show how many new unread articles there are, and on Mango it flips round to inform you the details and time of the latest article.

The weather apps have graphics on them and change regularly too.

All live tiles vary in their operation depending on the app, and the user settings. :)

Last edited:

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
For the OP. Live tiles can be updated in any interval the developer sets. For example, ProSports updates game stats every minute, and news apps will update at varying intervals, while weather apps may update every 30/60 minutes. What you saw was a reference to a Microsoft app to toggle 3G on/off. When you toggle it, the change will be immediate, but the app will poll every 30 minutes to make sure 3G is still on or off. Actually that statement has confused a lot of people.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

Jalik

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Thx for the clarification. I was a bit shocked about the 30 min thing ;)

Now it's Nokias turn to impress me. Get the phone released, already! :)

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Thx for the clarification. I was a bit shocked about the 30 min thing ;)

Now it's Nokias turn to impress me. Get the phone released, already! :)
I think the whole planet and their dogs are waiting for the Nokias Kilaj. (Especially Isaac & Spike) ;)

Although some creatures are still waiting for more Samsung Focus S details. (Big Sigh) :)

Jalik

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
since we're talking about phones now: if I, for some reason, don't like the new nokia(s) or the focus s and also don't want to jump the iOS train, do you think it's clever to get a venue pro instead? will it be supported by dell? they don't seem to be eager to stay in smartphone business after all...

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire