Is there a contact tile in Mango or just the people tile?

desmonium

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
I want to add that it [people tile] probably uses up more battery life than it needs to, with all those little squares constantly cycling pictures and flipping around. I'll look for the speed dial apps Aubryq mentioned, but don't really wanna have a tile for each of my 150 contacts!

Wanna know my approach?

1. Unpin the people tile from start.
2. Create a small group for my most contacted people (<15), where I wanna see their updates. (You can skip this part if you wanna save battery)
3. Go to facebook app when I need to see others' updates, or when I am bored. (Gladly I don't use twitter, and I think it's stupid, personally)
4. When I need to call someone, I just go to phone tile and type in the names. You can reach contacts in the phone tile.

Now how neat is that?

=D

ecthroi

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
Wanna know my approach?

2. Create a small group for my most contacted people (<15), where I wanna see their updates. (You can skip this part if you wanna save battery)
3. Go to facebook app when I need to see others' updates, or when I am bored. (Gladly I don't use twitter, and I think it's stupid, personally)
4. When I need to call someone, I just go to phone tile and type in the names. You can reach contacts in the phone tile.

Now how neat is that?

=D

you can unpin the people tile? i find that surprising, in a good way. customization options are always welcome, and i could see myself doing this as well. thanks for the info!

desmonium

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
you can unpin the people tile? i find that surprising, in a good way. customization options are always welcome, and i could see myself doing this as well. thanks for the info!

Heyhey. I am not saying we can. I am just suggesting M$ should implement this option. =) Or you can move it to the bottom of the screen.

jdd77

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
Wanna know my approach?

Now how neat is that?

=D

I downloaded speed dial 7 and put all my contacts in and pinned it to start. I use it as my contacts tile and unpinned the people tile. You can make calls and text from it and there's no stupid little squares for pictures next to the names. Its refreshing to see a solid tile instead of little crazy squares constantly flipping and changing..probably save some battery life too. Ill see how it works out..

Bballbenb

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
is there a way you can delete your facebook account on the wp7 and it will take off all of the synced contacts and everything or will they always be there?

Rhody#WP

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I use the people hub differently. I actually use it to look at facebook and twitter updates first and then to look up people I want to contact. Even though I have my son, girlfriend, ex-wife, and parents pinned, and I contact those people 80% of the time, I still find myself using the people hub to find contacts all the time.

Here's an example. I was talking to a co-worker about someone we used to work with who just had a baby. I pulled out my phone, selected the people tile, found her contact, swiped to the pictures spoke and showed my co-worker pictures of the baby in seconds. You can't do that with a speed dial app.

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Here's an example. I was talking to a co-worker about someone we used to work with who just had a baby. I pulled out my phone, selected the people tile, found her contact, swiped to the pictures spoke and showed my co-worker pictures of the baby in seconds. You can't do that with a speed dial app.
I understood that jd77 was looking for a quick-and-dirty contact dialer and SpeedDial7 meets that requirement for him. SpeedDial7 was not designed to replace the People Hub.

Matthew Mazzenga

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
is there a way you can delete your facebook account on the wp7 and it will take off all of the synced contacts and everything or will they always be there?

If you don't have your facebook account synced to your phone, your facebook contacts will not show in your contact list. You also won't get any updates or anything from anyone in your contacts list who has a facebook account. Basically, facebook will not exist on your phone.

Settings > email+accounts > long-press on Facebook > delete

desmonium

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
If you don't have your facebook account synced to your phone, your facebook contacts will not show in your contact list. You also won't get any updates or anything from anyone in your contacts list who has a facebook account. Basically, facebook will not exist on your phone.

Settings > email+accounts > long-press on Facebook > delete

Or if we have a more customizable control like on BB. Can link individual contacts to their facebook account without displaying/downloading all the friends of fb to the phone.

SB_Pete

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
Well, I can relate. I don't like, use or want any social media on my phone (sorry, I know lots of you love that stuff - I don't). I just unpinned the people tile, dl'd "speed dialer" for the 12 most used and pinned that. Then I just access contact list from the phone icon. I have to click three things to start searching for a name that I only needed to hit one (hard) key on my old symbian phone. Not ideal, but hey, WP7 works great as a internet/media device, less great as a phone. Same as iOS and Android really. Just the way it goes I figure.

If somebody created a straight to contact list, I would probably dl that though. Ideally, I'd like something that pulls up a # pad immediately with large, easy to press buttons for voicemail, contacts and call histories.

jdd77

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
Totally agree with you. I don't even have Facebook and its integrated into everything. Messages are now called threads and a couple times I hit the wrong button in the pictures hub and shared my photos with cyberspace. Even the phone dialer takes you to recent calls instead of..well the phone dialer. I downloaded something that makes it feel more like a phone and it helps. Its called "new group+". What it does is group your tiles into categories with titles, giving you the feel that your scrolling through vertical home screens rather than all your media/tools/contacts (etc..) being all together on one screen. I'm hoping an update will bring a dedicated phone soft key but for now I'm just getting used to it.

Matthew Mazzenga

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
I think I'm a little confused as to what you guys are looking for. If you don't want integration with social sites, you don't have to link them. When I open the People hub, the very first thing I see is my contact list. I don't understand the need for 3rd party apps for contacts. I don't understand the problem here.

Also, in the People hub settings, you can set it so your contacts list doesn't show anyone from any social sites...essentially, making it just a Contact list.

jdd77

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
I think I'm a little confused as to what you guys are looking for. If you don't want integration with social sites, you don't have to link them. When I open the People hub, the very first thing I see is my contact list. I don't understand the need for 3rd party apps for contacts. I don't understand the problem here.

Also, in the People hub settings, you can set it so your contacts list doesn't show anyone from any social sites...essentially, making it just a Contact list.

I don't know if it's for the same reasons as sb pete, but I unpinned the people tile because all those little squares flippin and fading in and out annoyed the *** outta me!
I use a speed dialer app as a contacts tile solely because it is static. It would be great to be able to create tiles to link with things in your phone..I would make one for the people tile among other things.

Last edited:

SB_Pete

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site

You're absolutely right, and i don't have any social media linked or integrated. That still doesn't make the people tile very useful to me. When i open it, I get a contact list, yes. I do not get any ability to open call history, phone dialer, or access vm though. Also, like jd77 (sorry weebear), those flipping things just annoyed me. I just want to look at the home screen, get useful info at a glance and move on.

When I open the phone icon, I get one integrated call history with little tiny soft buttons for VM, dialer, contacts, and search. This is ok, but those little soft buttons sure are hard to hit correctly 100% of the time while driving, running, or biking.

I would love to have an app that I could pin to the start screen that when I open it:
1. Brings up a numerical keypad first
2. Has large easy to press tabs for Contacts and Call History.
3. Can be programmed to speed dial off those numbers (hold 1 for VM, 2 for joe schmo, etc.)
4. Brings up an option to save to contacts when I type in a number (more or less like the current one does, but making it easier to save to new would be nice).
5. has a call history that can show not just one integrated call history but swipe left and right to see calls made, calls received, calls missed all separately.
6. Lastly, I'd like the live tile to indicate both calls missed and voicemails waiting separately. I often forget that I have voicemails I didn't check because the alert goes away when i open it up and see the missed calls and call someone back. By the end of the call, I have forgotten about the vm.

Last edited:

jdd77

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
You're absolutely right, and i don't have any social media linked or integrated. That still doesn't make the people tile very useful to me. When i open it, I get a contact list, yes. I do not get any ability to open call history, phone dialer, or access vm though. Also, like jd77 (sorry weebear), those flipping things just annoyed me. I just want to look at the home screen, get useful info at a glance and move on.

When I open the phone icon, I get one integrated call history with little tiny soft buttons for VM, dialer, contacts, and search. This is ok, but those little soft buttons sure are hard to hit correctly 100% of the time while driving, running, or biking.

I would love to have an app that I could pin to the start screen that when I open it:
1. Brings up a numerical keypad first
2. Has large easy to press tabs for Contacts and Call History.
3. Can be programmed to speed dial off those numbers (hold 1 for VM, 2 for joe schmo, etc.)
4. Brings up an option to save to contacts when I type in a number (more or less like the current one does, but making it easier to save to new would be nice).
5. has a call history that can show not just one integrated call history but swipe left and right to see calls made, calls received, calls missed all separately.
6. Lastly, I'd like the live tile to indicate both calls missed and voicemails waiting separately. I often forget that I have voicemails I didn't check because the alert goes away when i open it up and see the missed calls and call someone back. By the end of the call, I have forgotten about the vm.

Totally agree with 1-6. And 6 by the way is a great idea.
For these reasons I found something that may be helpful to you. There is an app simply called "phone dialer" in marketplace and the tile shows a pic of a rotery dialer with no text.
It brings up the phone dialer FIRST, like a phone should and does something else most cell phones do that the stock dialer on this phone doesn't: it searches your contact list as you type a name or a number. But I uninstalled it because it takes awhile to load up and doesn't display names when calling or texting someone (3rd party apps are not allowed to do that for some reason.) The last update gave the phone the ability to tell you what song your listening to, but over-looked much needed revision to the ability to make calls. Hopefully the next update will focus more on phone-related things..

Neibl

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
you can create group tiles now with mango so you can have a tile for any amount of contacts you want and it will be separate from the people tile. just goto people hub and create a group and then pin to start.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo