Help - must have apps for a new WP user?

greenjbhsd

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
Short history - I have been with an iPhone since day one. When iOS 5 was released I updated my iPhone 4 and then switched to Android. iOS 5 just did not do it for me. I have been with Android for 3 weeks now using a Galaxy S2. I LOVE the hardware, luke warm at best on Android. On November 6th I will be trading in my SG2 and getting a Focus S.

That said. I don't want to flood my phone with apps. I want to get what I consider criticals and leave it at that. This is where I could use some help from long time users both in category suggestions and equivalent suggestions. I did do some searching, but with Mango being very fresh peoples lists may have changed. Please suggest favorites!

Around town/Social:
Yelp
Facebook
Movies (flixster)
IMDB

News/Weather:
Weather Channel
USA Today
Pulse
Engadget
WPCentral

Games:
The Harvest
Angry Birds (do we get all three?)
Suggestions??
Solitaire (suggestions)

Navigation:
gmap
Suggestions??

Conversion tool:
unit conversions (suggestions)

Misc:
Epocrates (Anyone have a similar suggestion)
Dragon Go/Vlingo (suggestions)
Tasks/To do (suggestions)
Barcode scanner (suggestions)
Ringtone maker (suggestions)
Photo editor (suggestions)

Dagolara

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
You might be able to forgo Yelp in favor of Local Scout built into Bing but not a bad fall back, as for the others:

News/Weather:
Weave
GooNews
Accuweather

Games (few indie favs of mine):
Wordament
Taptitude
Chromatic

There is a built in ToDo list in the calender but I'm sure others will have a favorite app or two for that. As for Ringtones there is a good article here on making your own if an app isn't out there (I'm not aware of any as I just cut my own).

desmonium

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
Wow. a lot of **** in your list.

For me:

Finance:
Pageonce Pro (awesome ****)

News & Weather:
Weatherbug
NYT/WSJ
Bloomberg
Engadget
WPCentral

Local Info / Shopping:
Fandango / Poynt (no idea why I keep it because local scout probably would suffice)
IMDB
Amazon
Groupon

IM:
Fb (already integrated in message hub, how about gtalk now m$/google?)
Renren
QQ
Gtalk

Games:
Soduku (free by M$)
Minesweeper (free by M$)

Navigation:
Bing map (no apps needed, fine for me)
Nokia Map & Drive (to come soon)

Misc:
Barcode scanner (integrated with bing vision so no apps needed)

---
EDIT:

Wow. I just amazed myself at how many news apps I need... Do I really care that much about this world? :S

Last edited:

Dagolara

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
Fb (already integrated in message hub, how about gtalk now m$/google?)

While integrated it still has the handicap of being a 3rd party application. Having the stand alone app is worth it if you have people you want to see updates from that have their settings to not share with 3rd party apps.

desmonium

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
While integrated it still has the handicap of being a 3rd party application. Having the stand alone app is worth it if you have people you want to see updates from that have their settings to not share with 3rd party apps.

Huh interesting point. looks like you got a few shady friends. =P

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I prefer AccuWeather to Weather Channel myself. Pre-Mango, AccuWeather's live tile updated better than Weather Channel, and now I prefer AccuWeather so I haven't even given WC another chance.

Movies/Flixter is available, but I think Fandango is better.

For games, I love Plant's vs. Zombies. And the Windows Phone version is superior to the Android version in my opinion (me and my buddy compared side by side), but I don't know how it compares to the iOS version.

The HTC unit converter is great, but it is only available on HTC phones, so I don't know of a good one for a Focus S.

The built in barcode scanner is great for QR codes, better and faster than ANY app I have tried on any other platform. ShopSavvy is great for comparing product prices.

Dragon/Vlingo. Most of the functionality of those apps is built in to WP7 using the "Tellme" feature of the OS. Simply hold the home button and it starts (for the record, this came out BEFORE Siri and does a decent chunk of what Siri does). You can make a call, compose a text, launch an app, search the internet, and many other things.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Around town/Social:
Facebook
Twitter

News/Weather:
HTC Weather Hub
USA Today
CNN
Engadget
WPCentral

Games:
Angry Birds
Flight Control
Full House Poker
Logic Games
Chromatic Pro
Yahtzee

Navigation:
Nothing extra yet

Conversion tool:
HTC conversions

Misc:
HTC Photo editor
HTC Compass
Insider
HTC Notes
SPB TV

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
News/Weather
-Weather Channel
-USA Today
-Weave (free or 2.99)

Games
-Solitaire by Jake Poznanaski (free)

Conversion
-Converter Pro (.99)

Mis
-Tasks - CleverToDo (2.99 and worth it)
-Ringtones - easyRing
-Photo Editor - CleverPhoto (1.49) or
-Thumba Photo Editor - (.99)
-Sports - Sports Scores and Pro Sports Scores (live tiles) and Score Mobile for in depth
- Passwords - SkyWallet (3.99 w/desktop companion)
-BandWidth - to check download speeds
-Smart Shopping (.99)
-Speeddial v1.1 (.99)
-Terra Explorer

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

greenjbhsd

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
Thanks all! This will help in making the transition next weekend go a little more smoothly! Now I just need to sit in front of the phone and see how it functions for a lot of my questions that I don't see in reviews and such. The little nit picky odds and ends. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3