Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sHAYM4N

Been playing a little around with sorting my tiles out today - I had quite a lot! and one feature I thought would be a nice addition to WP7 or 8? would be something like a Set/Style/Profile you could apply to your phone?

It's something HTC have implemented on Sense, and tbh its one of the only things I miss about my old Android, and think it would solve the problem of a huge Tile List.

I've seen requests on the Uservoice page for Folders or for more screens of tiles, but to me that feels like you are just adding to the chaos - creating a file system. (God knows MS have loved using folders in the past too much so! and its been nice to see them move away from this).

How it works in Sense for those who haven't used is you Create a theme as such labelled "Work/Travel/Social/General" etc to this you can apply a layout for your widgets icons etc. the wallpaper and I felt it was a really nice touch to switch between different aspects of your everyday life. ( i.e. I don't mind having work email on my phone when Im in the office - but when Im at home or somewhere else wah!! Get it off there!!!)

With WP you could use it to possibly apply a wallpaper - choose your tiles, your accent colour. To make it even more unique - how about linking it to your calendar? Have a day at work? Automatically switches to your work set at that point of your agenda. Get that sigh of relief as your bland "Worksafe" wallpaper switches to your "hottie of the week" come hometime! :D

Going on Holiday - on your calendar? Your set switches to Travel etc..

Think they'd get more people using their calendars if they implemented features like this, they could even make it a specific feature of hotmail - to boost users.

As for implementing it into the OS - well a button switch in the dead space to the right? or an app that could be pinned? put it in settings? You could even force a particular set by dragging up that option from the Lock Screen - I'm sure it could be easily implemented without muddying our beloved Metro, and of course should be optional.

I do a bit of design work, so if I have the time and it doesn't get shot straight down - I may do some concepts to see how it could work.

I've dropped the idea onto Uservoice anyway - so if anyone wants to give it their vote or give a comment, its over here... Tile "Sets"
    power5 likes this.

Global Posts
    1,588 Global Posts
    I think it could be good for windows to implement something like that. I could see a time implementation as well. I work 8-5 every weekday. So if my phone automatically switched from work to play at 5 I would think that's really cool.

I like your thought process. would love to see you whip up a couple designs or proof of concept. The thing i like most about your suggestion is the automatic switching based on your calendar settings and entries. It would give me a reason to use my calendar more! Voted!
    Sent from Something Somwhere
  4. lumic
    Wow, I just checked out the forum and it's pretty insane. If Microsoft incorporates even the top 50 ideas, I think Windows Phone would be actual perfection for many.

Global Posts
    3,470 Global Posts
    Cool idea. I think I've seen something similar being implemented on a different platform, android maybe. It has a setting for Home and Work, and when you switch between the two, the lay out, theme, and icons change.
    Goodbye Dooley! You will NOT be missed!:@
    Bring back the WeeeeeBeeeeaaarrrr

Nokia had work/play homescreens on my old E63. I don't remember if they switched automatically, but I think they did based on time of day. I know Nokia switched email receipt profiles (sounds/vibrate/etc.) based on times and days you set up, it was a sweet system.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    9,377 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Baka View Post
    Nokia had work/play homescreens on my old E63. I don't remember if they switched automatically, but I think they did based on time of day. I know Nokia switched email receipt profiles (sounds/vibrate/etc.) based on times and days you set up, it was a sweet system.
    They also had a similar program from Symbian3 based on the time of day.
    Check out the great deals on Windows Phone Accessories: http://store.wpcentral.com