Phone dialer question

jdd77

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know if there's an option somewhere in menu/settings that allows you to change the default view of the dialer? When you touch the phone icon tile, why are you defaulted to "recent calls" instead of ...um the dial pad? Although this may be convenient for someone who misses alot of calls, it should be an option. In no way should you need to go through 2 steps before you can dial a number (unless you set it that way). sorry and thanks in advance if I'm missing something...

Coffee

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
No option that I know of. It seems the majority of people use contacts to dial, not the dialer, so it prob makes some kind of sense. An option would be nice.

I mostly talk to people who have called me recently, so I don't mind.

jdd77

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
No option that I know of. It seems the majority of people use contacts to dial, not the dialer, so it prob makes some kind of sense. An option would be nice.

I mostly talk to people who have called me recently, so I don't mind.

The thing is, if your in an emergency situation and need to quickly dial a number, the "recent calls" screen isn't gonna help you. Especially when you have to press a tiny circle with dots at the bottom of the screen to actually see the dial pad. Smartphones forget that they're still "phones".

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
the thing is, if your in an emergency situation and need to quickly dial a number, the "recent calls" screen isn't gonna help you. Especially when you have to press a tiny circle with dots at the bottom of the screen to actually see the dial pad. smartphones forget that they're still "phones".

+1 :)

Coffee

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
The thing is, if your in an emergency situation and need to quickly dial a number, the "recent calls" screen isn't gonna help you. Especially when you have to press a tiny circle with dots at the bottom of the screen to actually see the dial pad. Smartphones forget that they're still "phones".

agreed, but the other 99.9% of the time you're just making phone calls to people you know. I don't want the phone defaulting to the .1% setup.

So again, a choice would be nice.

jdd77

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
agreed, but the other 99.9% of the time you're just making phone calls to people you know. I don't want the phone defaulting to the .1% setup.

So again, a choice would be nice.

yes 99.9% of the time you are making calls to people you know. But universally speaking, if the phone is set to something you CAN'T change, why wouldn't it be the dial pad?... it would make more sense if "recent calls" was in a little circle at the bottom of the screen. lol

Last edited:

jdd77

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
Have fun, let us know if you find any goodies jdd77. :)

Ok. 7dialer was not what I was looking for (thanks for the suggestion) but I did find something simply called "phone dialer" and its free. Its a tile of a picture of a rotary dialer and no text. When you open it, you are defaulted to.... a dial pad! And even better, there's an "abc" icon that allows you to type the first couple letters of a contact and brings up their phone numbers as well as when you dial a number. Now there's no need for the "people" tile as well. I've replaced the stock phone tile with it. Only thing is, you can't view recent calls so it might not work out after all. Alas! One problem solved, another emerges...

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Mention to the creator that you would like their app to have an icon to bring up the recent calls list. Should be pretty simple to include in the next update.

7 dialer seems pretty impressive. Wonder why wp7 did not come with something like it originally? I really like the call later option. Not sure how much I would use it, but neat feature still.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
there we go thinking logically (for us). Our logic may noy not have a seat at the WP table. Although you could make this a suggestion for the next update of WPOS over at their voting site. Worth a shot!

jdd77

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
I have to just clarify about the "phone dialer" I downloaded. I said there was no recent call log, but just missed a call and there it is. So it defaults to the dialer, searches for contacts as you type a number, and has recent calls. I'm using this instead of the stock dialer.

jdd77

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
Thanks wee bear, because of your suggestion I found something I was looking for (didn't know you could download a different phone dialer!) Now to see if I can find a replacement for the many other things I have gripes about...

techprincesse

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
I have the same complaint. Been using the free phone dialer app as well, only thing i wish the Call button was bigger to press. And also the program takes time to open after clicking it sits on a black screen for at least 20 seconds before it comes up. No other app on my phone has this kind of delay.

I was hoping MS would have allowed the choice of dialer or recent calls with the Mango release.

jdd77

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
I have the same complaint. Been using the free phone dialer app as well, only thing i wish the Call button was bigger to press. And also the program takes time to open after clicking it sits on a black screen for at least 20 seconds before it comes up. No other app on my phone has this kind of delay.

I was hoping MS would have allowed the choice of dialer or recent calls with the Mango release.

I just started using it today. And although it does what I want, you're right..it takes awhile to load. I looked for other dialers because of this but I couldn't find anything better. I hope there's another update that allows for more options (with more than just the dialer).

Last edited:

Rhody#WP

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I think if I had an emergency, I would just hold the windows button down and say "call 911." I cant think of any other situation where that half-second would make a difference.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janecruise