The myth about capacitive touch buttons

desmonium

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
I have been checking up WPcentral forums for a long time but just registered cuz I am so confused if I should get Focus S or Lumia 800.

While many people look at the specs, I look at the fundamentals, the ease & usability of the handsets.

Now first look at the position of the capacitive buttons in the pictures below for Focus S and Lumia 800.

i937_400x400_large1_cf.jpg
nokia-lumia-800-black.jpg

My question is:

Focus S got a huge 4.3" screen, while the buttons are at the very bottom of the front panel, it's kinda awkward for the thumb to reach the buttons, especially the "back" and "bing" buttons.

On the other hand, with a 3.7" screen and the buttons are right underneath the screen, it's quite easy to reach the capacitive buttons but too easy, so that you might easily touch any of those 3 buttons accidentally, frequently.

So the conclusion is, Focus S got hard-to-reach buttons but also hard-to-mis-click, Lumia 800 got easy-to-reach buttons but quite easy-to-mis-click.

What is your opinion on this? Which one would you prefer solely in terms of capactitive buttons?

I heard Nokia Lumia 800 got some special design around the capacitive buttons to avoid accidental clicks but I could not find any source anywhere else. Help?

Thanks so much in advance.

Preordered Lumia 800 but not sure if I should cancel it, because of the capacitive buttons, also the thick body compared to Focus S and the lack of Gorilla Glass.

:unsure:

Rico

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Haven't heard anything about preventing accidental clicks, but if it's anything like the Focus post Nodo update, swiping from the touch screen to the buttons will not activate them. Small detail, but it made playing games much easier, especially before fast resume came along.

monotok

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
I have the DVP and it is quite close to the screen although not as close as the Nokia, and have only accidentally pressed them once.
I prefer the Nokia :) plus you get all the offline Nokia maps and stuff :p

desmonium

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
The poll answers are ambiguous.

huh? why... I just wanna see for buttons, whether people prefer Lumia's or Focus', and for overall consideration, whether people prefer Lumia or Focus...

Haven't heard anything about preventing accidental clicks, but if it's anything like the Focus post Nodo update, swiping from the touch screen to the buttons will not activate them. Small detail, but it made playing games much easier, especially before fast resume came along.

That's so cool! Is that just by Samsung or it's in Mango???

I have the DVP and it is quite close to the screen although not as close as the Nokia, and have only accidentally pressed them once.
I prefer the Nokia :) plus you get all the offline Nokia maps and stuff :p

Yea Nokia is certainly nice, but misclicking is really a pain in the rear. I do hope Lumia doesn't have such problem...

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
NoDo did a lot to help stop accidental clicks of these buttons. If you slide your finger from the screen to these buttons, they do not activate. But, I still accidentally click them on my HD&7 (which seems to split the difference in placement between these two phones). I prefer the Samsung's buttons, especially on a larger phone, but on a 3.7" screen I don't think there will be problems with the Lumia's button placement.

desmonium

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
NoDo did a lot to help stop accidental clicks of these buttons. If you slide your finger from the screen to these buttons, they do not activate. But, I still accidentally click them on my HD&7 (which seems to split the difference in placement between these two phones). I prefer the Samsung's buttons, especially on a larger phone, but on a 3.7" screen I don't think there will be problems with the Lumia's button placement.

I guess you are right, as long as I don't play games in horizontal mode and the pause button is not right next to "Bing".

But how about clicking on the bottom menu bar, are the buttons too close to the bottom of the screen on Lumia? Guess I'll have to be the guinea pig.

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I guess you are right, as long as I don't play games in horizontal mode and the pause button is not right next to "Bing".

But how about clicking on the bottom menu bar, are the buttons too close to the bottom of the screen on Lumia? Guess I'll have to be the guinea pig.

Most games will let you play in horizontal mode either way, so you can just flip the phone to which ever way makes the buttons less in the way. There are few exceptions (Fruit Ninja comes to mind), but many will let you pick which way you want your phone.

I think the menu bar should be fine. WP7 has pretty accurate touch in my response, so you should be pretty good.

desmonium

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
What? Thats depressing...

How "Un-Metro" of them.

I wish there is an option so that you can change the font. hmmm. at least you can switch back to Segeo.

WPCentral Nokia Lumia 800 Review said:
Unfortunately there are a few annoyances that lie with the Lumia 800, which is all down to the buttons located on the device. The physical buttons on the right-side of the handset are not the sturdiest of buttons found on electronic devices, and the rattling that can be heard when handling the handset doesn?t fit the overall strive of perfection Nokia has taken with the unibody. While we?re attacking the buttons on the Lumia 800, the capacitive keys, that already find themselves in the "hate" list of Windows Phone owners, are far too close to the display. If you thought accidentally pressing the search button was easy, you?ve witnessed nothing yet.

OMG. Looks like L800's buttons are indeed designed poorly. hmmm :(

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12