Redefining the PC

Why Microsoft's Surface phone could be MUCH more than a mere 'phone'

Surface Pwn 5

Surface Pro 5, Project NEON details leaked on LinkedIn?

XP-YESSSSSSS

Dell's already awesome XPS 15 gets even better in 2017

Surface table meets Windows 10

Yes, we did put Windows 10 on the original Surface table ... and it rocks

Cream o' the crop

Before buying a Microsoft laptop, check out our pick for the absolute best

Simple and secure, just the way I like it

We think Windows 10 Cloud is a great idea, here's why

uber micro

Halo Wars 2 has something for everyone. Here's our full review.

Oldie but goldie

We reviewed Microsoft's decade-old Surface table

Creators Update comin' at ya

These are the coolest new features in the next big Xbox One update (video)

Buyer's guide

The Razer Blade 14 is the best laptop Razer has to offer

Windows 10 app gems

10 terrific Windows 10 apps you should be using

Tower of power

Here's what we think of Dell's XPS Tower Special Edition

Quite a deal

Grab the complete C# coding bootcamp for $41!

Your go-to laptop guide

Introducing our ultimate laptop buyer's guide

Listen here

Attn Android and iPhone users: What you need to know about Windows phone

Old is new?

The original Surface Pro still holds its own in the 2-in-1 world

Xbox Greenlight?

No, internet, Microsoft isn't opening Xbox to all UWP games

Falling in love

HP Envy 34 review: An ultrawide curved all-in-one after my heart

2015 machine in 2017?

Surface 3 still holds its own in 2017

Let Kodi cut your cord

You should be using Kodi for Windows 10

< >
Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 40
Like Tree8Likes
  1. Jazmac's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    4,978 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,984 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #1  
    Let me start by saying, I dig my HTC Arrive. I'd like the Samsung Focus but my carrier is Sprint. Anyway, I dig my WP7 and I wondered for a long time what is missing along with the meager advertizing so far? Its the fact that I don't know who else is having fun with it. Apple just launched the Iphone 4s. Its largely successful not so much because its iphone, its because we get to constantly see people having fun with it. Siri isn't new but because of its integration into the iphone 4s, we are hearing people have fun using it...and its still BETA. Same with android but I won't bother going into the peaks and valleys with them, you already know by walking into any cell store.

    I gotta tell you, I want to feel like I'm apart of something bigger too. I want to feel like others are having fun with Windows Phone Mango. The best way to know that is the big screen. I have to also tell you, I don't like this feeling of isolation. I don't and I'm troubled that I feel like that. My phone works and works well. But like any consumerist, I want to see what others are doing. It has to happen with this phone for me and it has to happen in the near future.
  2. 1jaxstate1's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3,243 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,479 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #2  
    Well, you're among friends here....mostly. :)
  3. selfcreation's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    3,288 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,304 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #3  
    im not having much fun right now to be honest.. ( i honestly got a wp7 90% for Gaming , witch sort has been a disappointment for me so far )

    but i will be having ALLOT of fun when FUSION: SENTINA/genesis come out , and WOWO WORLD. :)
  4. theefman's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3,894 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,895 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #4  
    Definitely. Doing more IM'ing, watching online videos, getting texts read via BT, tweeting from the phone, watching my picture hub slideshow. Persuaded my buddy to buy a DVP and one of his recent texts was that he was having so much fun with the phone. And of course just scrolling my start screen looking at all those lovely pinned Last FM tiles of Vanessa Williams, Tamia and Toni Braxton!
    Jazmac likes this.
  5. jfa1's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,565 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,648 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #5  
    I am enjoying my focus more with mango its zippier and while I dont play games on it it keeps me more in touch with the people hub and weather channel tile works better. I can read the bible with acrobible and take notes in the program!
  6. Jazmac's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    4,978 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,984 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Se1fcr3ation View Post
    im not having much fun right now to be honest.. ( i honestly got a wp7 90% for Gaming , witch sort has been a disappointment for me so far )

    but i will be having ALLOT of fun when FUSION: SENTINA/genesis come out , and WOWO WORLD. :)
    Don't know what any of those things are but that isn't what I'm getting at.
  7. selfcreation's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    3,288 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,304 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #7  
    does are gona be the first 2 TRUE crostplatform games on XBL between Xbox - PC and WP7

    witch is MS`s selling point for WP7. just like SIRI is for Iphone at this point.

    and thats when MY fun is gona start :)

    Welcome To Fusion: Genesis | Starfire Studios

    “Wowo World” Microsoft Silverlight MMORPG Shown In Real-time On Windows Phone 7 | WP7 Connect
  8. palandri's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    7,589 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,915 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #8  
    It's only a phone. It's not a life line to happiness.
  9. selfcreation's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    3,288 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,304 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    It's only a phone. It's not a life line to happiness.

    it is for me!!! lmao . specially the gaming part!! GAMING IS FUN!! lol makes me happy when i SHOOT zombies in the FACE!!
  10. palandri's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    7,589 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,915 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Se1fcr3ation View Post
    it is for me!!! lmao . specially the gaming part!! GAMING IS FUN!! lol makes me happy when i SHOOT zombies in the FACE!!
    Opps, Sorry I forgot to put you into the equation mon ami:

    Happiness = f(X1, X2, X3, Zombies + Se1fcr3ation)

    :lol:
  11. Mike-Mike's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    184 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,309 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #11  
    I really like my HTC Arrive and WP7, it's really taken a hold of me
  12. ryude's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    194 Posts
    Global Posts
    195 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #12  
    Yea it's fun when it does what I want, when it doesn't I make a sad face and admire iphone's or android.

    Example: "Let's use some voice navigation!" Awwww....
  13. 1jaxstate1's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3,243 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,479 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #13  
    "Lets see who's all playing Black Ops or BF2 right now" WIN!
    Quote Originally Posted by ryude View Post
    Yea it's fun when it does what I want, when it doesn't I make a sad face and admire iphone's or android.

    Example: "Let's use some voice navigation!" Awwww....
  14. Pronk's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    745 Posts
    Global Posts
    812 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Techblogger View Post
    I gotta tell you, I want to feel like I'm apart of something bigger too.
    You are. It's called the human race. Use your phone and give someone you haven't spoken to in a while a call. It'll make them happy and make you happy. And it'll make you feel more connected, be more fun, and be more worthwhile than owning any phone on any platform and knowing X amount of other people own the same phone/the same platform ever will.

    At the end of the day phones are just things. Who cares what the format is and how many others have one as long as you're happy with it? Use them to have a life - don't make them your life.
  15. ryude's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    194 Posts
    Global Posts
    195 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by 1jaxstate1 View Post
    "Lets see who's all playing Black Ops or BF2 right now" WIN!
    I meant features that are useful :)
  16. 1jaxstate1's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3,243 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,479 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #16  
    Welp, just get an iPhone. "Suri, how much is an iPhone"
    Quote Originally Posted by ryude View Post
    I meant features that are useful :)
    Upgrade or eBay. Not really that hard.
  17. cckgz4's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,965 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,836 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #17  
    Im having fun to have a smooth experience 95% of the time and to have seamless access with my contacts without a lot of app switching
  18. starblade876's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    307 Posts
    Global Posts
    308 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #18  
    Someone in my little town apparently had a little fun; I just check the ...i'm a WP7 app (5 people showed) and one person's status says "Been done got f-cked retarded ><"

    Also, I came across an HD7s user yesterday.
  19. Jazmac's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    4,978 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,984 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    It's only a phone. It's not a life line to happiness.
    See that's where you're wrong. A land line is just a phone. "Dumb" phones are just a phone. When you connect people via social media with this handset it is no longer "just a phone" This is an ecosystem. Look it up. Now it has meaning and my friends make me happy and my phone is that link or using your word, lifeline to that. If yours doesn't, that's a personal problem.

    My point is this. Much of how ecosystems work is a perpetual connection to something bigger and others that share in that experience with you. Too often I feel alone in the world on my Windows Phone. Not all the time but I do have moments. With the exception of those of you who are regulars here and on Facebook, where are the rest? What are we doing? In short, where is the Batman signal?? That is the way major platforms communicate to the world, what, where and how we do what we do. Rim did it, WebOS did it, Apple did it and Google did it. We got youtube. Where are the big splashy ads on billboards, TV and in the movies? Why don't we seem to matter more than we do?

    I'm doing what I can to advocate for this platform but I guess I'm getting restless. I'm at a point today that I'm even considering abandoning the platform. I won't do that today but at this rate, who knows.
  20. based_graham's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    626 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #20  
    Its an uphill battle with MS right now but their fighting back. Just think about it this way ppl will think your phone is dope and unique it will make you stand out.
  21. Jazmac's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    4,978 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,984 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by based_graham View Post
    Its an uphill battle with MS right now but their fighting back. Just think about it this way ppl will think your phone is dope and unique it will make you stand out.
    I'm not so much worried about the hill as I am about fresh ammo. :)
  22. scottcraft's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    2,401 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,535 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #22  
    I don't know that I'm having fun with my phone but I'm using my phone to have fun. I enjoy using my phone and discovering new stuff about it.
  23. Pronk's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    745 Posts
    Global Posts
    812 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by Techblogger View Post
    See that's where you're wrong. A land line is just a phone. "Dumb" phones are just a phone. When you connect people via social media with this handset it is no longer "just a phone" This is an ecosystem. Look it up. Now it has meaning and my friends make me happy and my phone is that link or using your word, lifeline to that. If yours doesn't, that's a personal problem.

    My point is this. Much of how ecosystems work is a perpetual connection to something bigger and others that share in that experience with you. Too often I feel alone in the world on my Windows Phone. Not all the time but I do have moments. With the exception of those of you who are regulars here and on Facebook, where are the rest? What are we doing? In short, where is the Batman signal?? That is the way major platforms communicate to the world, what, where and how we do what we do. Rim did it, WebOS did it, Apple did it and Google did it. We got youtube. Where are the big splashy ads on billboards, TV and in the movies? Why don't we seem to matter more than we do?

    I'm doing what I can to advocate for this platform but I guess I'm getting restless. I'm at a point today that I'm even considering abandoning the platform. I won't do that today but at this rate, who knows.
    Point 1: The device is always secondary to whatever you do with it. Having a smartphone doesn't make an ecosystem of friends and social contacts, nor is it an ecosystem in itself. It just lets you get in touch with your own ecosystem on the go. The fact that it allows you to do so via more than one method, unlike a landline, is neither here nor there. If you have no friends or contacts, no phone on any format will change that in itself.

    Point 2: Regardless, without meaning to be overly rude, you don't want an ecosystem or any of the other stuff you claim to want anyway. What you want is more or less to show off. Because all the other stuff you mention - social networks, contacting people, sharing experiences - you could do all that on a Palm Pixi. Indeed, people do - my wife has a Palm Pixi and uses Facebook, email, Twitter, phone, SMS, MMS and so on to keep in touch with all her friends. And the fact that only a tiny percentage of people own Palm phones, let alone Pixis, is utterly irrelevant.

    Your issue seems to be not enough people have the same hardware/same platform as you so you can't talk to them about that, and can't talk to others who don't have it about it in any meaningful terms because they don't have enough awareness of what it is they don't have/don't particularly care. Consequently you're never going to be satisified with WP7 until WP7 has a much, much higher marketplace penetration and (with the biggest level of optimism in the world) that is still a good few years off. So cut your losses and switch now, because what you want is nothing to do with OS or WP7 and everything to do with being in a bigger pond.
  24. Jazmac's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    4,978 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,984 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by Pronk View Post
    Point 1: The device is always secondary to whatever you do with it. Having a smartphone doesn't make an ecosystem of friends and social contacts, nor is it an ecosystem in itself. It just lets you get in touch with your own ecosystem on the go. The fact that it allows you to do so via more than one method, unlike a landline, is neither here nor there. If you have no friends or contacts, no phone on any format will change that in itself.
    The device is secondary to what YOU do with it. It is part of the Microsoft ecosystem and I would strongly suggest YOU look it up and acquaint yourself with what it means. To me you sound like a person that exists in an isolated world, and that in itself isn't a bad thing but for those of us who are more involved with groups, family, business associates etc, the ecosystem becomes more alive and relevant than whatever you're talking about. Beyond that, you mistakenly or foolishly assume I live in the world you do. I don't. So speak to the point and don't confuse my post with some weakness in my character. You don't know me like that. Trust me, you don't want to go there.

    Point 2: Regardless, without meaning to be overly rude, you don't want an ecosystem or any of the other stuff you claim to want anyway. What you want is more or less to show off. Because all the other stuff you mention - social networks, contacting people, sharing experiences - you could do all that on a Palm Pixi. Indeed, people do - my wife has a Palm Pixi and uses Facebook, email, Twitter, phone, SMS, MMS and so on to keep in touch with all her friends. And the fact that only a tiny percentage of people own Palm phones, let alone Pixis, is utterly irrelevant.

    Your issue seems to be not enough people have the same hardware/same platform as you so you can't talk to them about that, and can't talk to others who don't have it about it in any meaningful terms because they don't have enough awareness of what it is they don't have/don't particularly care. Consequently you're never going to be satisified with WP7 until WP7 has a much, much higher marketplace penetration and (with the biggest level of optimism in the world) that is still a good few years off. So cut your losses and switch now, because what you want is nothing to do with OS or WP7 and everything to do with being in a bigger pond.
    You talk like having some recognition and familiarity is a bad thing. All I am talking about buddy, is a need for Microsoft to advertize. Nothing more. Nothing less. No one disagrees with me on that and here you go, speaking as if you are lord of the manor. You pushed into some low grade, 10 grade psychoanalysis of what my intentions are for posting this. You sound mad stupid and its flatly insulting you Pronk.
  25. Pronk's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    745 Posts
    Global Posts
    812 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by Techblogger View Post
    You talk like having some recognition and familiarity is a bad thing. All I am talking about buddy, is a need for Microsoft to advertize. Nothing more. Nothing less. No one disagrees with me on that and here you go, speaking as if you are lord of the manor. You pushed into some low grade, 10 grade psychoanalysis of what my intentions are for posting this. You sound mad stupid and its flatly insulting you Pronk.
    Right. So what you actually wanted to say was "why don't microsoft advertise more?". So why all the stuff about saying you'll leave the platform because you don't hear enough about what other people are doing with it? If you post a load of extraneous stuff around what you actually mean, don't be surprised when people read it and wonder what you're on about!

    Bottom line though hasn't changed: either you like WP7, or you don't. Leaving something you like because you don't think enough other people appreciate it is just shooting yourself in the foot for the sake of it. After all, you said:

    "Too often I feel alone in the world on my Windows Phone. Not all the time but I do have moments. With the exception of those of you who are regulars here and on Facebook, where are the rest? What are we doing?"

    And:

    "I'm doing what I can to advocate for this platform but I guess I'm getting restless. I'm at a point today that I'm even considering abandoning the platform."

    What's that, if not seeming like the big issue for you is actually just being in a big club? If you like WP7, and you have lots of friends and contacts you get hold of on your phone, what does it matter how many other people use it or whether it appears on TV and billboards or not? You could be the ONLY person using WP7, but as long as it lets you do what you want to do, it's job is done. Yes, it's a shame MS don't advertise more and the platform doesn't have bigger exposure, but unless there's some issue with e.g. apps you need not being developed because it's a smaller marketplace, simply not being in the biggest group and not seeing your phone in product placement every day is a pretty strange reason for thinking of jumping ship!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions