HTC Arrive will not connect to wifi

Starlifter

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
Hello all,

I've had an HTC arrive for about a month. Up until yesterday, I had no issues connecting to my home wifi router. Now I keep getting an "incorrect password" error every time I try to connect.

I have had issues with my old router in the past, so I went out and bought a cisco E4200 router. However, same problem exists, even with this new router. Multiple laptops and a tablet all connect with no problems. The router is broadcasting its SSID, so it's not hidden. And, yes, I'm entering the correct password.

The router is an N band using "mixed" mode on both 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz, with WPA2/WPA Mixed security.

As a test, the phone connected today to an open network out in a restaurant with no problem.

I wasn't able too find much help online when I searched for this problem. Any help is greatly appreciated before I chuck the phone out the window...

Thanks

Mike-Mike

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
i have noticed sometimes my Arrive will not take passwords correctly with the physical keyboard, but will work with the virtual one.. this was the case for both my wifi and Netflix.. and I tried multiple multiple times

Vector555

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm curious, again my mother has the same problem with her LG Qauntum. It will not connect to my secured wifi router nine times out of ten. It is always telling her that the password is incorrect. My samsung focus on the other hand connects every time with ease. So do all my other wireless devices, Laptops, dvd nlayers, Xbox, Wii, Nintendo DS...etc never have a problem. Short of makeing my network completely open i have had little success at getting her phone to connect.

i've been thinking about this for some time. my moms phone to my knowledge has no problem connecting to her home wifi network. Could you try deleting all networks from your HTC Arrive. Rebooting your phone, then try connecting?

Starlifter

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the ideas. I have already done a battery removal restart and even tried a factory reboot, no luck. Whoever responded to my email at HTC suggested changing the password on the network and seeing if it would log in with the new one and then changing it back. I guess I can try that. I definitely will not be changing my network to open, though.

Is there a particular way to delete wifi networks from the phone? I've not been able to figure that out, I've only tried toggling wifi on and off and the reboots. Thanks for the help

Vector555

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
To delete the wifi networks from your phone go to; setings, wifi, advanced. Then tap and hold each individual network. An option will apear to delete, or from that same window you can click the select icon, check each box that appears, then click the trashcan.

Last edited:

TaliZorah

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Never had a problem with my arrive + cisco router and my network IS hidden.

Hmmm. Maybe a system reset would help. I know thats a pain in the butt to re-set up your phone but that has cleared up a few issuse for me. (Like terrible battery life after mango)

Vector555

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
@TaliZora, it sounds like he has already done a system restore to no avail. In my mothers case, its as if her phone has registered a previous password with whatever network and only uses that password. It doesn't matter what you type, correct or incorrect, the password always comes back incorrect. I have been unable to resolve this to date.

@ Starlifter27 - What kind of router are you using?

TaliZorah

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
@TaliZora, it sounds like he has already done a system restore to no avail. In my mothers case, its as if her phone has registered a previous password with whatever network and only uses that password. It doesn't matter what you type, correct or incorrect, the password always comes back incorrect. I have been unable to resolve this to date.

@ Starlifter27 - What kind of router are you using?

My bad I missed that part.

How is your router set up? Some WPA's will change their key at certain times but you can have a passphrase so you don't need the key.

That's how mine is set up. WPA-2. AES.

Try using different types of keys. WEP is the least secure but it's probably the easiest to set up and get working correctly.

Starlifter

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
Appreciate the suggestions.

Vector, on my phone under settings-wifi, there is no "advanced" selection or a way to delete individual networks by selecting each one. Not sure if that's a mango thing, but so far the mango update hasn't been pushed to my phone yet. I do wish there was a way to basically reset the wireless adapter, much like the old "IP release/renew" command. I wonder if that would help...

I did already do a factory reset to no avail. I tried changing the SSID and password to something totally different, but I still got the "incorrect password" message, and same thing when I renamed the network back to its old name and password. Incidentally, both a windows and mac laptop in addition to an HP Touchpad all reconnected just fine when I changed the SSID and password back to the old settings.

The router is a cisco E4200 I just bought since I had been having issues with my old router previously. The firmware updated today after I installed it. It's running on WPA2/WPA Mixed Mode on both 5Ghz and 2.4 Ghz channels.

The really strange thing is that up until a day or two ago, the phone connected just fine. It even did the wireless sync deal when I charged it while connected to my home wifi network.

I'm seriously leaning towards taking it back to the sprint store tomorrow and getting a new one to see if it's just my phone. Definitely head scratching here...

Vector555

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
@Starlifter - since there is no advanced option under wifi settings, just tap and hold yoru wifi network to bring up the option to delete or edit.

Starlifter

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
Vector- I tried to tap and hold, even for 15+ seconds, no luck. Can't get it to delete my network or any of the neighboring ones it picks up. The only time I recall being able to select one or see options was when it had established a connection to a particular network. Beats me...

TaliZorah

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Vector- I tried to tap and hold, even for 15+ seconds, no luck. Can't get it to delete my network or any of the neighboring ones it picks up. The only time I recall being able to select one or see options was when it had established a connection to a particular network. Beats me...

Have you tried logging into your router and using a different key type? AKA changing from WEP to WPA / WPA-2? AES?

I am not talking about just changing the password to the router. I am suggesting using a completely different key type for your wireless.

Starlifter

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
Well, it makes no sense to me, but when I went to bed last night I attempted to connect one last time and all the sudden it did. I made no changes to the phone, the router, network settings, nothing. And it's still connecting successfully today.

So it connected fine for a month, then suddenly wouldn't for a couple days, and now it does again. Go figure.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions, hopefully it works fine from here on out. If not, I'm sure I'll be back!

davenpj

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
Reload mango on it sometimes after a period of time phones come up with cruppeted file sometimes I can run a rom. On desire and it crashes.

sent from my desire powered by devil null

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I've had this happen once. Reset your router. Pull the plug on your modem and router. Plug in your modem. Let it initialize. Then plug in your router. If it doesn't instantly connect, restart your phone. You should be ok then.

Forgewizard

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
My first bug with my Arrive - and its doing the same thing - not connecting to the home network as of last night. Only thing I've done recently was tell IE to delete history which says it delets all passwords, cookies, visited sites etc - I'm pretty sure this should just pertain to IE - not passwords used elsewhere - right?

I'm going to try to re- initialize my network as suggested. - There had been a power outage at the house (happens daily) and I'd already restarted the nework. My Palm Pre connected with no trouble, same as my netbook and PC and the upstairs neighbors who use my wireless - haven't said anything about not connecting. Hmmm :dry perplexing just the WP7 arrive. Oh yeah, the other thing I did last night was connect to the PC via zune and look for any updates - already have Mango, was wondering if the more recent update was available. The phone synced fine. Wonder what changed? :straight:

Well just went round and round with the settings pages in Linksys, but finally got it set up just the way it used to be.... and voila! The Arrive is reconnecting! GEESH! Hope it doesn't do this again!

Last edited:

bitslave

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
My first bug with my Arrive - and its doing the same thing - not connecting to the home network as of last night. Only thing I've done recently was tell IE to delete history which says it delets all passwords, cookies, visited sites etc - I'm pretty sure this should just pertain to IE - not passwords used elsewhere - right?

I'm going to try to re- initialize my network as suggested. - There had been a power outage at the house (happens daily) and I'd already restarted the nework. My Palm Pre connected with no trouble, same as my netbook and PC and the upstairs neighbors who use my wireless - haven't said anything about not connecting. Hmmm :dry perplexing just the WP7 arrive. Oh yeah, the other thing I did last night was connect to the PC via zune and look for any updates - already have Mango, was wondering if the more recent update was available. The phone synced fine. Wonder what changed? :straight:

Well just went round and round with the settings pages in Linksys, but finally got it set up just the way it used to be.... and voila! The Arrive is reconnecting! GEESH! Hope it doesn't do this again!
Have you recently updated the firmware with the two HTC firmware updates?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss