Redefining the PC

Why Microsoft's Surface phone could be MUCH more than a mere 'phone'

Surface Pwn 5

Surface Pro 5, Project NEON details leaked on LinkedIn?

XP-YESSSSSSS

Dell's already awesome XPS 15 gets even better in 2017

Surface table meets Windows 10

Yes, we did put Windows 10 on the original Surface table ... and it rocks

Cream o' the crop

Before buying a Microsoft laptop, check out our pick for the absolute best

Simple and secure, just the way I like it

We think Windows 10 Cloud is a great idea, here's why

uber micro

Halo Wars 2 has something for everyone. Here's our full review.

Oldie but goldie

We reviewed Microsoft's decade-old Surface table

Creators Update comin' at ya

These are the coolest new features in the next big Xbox One update (video)

Buyer's guide

The Razer Blade 14 is the best laptop Razer has to offer

Windows 10 app gems

10 terrific Windows 10 apps you should be using

Tower of power

Here's what we think of Dell's XPS Tower Special Edition

Quite a deal

Grab the complete C# coding bootcamp for $41!

Your go-to laptop guide

Introducing our ultimate laptop buyer's guide

Listen here

Attn Android and iPhone users: What you need to know about Windows phone

Old is new?

The original Surface Pro still holds its own in the 2-in-1 world

Xbox Greenlight?

No, internet, Microsoft isn't opening Xbox to all UWP games

Falling in love

HP Envy 34 review: An ultrawide curved all-in-one after my heart

2015 machine in 2017?

Surface 3 still holds its own in 2017

Let Kodi cut your cord

You should be using Kodi for Windows 10

< >
Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 32
Like Tree1Likes
  1. jrdatrackstar1223's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    848 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,251 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #1  
    I hate Sprint because their networks don't work inside building like Walmart, Meijer, Walgreens, etc (and the free roaming is worthless because the speeds still sucks and kill my battery). The extra 10 bucks a month to use AT&T makes more sense to me since I'll be able to actually USE my phone (plus 3G and talk is sweet) and ill have to learn to monitor my usage.

    I want to move to AT&T, but hate their pricing and don't want to sign a new two-year agreement. I was going to give my wife my Sprint Arrive phone (even though my ETF isn't that high...around 130 or so...) and get a Focus from Craigslist.

    However, where would I go from there? Just call and get it activated without signing a two year contract? Do you have to sign a contract to use their network with a used phone bought outside of contract?
  2. power5's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,222 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,610 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #2  
    Do not need a contract. Just get a used phone and go to an ATT store.
  3. foosball's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    423 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #3  
    Hmmm, wonder if you could get a pay as you go plan from one of the plans which piggy-backs on Att. Probably cheaper than paying those Att bastards outright.

    Sent from my HTC Arrive using Board Express
  4. jrdatrackstar1223's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    848 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,251 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by WPDiddy View Post
    Hmmm, wonder if you could get a pay as you go plan from one of the plans which piggy-backs on Att. Probably cheaper than paying those Att bastards outright.

    Sent from my HTC Arrive using Board Express
    I see you have an Arrive..do you find you have problems using things like Bing Vision or shopsavvy in stores with thick walls? I have had this problem on all my Android devices and now my Arrive, and I know it's because Sprint is in the higher mghz ranges, where's AT&T and T-Mobile are on the lower spectrums.
  5. Rodolfo#WP's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    396 Posts
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #5  
    I didn't have the problems you report with Sprint, but I was wed to a very low-cost plan. I was persuaded to switch when some friends invited me to join their group or family plan. I still had to sign on for 2 years to get the free Focus phone I wanted, but my rate was comparable to what I had with Sprint. This may be an option for you. Good luck!
  6. jrdatrackstar1223's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    848 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,251 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by power5 View Post
    Do not need a contract. Just get a used phone and go to an ATT store.
    So how much would that run me monthly? Just the regular rates as contract customers? That would be awesome, as their plans aren't THAT MUCH more expensive....plus the whole unlocking of phone things brings new possibilities for me to have different toys and networks to play on...

    As they say...you get what you pay for, and although Sprint is cheaper (and its only because they've basically put bandages all over my account with discounts for staying with them..) AT&T will give me more use of my phone to truly feel the power of Windows Phone wherever I am, and not only in city areas outside (doesn't even work in my apartment)

    My current Sprint bill is at $75 bucks, and I have an 8% discount with my company and AT&T. Like I said, having the power to scan products and stuff in stores is useless because I can't actually actually use them in the stores when I want a review or something.

    Also, can this be applied to T-Mobile (as in, can I get a used phone from Craigslist and then use it on T-Mobile without signing a contract?)
  7. jrdatrackstar1223's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    848 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,251 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodolfo View Post
    I didn't have the problems you report with Sprint, but I was wed to a very low-cost plan. I was persuaded to switch when some friends invited me to join their group or family plan. I still had to sign on for 2 years to get the free Focus phone I wanted, but my rate was comparable to what I had with Sprint. This may be an option for you. Good luck!
    I don't need a free phone because I'd rather pay the 150 for a Focus (the ads in my area) than sign up for a contract on AT&T. I love their network, but their contract terms. Thanks for the tip though
  8. foosball's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    423 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by jrdatrackstar View Post
    I see you have an Arrive..do you find you have problems using things like Bing Vision or shopsavvy in stores with thick walls? I have had this problem on all my Android devices and now my Arrive, and I know it's because Sprint is in the higher mghz ranges, where's AT&T and T-Mobile are on the lower spectrums.
    My experience has been that after you get into a big box store your coverage does significantly weaken....however I always thought that GSM was significantly less capable than CDMA in this regard. Check out what Google has to say on the issue.

    That being said eventually we will all be on 4G and that has been atrocious indoors on Sprint. Does anyone know if it is any better on the other carrier's 4G networks as far as 4G indoor reception?

    Sent from my HTC Arrive using Board Express
  9. jrdatrackstar1223's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    848 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,251 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by WPDiddy View Post
    My experience has been that after you get into a big box store your coverage does significantly weaken....however I always thought that GSM was significantly less capable than CDMA in this regard. Check out what Google has to say on the issue.

    That being said eventually we will all be on 4G and that has been atrocious indoors on Sprint. Does anyone know if it is any better on the other carrier's 4G networks as far as 4G indoor reception?

    Sent from my HTC Arrive using Board Express
    I will indeed Google that because from what I've seen (and experienced through my work iPhone 4) the AT&T 3G worked more consistently indoors...both in box store buildings and my apartment. It could also just be their coverage map, but right when I step outside with my phone the 3G is fine again...
  10. Rhody#WP's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    526 Posts
    Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #10  
    I never had reception problems with Sprint except for Winstar Casino in Oklahoma and a particular bar I used to go to regularly. I don't go to that bar anymore, and I only go to Winstar for concerts, so I find Sprint to be adequate. I have seen AT&T folks complain about reception and dropping calls when my signal is fine.

    I think it is more about coverage map. For example, I have heard horror stories about AT&T in big cities like New York and Chicago because of the tall buildings blocking reception, whereas it's fine in Dallas because the city is more spread out. I recommend uisng the carrier that's best for you in your area.
  11. jrdatrackstar1223's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    848 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,251 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhody View Post
    I never had reception problems with Sprint except for Winstar Casino in Oklahoma and a particular bar I used to go to regularly. I don't go to that bar anymore, and I only go to Winstar for concerts, so I find Sprint to be adequate. I have seen AT&T folks complain about reception and dropping calls when my signal is fine.

    I think it is more about coverage map. For example, I have heard horror stories about AT&T in big cities like New York and Chicago because of the tall buildings blocking reception, whereas it's fine in Dallas because the city is more spread out. I recommend uisng the carrier that's best for you in your area.
    In my experience, Sprint is horrible in nearly any store I go to here in Indiana, both in my old hometown, Marion, and Avon (where I live now) In a Walmart, Meijer, Walgreens....anywhere I have a chance to use apps like Shopsavvy or Bing Vision, it is always hung and up the results either:

    1. Never come
    2. Come up so slow that its pointless

    When browsing the web with my work phone (iPhone 4) at the exact same time of using my Arrive, the internet is fast and on demand for when I need it...
  12. MachoDonut's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    7 Posts
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by jrdatrackstar View Post
    So how much would that run me monthly? Just the regular rates as contract customers? That would be awesome, as their plans aren't THAT MUCH more expensive....plus the whole unlocking of phone things brings new possibilities for me to have different toys and networks to play on...

    As they say...you get what you pay for, and although Sprint is cheaper (and its only because they've basically put bandages all over my account with discounts for staying with them..) AT&T will give me more use of my phone to truly feel the power of Windows Phone wherever I am, and not only in city areas outside (doesn't even work in my apartment)

    My current Sprint bill is at $75 bucks, and I have an 8% discount with my company and AT&T. Like I said, having the power to scan products and stuff in stores is useless because I can't actually actually use them in the stores when I want a review or something.

    Also, can this be applied to T-Mobile (as in, can I get a used phone from Craigslist and then use it on T-Mobile without signing a contract?)
    It will run you the same amount as if you were on a contract, just without the contract. The same applies to T-Mobile.
  13. red grenadine's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    558 Posts
    Global Posts
    561 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #13  
    I'd check out the new T-Mobile month to month 4G plan for $30 per month if I were you

    Walmart and T-Mobile to Sell No-Contract $30 Mobile Phone Plans With "Unlimited" 4G Data | PCWorld
  14. jrdatrackstar1223's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    848 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,251 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #14  
    100 minutes would definitely be too little for me.

    So I'm lost.....say I'm using AT&T with the used phone I purchase, and find that maybe the signal isn't as great as I thought. What then? Do I just go in and say "Meh...your network sucks so I'm done" and that's all there is to it.....no ETF? If so, that's awesome! I would have done this a LONG time ago if I had known about it....
  15. jfa1's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,565 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,648 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #15  
    The ETF is for the recovery of the subsidied part of the price of the phone you bought your own phone there should be not ETF I am pretty sure.
  16. jrdatrackstar1223's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    848 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,251 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #16  
    Man i'm going to find a focus tomorrow and get this started asap....

    Had I known about this I would have never extended my contract on Sprint until 2012...man..

    And the fact that I can use phones between AT&T and T-Mobile is boss....definitely going to go for this..
  17. aubreyq's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,245 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,267 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #17  
    I know you hate contracts (so do I) but with Nokia WP7 phones just around the corner, I personally would like to see what they have to offer. I have the Focus and it's a great phone, but man, Nokia...
  18. jrdatrackstar1223's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    848 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,251 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #18  
    can the focus (or other AT&T GSM phones) be used on T-Mobile (in case AT&T isn't as great as I'm expecting it to be)? I found a guy who will sell his Focus for $150, so I plan on buying it today. It's going to be hard though, because I planned on trading in my Wii to try and get a 360 today too....expensive day indeed =(
  19. aubreyq's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,245 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,267 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by jrdatrackstar View Post
    ...It's going to be hard though, because I planned on trading in my Wii to try and get a 360 today too....expensive day indeed =(
    An expensive but very rewarding day :)
  20. jrdatrackstar1223's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    848 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,251 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by aubreyq View Post
    An expensive but very rewarding day :)
    Indeed lol. I may hold off on the 360 because to me, AT&T is more important because I can get what I'm actually paying for (3G internet use). Yea, it'll be capped, but at least I can USE IT; what good is unlimited if you CAN'T USE IT ANYWHERE? I'm going to call to see how much it would cost me monthly to do this, and if it's not TOO HIGH then I'm definitely doing it.
    Jazmac likes this.
  21. palandri's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    7,589 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,915 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by jrdatrackstar View Post
    can the focus (or other AT&T GSM phones) be used on T-Mobile (in case AT&T isn't as great as I'm expecting it to be)? I found a guy who will sell his Focus for $150, so I plan on buying it today. It's going to be hard though, because I planned on trading in my Wii to try and get a 360 today too....expensive day indeed =(
    It will work on T-Mobile, but you will only get 2G for data. The Focus is setup get 3G on AT&T in the U.S. and Europe.

    You need to check the UMTS frequency on the phone. My Nokia N8 has pentaband (5 bands) and will get 3G on AT&T, T-Mobile or in Europe.
  22. jrdatrackstar1223's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    848 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,251 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #22  
    so how will I be able to do this? this guy is ready to meet me to sell the phone in like 2 hours..?

    I'm kind of excited, as I will get to use AT&T for ACTUAL 3G and not have to sign a contract and can opt out of it when I want to =D

    Also, is the Focus oleophobic? I was under the impression it had the same Gorilla Glass as my Nexus S 4G (which handles fingerprints great)....?
  23. jrdatrackstar1223's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    848 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,251 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #23  
    so i just got the Focus and mine this thing is sweet. The screen is even better than my Nexus S (imo), but I'm still scared to start the AT&T thing. I was going to, but when they talked about Pro-rating and stuff...idk...I couldn't do it at the time.
  24. aubreyq's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,245 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,267 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by jrdatrackstar View Post
    so i just got the Focus and mine this thing is sweet. The screen is even better than my Nexus S (imo), but I'm still scared to start the AT&T thing. I was going to, but when they talked about Pro-rating and stuff...idk...I couldn't do it at the time.
    Congrats!
  25. jrdatrackstar1223's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    848 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,251 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by aubreyq View Post
    Congrats!
    Idk...they told me my work discount won't apply because I won't be signing a two year contract. I'm about to call Sprint to see how much my ETF is....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions