We made some changes

Our new forums are here!

Saving money on data

Mint SIM is the perfect way to get cheap data in the U.S.

Don't count Windows Phone out just yet

Dead? Psh. Here are 5 reasons to stick with Windows 10 Mobile

VPN vs. Proxy

The difference between a proxy and a VPN

Latitude attitude

Dell Latitude 7280 is a business laptop with tons of consumer attitude

4K all the way

You probably don't NEED a 4K webcam, but we love Logitech's BRIO 4K anyway

Long live Windows phone

Contrary to popular belief, Windows phone won't die anytime soon

XP-YESSSSSSS

Dell's already awesome XPS 15 gets even better in 2017

Surface Pwn 5

Surface Pro 5, Project NEON details leaked on LinkedIn?

Redefining the PC

Why Microsoft's Surface phone could be MUCH more than a mere 'phone'

Surface table meets Windows 10

Yes, we did put Windows 10 on the original Surface table ... and it rocks

Cream o' the crop

Before buying a Microsoft laptop, check out our pick for the absolute best

Simple and secure, just the way I like it

We think Windows 10 Cloud is a great idea, here's why

uber micro

Halo Wars 2 has something for everyone. Here's our full review.

Oldie but goldie

We reviewed Microsoft's decade-old Surface table

Creators Update comin' at ya

These are the coolest new features in the next big Xbox One update (video)

Buyer's guide

The Razer Blade 14 is the best laptop Razer has to offer

Windows 10 app gems

10 terrific Windows 10 apps you should be using

Tower of power

Here's what we think of Dell's XPS Tower Special Edition

Quite a deal

Grab the complete C# coding bootcamp for $41!

< >
Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 39
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Bballbenb's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    211 Posts
    Global Posts
    391 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #1  
    How do you view your contacts to call someone? Is it all located in the people tile? Also if you choose not to have your facebook friends sync to your contacts, will the people you have in your contacts on your phone still show facebook, twitter, etc updates in the people hub or no?
  2. TheWeeBear's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    5,293 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,295 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #2  
    You can just pin individual contacts to the home screen if you prefer that way of access.

    Just a quick pan to the right shows whats new and history for that person.

    Nothing is shown on their tile though apart from their name and photo on the home screen. (Animated)
  3. Bballbenb's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    211 Posts
    Global Posts
    391 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #3  
    No I would have too many people i need to contact to pin each individually. Can you answer my question about " if you choose not to have your facebook friends sync to your people hub, will the people you have in your contacts on your phone still show facebook, twitter, etc updates in the people hub or no? "

    Thanks!
  4. TheWeeBear's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    5,293 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,295 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #4  
    I don't have my facebook friends (non contacts) show in my contacts they are filtered out and my existing phone contacts do still show their facebook updates.

    Is that what you meant ?

    Sorry i'm easily confused LOL :)
  5. Bballbenb's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    211 Posts
    Global Posts
    391 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #5  
    Yes, check the message i just sent you i need help!
  6. desmonium's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    139 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWeeBear View Post
    I don't have my facebook friends (non contacts) show in my contacts they are filtered out and my existing phone contacts do still show their facebook updates.

    Is that what you meant ?

    Sorry i'm easily confused LOL :)
    I think his question is:

    Can we only pick a certain subset of contacts to link to their facebook accounts, instead of getting all facebook friends downloaded as contacts on the phone?

    I have the same trouble. I got a bunch of friends on facebook but I don't wanna spoil my contacts and get all of them on my phone, but I still wanna see certain contacts in my phone book linked to their facebook accounts.
  7. Vector555's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    138 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #7  
    As long as you have a Facebook account synced, the phone will link your manually programmed contacts even if you choose not to sync facebook contacts.

    Sent from something somewhere.
  8. desmonium's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    139 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Vector555 View Post
    As long as you have a Facebook account synced, the phone will link your manually programmed contacts even if you choose not to sync facebook contacts.

    Sent from something somewhere.
    Hmmmm what?

    Facebook will dump all your friends to your contacts? :mad:
  9. Vector555's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    138 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #9  
    No, it will make the association between your contact John smith and your Facebook contact John smith if you desire. This will allow you to see updates for John smith without syncing all your Facebook contacts.

    Sent from something somewhere.
    Bballbenb likes this.
  10. desmonium's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    139 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Vector555 View Post
    No, it will make the association between your contact John smith and your Facebook contact John smith if you desire. This will allow you to see updates for John smith without syncing all your Facebook contacts.

    Sent from something somewhere.
    That's good. I like this manual method better, than syncing everythings. BTW I got several friends who have the same names. I hope that's not a problem. XD
  11. Bballbenb's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    211 Posts
    Global Posts
    391 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #11  
    awesome thats great news. thanks
  12. PG2G's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    453 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #12  
    All you need to do is go to "People -> Settings -> Filter My Contacts" and only check the services that you want to show in your contact list. For me, I uncheck Facebook and Twitter, so people on Facebook or Twitter only don't show up in my contacts and people that have Windows Live or Google contacts do show.

    Their updates still show in the people hub and if you do a search they will still show up.
  13. Bballbenb's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    211 Posts
    Global Posts
    391 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #13  
    So the only updates that will show in your people hub are the ones listed in your contact in your phone list that have a facebook or twitter. And this is with checking to un-sync facebook and twitter to contacts.

    Correct?

    If so this will be a lot better, because the main people in my contacts are the only people i really care about seeing updates for!
  14. PG2G's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    453 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #14  
    Nah, it will show all Facebook or Twitter updates.

    As soon as you link Facebook or Twitter all of the contacts will come over. You can just hide them from the contact list (but not from the "What's New" page).

    You might want to consider creating a group if you only want status updates for a limited number of people.
  15. KingCrimson's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    631 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by PG2G View Post
    All you need to do is go to "People -> Settings -> Filter My Contacts" and only check the services that you want to show in your contact list. For me, I uncheck Facebook and Twitter, so people on Facebook or Twitter only don't show up in my contacts and people that have Windows Live or Google contacts do show.

    Their updates still show in the people hub and if you do a search they will still show up.
    Question - what's the behavior on that contacts filter? Are Facebook & Twitter contacts automatically added as you link in those profiles and then you have uncheck them? That's a bad user experience IMHO.
  16. jdd77's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    337 Posts
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #16  
    Does anyone know of any downloadable app or setting that can replace the people tile with a solid contact tile? I find the people tile extremely annoying and distracting.
  17. Winterfang's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3,541 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,764 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWeeBear View Post
    You can just pin individual contacts to the home screen if you prefer that way of access.

    Just a quick pan to the right shows whats new and history for that person.

    Nothing is shown on their tile though apart from their name and photo on the home screen. (Animated)
    Happy Halloween WeeBear =D
  18. aubreyq's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,245 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,267 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by jdd77 View Post
    Does anyone know of any downloadable app or setting that can replace the people tile with a solid contact tile? I find the people tile extremely annoying and distracting.
    I can completely relate to your situation. WP7 is quite different as to how contacts are managed and approached. Can take some getting used to.

    I can't remember the exact name, but search in the Marketplace SpeedDial apps. I know some of them allow pin to Start. I've used one or two of those apps before but then got used to the WP7 way of things and ended up uninstalling them.

    Finally, like someone else suggested, you can try creating a group and then pin the group to Start.
  19. Rhody#WP's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    526 Posts
    Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by PG2G View Post
    Nah, it will show all Facebook or Twitter updates.

    As soon as you link Facebook or Twitter all of the contacts will come over. You can just hide them from the contact list (but not from the "What's New" page).
    Actually, there's a box for "Only show posts from people visible in my contact list," so I think that depends on whether you have that box checked.
    desmonium likes this.
  20. jdd77's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    337 Posts
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #20  
    I want to add that it [people tile] probably uses up more battery life than it needs to, with all those little squares constantly cycling pictures and flipping around. I'll look for the speed dial apps Aubreyq mentioned, but don't really wanna have a tile for each of my 150 contacts!
    Last edited by jdd77; 10-31-2011 at 06:55 PM.
  21. Rodolfo#WP's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    396 Posts
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #21  
    What's in a name? that which we call a People tile
    By any other name would smell as sweet -or not

    --Shakespeople
    ;)
  22. desmonium's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    139 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by jdd77 View Post
    I want to add that it [people tile] probably uses up more battery life than it needs to, with all those little squares constantly cycling pictures and flipping around. I'll look for the speed dial apps Aubryq mentioned, but don't really wanna have a tile for each of my 150 contacts!
    Wanna know my approach?

    1. Unpin the people tile from start.
    2. Create a small group for my most contacted people (<15), where I wanna see their updates. (You can skip this part if you wanna save battery)
    3. Go to facebook app when I need to see others' updates, or when I am bored. (Gladly I don't use twitter, and I think it's stupid, personally)
    4. When I need to call someone, I just go to phone tile and type in the names. You can reach contacts in the phone tile.

    Now how neat is that?

    =D
  23. ecthroi's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    30 Posts
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by desmonium View Post
    Wanna know my approach?

    1. Unpin the people tile from start.
    2. Create a small group for my most contacted people (<15), where I wanna see their updates. (You can skip this part if you wanna save battery)
    3. Go to facebook app when I need to see others' updates, or when I am bored. (Gladly I don't use twitter, and I think it's stupid, personally)
    4. When I need to call someone, I just go to phone tile and type in the names. You can reach contacts in the phone tile.

    Now how neat is that?

    =D
    you can unpin the people tile? i find that surprising, in a good way. customization options are always welcome, and i could see myself doing this as well. thanks for the info!
  24. desmonium's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    139 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by ecthroi View Post
    you can unpin the people tile? i find that surprising, in a good way. customization options are always welcome, and i could see myself doing this as well. thanks for the info!
    Heyhey. I am not saying we can. I am just suggesting M$ should implement this option. =) Or you can move it to the bottom of the screen.
  25. jdd77's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    337 Posts
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by desmonium View Post
    Wanna know my approach?

    1. Unpin the people tile from start.
    2. Create a small group for my most contacted people (<15), where I wanna see their updates. (You can skip this part if you wanna save battery)
    3. Go to facebook app when I need to see others' updates, or when I am bored. (Gladly I don't use twitter, and I think it's stupid, personally)
    4. When I need to call someone, I just go to phone tile and type in the names. You can reach contacts in the phone tile.

    Now how neat is that?

    =D
    I downloaded speed dial 7 and put all my contacts in and pinned it to start. I use it as my contacts tile and unpinned the people tile. You can make calls and text from it and there's no stupid little squares for pictures next to the names. Its refreshing to see a solid tile instead of little crazy squares constantly flipping and changing..probably save some battery life too. Ill see how it works out..
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

";