Real disappointed with Nokia. Now to make a choice.

mmaman

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
After Nokia World here are my thoughts:

Focus S:I currently have a GS2 so this phone should be familiar to me immediately, the screen is great in terms of quality and size, the camera is great, has a FFC, 16gb, Battery is good, near perfect phone tbh, while its a pretty nice looking phone, here is my main problem, it feels cheap, cheap, cheap! It is lightweight and that's ok, but the plastic just feels cheap and I hate the backing, beyond that fantastic phone.
Samsung-Focus-S-windows-phone-att.jpg

Titan:Gotta say its quite the looker! Not to mention it has that HTC build quality which rarely fails, 16gb, FFC, Great Battery, Great Camera ESPECIALLY by HTC standards, this phone fixes my cheap feeling issue with the Focus S but possibly brings in a new problem to replace it, whats the problem? Possibly its biggest selling point. The Screen, now its not the SLCD as it has proven to be even better then HTC's other SLCDs which were great as is, is it the size? Not quite but it remains to be seen if its TOO big in person, so whats the problem? The Resolution, it retains the same res that every other WP and most android phones have, combine that with a 4.7' display and the Pixel Density suffers, comparing it to an iPhone for or 800, you will notice the difference. Other then that the phone seems to be near perfect, just as the Focus S!
htc_titan.jpg

And Finally we have the 800/SeaRay/Lumia:So here we have a great Design, good Proc, 16gb, Fantasic Camera, great build quality, but here comes my 2 problems with the 800, The screen while Clearblack Amoled which has proven to be on par and maybe even better then Super Amoled, is only 3.7', now the Pixel Density will benefit from this unlike the Titan, its a little small by today's standards, a 4' on this device would have been perfect like its cousin the N9, The Focus S might be the sweet spot. Having a GS2, Im not sure I can go back to 3.7", 4"? sure but 3.7..., then we have no FFC, I mean.....seriously? With Skype coming up its a major WTF on Nokia's part, really baffling, I know people will defend it saying FFC is not really needed and most dont use it, but just remember that is YOU, not everyone is the same. Other then that it is great looking, great camera, great build but I think 3.7 is too small for me. Another issue is that it wont be coming to US as of now and to import will be a lot of money surely as its a Nokia phone.
nokia-800-leak-on-deskeng1.jpg

So as it stands Its gotta be between the Titan and Focus S for me, as I said the Focus S is near perfect, if it has an HTC or Nokia Build quality, I we wouldn't even be having this conversation, unfortunately though it doesn't, then we have the Titan but without seeing it in person, I cant really say if its too big for me or if the Pixel Density is noticeable. And as far as the 800, it looks great but with a 3.7' screen, not US and no FFC, and most likely a high price unlocked, I'll have to pass. Whichever I get though its mainly about the OS as I really want WP, but we all want nice hardware as well.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I don't think you can go wrong with either the Focus S or the Titan. The Focus S will have NFC, while the Titan will support DLNA. Both are looking to be very nice phones.

benjiprice

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
Fantastic post. It really resonates with my own thinking on this decision. If the Focus S and the Titan were to mate, they pump out the ideal phone. As you say, seeing them in person is going to be key. It feels like it's taking forever for these to appear in stores. Maybe it's because I check wpcentral multiple times a day expected an announcement about their availability but nothing comes. They can't be that far out so why not just announce a date.

benjiprice

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
I don't think you can go wrong with either the Focus S or the Titan. The Focus S will have NFC, while the Titan will support DLNA. Both are looking to be very nice phones.

You sure about this? I posted the following in the Focus S forum:
I doubt it will have NFC. WP7 won't add support for NFC until 2012, so I doubt Sammy would include include it. I imagine MS will want to build up an ecosystem similar to Google wallet before launching it (even though payments aren't the only use for NFC) as well as define acceptable hardware.

I also don't see mention of NFC in their FCC filing.

Windows phones to get NFC in 2012

Last edited:

mmaman

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Fantastic post. It really resonates with my own thinking on this decision. If the Focus S and the Titan were to mate, they pump out the ideal phone. As you say, seeing them in person is going to be key. It feels like it's taking forever for these to appear in stores. Maybe it's because I check wpcentral multiple times a day expected an announcement about their availability but nothing comes. They can't be that far out so why not just announce a date.

You and me both man! But I suggest trying not to worry to much and dont check the site to much, I know it sounds hard as I am guilty of this as well but it will come eventually(Nov me thinks), trust me I was checking WPCentral everyday looking for info on Nokia and Nokia World, now that it has passed and it was kinda of a disappointment (for me at least) I dont feel I gotta keep checking the site or news constantly anymore, now I just sit back and wait for the Titan and Focus in stores, once they hit I check them out and I get one hopefully by Christmas, simple as that!

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Alright more people confirming Nokia is a disappointment lol...

what happen to the 7million from MS??

Nokia might have a gambling problem…..

cause im pretty sure they dint invest it in new innovation/technologies for the new phones.. they rolled back 2 years instead... what happened the the 12MP cameras lol.....

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
It was part of the specs that was listed. I'll go find the page and post the link.
You sure about this? I posted the following in the Focus S forum:
I doubt it will have NFC. WP7 won't add support for NFC until 2012, so I doubt Sammy would include include it. I imagine MS will want to build up an ecosystem similar to Google wallet before launching it (even though payments aren't the only use for NFC) as well as define acceptable hardware.

I also don't see mention of NFC in their FCC filing.

Windows phones to get NFC in 2012
Welp, can't find the link. I used it in another post. I thought it was from gsmarena but it doesn't list NFC on there. Hmmmm

Last edited:

dragonfire6

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
S or Titan...

I am *patiently* waiting for the Focus S... You said it "feels cheap" and I was wondering where you were able to actually hold one??? I like the 4.3" screen size but the buttons on the HD7S were a deal breaker for me and I'm hoping the Titan is better.

Can we please get some release dates??? I mean for the love of all things holy!! I don't know who is in charge of marketing these phones or if everything has been held back because of the Nokia deal/agreement but come on already. Accidentally lose a Focus S or Titan in a bar somewhere at least...

If these mediocre Nokia phones aren't coming out until next year, I think the WP7 fans out there would like to know when they can expect their other options. Seriously Nokia, gonna miss all the U.S. holiday buyers? I had figured they were holding off on announcing the S and Titan because Nokia wanted to have first dibs on new/upgrading customers wanting the new Mango phones but hearing 2012 for the U.S. really surprised me. Probably wasn't the game plan going in but I'm getting annoyed at seeing "Coming Soon" under the phones that are actually desirable.

I personally don't like the Nokia phones and I don't think I would've been impressed with them if they had come out last year with the first wave of WP7 devices- wave is a little too strong of a word- first splash of WP7 devices.

Ugh I'm just venting here and I have a feeling we're probably a week away from knowing when the S and Titan will be released, just hurry it up already.
/rant

mmaman

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
I am *patiently* waiting for the Focus S... You said it "feels cheap" and I was wondering where you were able to actually hold one??? I like the 4.3" screen size but the buttons on the HD7S were a deal breaker for me and I'm hoping the Titan is better.

Can we please get some release dates??? I mean for the love of all things holy!! I don't know who is in charge of marketing these phones or if everything has been held back because of the Nokia deal/agreement but come on already. Accidentally lose a Focus S or Titan in a bar somewhere at least...

If these mediocre Nokia phones aren't coming out until next year, I think the WP7 fans out there would like to know when they can expect their other options. Seriously Nokia, gonna miss all the U.S. holiday buyers? I had figured they were holding off on announcing the S and Titan because Nokia wanted to have first dibs on new/upgrading customers wanting the new Mango phones but hearing 2012 for the U.S. really surprised me. Probably wasn't the game plan going in but I'm getting annoyed at seeing "Coming Soon" under the phones that are actually desirable.

I personally don't like the Nokia phones and I don't think I would've been impressed with them if they had come out last year with the first wave of WP7 devices- wave is a little too strong of a word- first splash of WP7 devices.

Ugh I'm just venting here and I have a feeling we're probably a week away from knowing when the S and Titan will be released, just hurry it up already.
/rant
Well common sense tells me that it will be the same as the Galaxy S2 which I currently have, I mean look at it, it is basically the same exact phone except with some changes here and there and a different OS, same with the Galaxy S2's on other carriers, they may look a bit different but they are the same exact phone with the same exact feeling, they are using the same exact materials, casing and everything, there's no reason to believe that the Focus S will feel different, same case with the Original Focus and Galaxy S, almost the same type of phone, same exact feeling and what not. So I dont have to hold one to know what it feels like.

Michael-Dallas

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Sabre and Sea Ray will not be available in the U.S. (well, Sabre will be, but that's by proxy since T-Mobile is owned by Deutsche Telekom, a European carrier). As Yoda said, "There is another" and many of you have already heard of it -- Ace. The intraweb specs are pretty accurate and there are engineering protos of Ace floating around in the U.S. right now.

Michael.

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Sabre and Sea Ray will not be available in the U.S. (well, Sabre will be, but that's by proxy since T-Mobile is owned by Deutsche Telekom, a European carrier). As Yoda said, "There is another" and many of you have already heard of it -- Ace. The intraweb specs are pretty accurate and there are engineering protos of Ace floating around in the U.S. right now.

Michael.

It's the Michael-Dallas from Howard forums i gather?

Then the only question i got for you is that when you think Ace will come out?

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I've looked and can't find any leaked prototype photos. Care to link some?

Michael.

Umm Yeah

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
I've looked and can't find any leaked prototype photos. Care to link some?

Michael.

I do like the specs but since I've seen absolutely nothing, I'm HIGHLY skeptical about the Ace. I would REALLY LOVE to be proven wrong and have it come to Verizon. (Hey, if I'm wishing for a vaporware phone, I might as well get it in CDMA too!)

ryude

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
The Focus S just makes more sense, the only reason I would consider Nokia right now is they have some really good apps that are exclusive. Nokia Maps/Drive and Nokia Music are just awesome and imo if Nokia can hit the magical 4" screen I might just buy a Nokia phone.

jabtano

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Piff though the 800 looks nice...3.7 isn't a flagship deal breaker focus S titian them two are WP7 flagship not the stuff Nokia is showing. big waste of time. I been holding off making my pick fOR THIS....<<<bangs head>>> If the volume on the titian is better than the HD7 then it's that device if not the focus S. maybe a nokia for grampa.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism