Windows Mobile sync with Mac?

wayneholbrook

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Hello, I have a mac and wanted to buy a windows mobile device. Has anyone synced thier device with a mac? If so how?

I want to sync basic things such as contacts and Ical.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
You do that through your Windows Live account for both contact and calendar. You have to have a Windows Live account.

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
For WP7, you can sync contacts and iCal by syncing them with a google account and then syncing that google account to your phone. You can't do it directly, unfortunately.

The Mac Phone Update software is OK, but not fabulous.

wayneholbrook

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
For WP7, you can sync contacts and iCal by syncing them with a google account and then syncing that google account to your phone. You can't do it directly, unfortunately.

The Mac Phone Update software is OK, but not fabulous.

Im new to windows, but I am refering to the latest Mango updaye for the Focus S. I want to buy this phone next week. So im I talking about windows mobile?

If I dont have and dont want a google account can I use the "Mac phone update software? I never heard of this, where can I get it?

wayneholbrook

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I googled everything I can think of. I just want to sync contacts and Ical to windows mobile. I went into windows live and I have an account but it only lets me import contacts from outlook. Any one have any ideas?

Wiccan Lagar

Aug 17, 2011
www.mpiofny.com
Ok just turned on my Mac to check out out. There is no option in directly import you contacts and calendar to the phone. You can however:

Export your contacts from the local machine to your live account.

For calendars I am not too sure of.

You would expect that windows phone and mac wouldn't play too nice. They are competitors.

Sent from my Venue Pro using Board Express

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
You would expect that windows phone and mac wouldn't play too nice. They are competitors.

True, but it's a really lousy excuse. iTunes on Windows is as complete as iTunes on the Mac for Windows iPod/iPad/iPhone users, and both Apple, MS and Google all play nice with each other accounts-wise. It's only MS who have this bizarre hangup about making Mac versions of their software, as if it's still 2001 and people will think flat-out stubbornness to the detriment of existing and potential customers is an acceptable business plan.

If they want to attract new people to WP7 you do that by making life easy, not by saying "make do with that or buy a Windows PC".

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
If you have your calendar and contacts set to sync with a google account or a windows live account you can just set up that same account on the phone. I use a Mac too and have no problems, but I don't really use the built in calendar or contact book.

wayneholbrook

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Really strange but I set up a live account and tried to import my contacts from my mac but it will not let me. On the mac it saves the contacts asa vcard and this does not support windows live. I really wanted to move over to a windows device but I cant not seem to sync my info from my mac at all, its so frustrating. Maybe I can do a wired sync, is this possible?

dtboos

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Really strange but I set up a live account and tried to import my contacts from my mac but it will not let me. On the mac it saves the contacts asa vcard and this does not support windows live. I really wanted to move over to a windows device but I cant not seem to sync my info from my mac at all, its so frustrating. Maybe I can do a wired sync, is this possible?

Import your vcard into gmail, then import those into your live account. Thats what I had to do for my brother IIRC.

The mac software "windows phone connector" will sync media and give you updates, but not transfer contacts/calendar.

wayneholbrook

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Import your vcard into gmail, then import those into your live account. Thats what I had to do for my brother IIRC.

The mac software "windows phone connector" will sync media and give you updates, but not transfer contacts/calendar.

Thank you, Ill try that and post my results. Thanks again for the info

donnydonny#WP

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
Like many people have already stated, there is no direct way to sync iCal and Contacts with your WP7 device. You will have to sync it with a cloud service (i.e., Google or Windows Live) and then sync that with iCal and Contacts. I do this with Google Sync and it works wonderfully both ways.

The Mac WP7 software you're going to want is Windows Phone Connector for Mac (Windows Phone 7 & Mac | Mac Sync Software | Sync Files | Windows Phone 7). This doesn't do any data syncing, and is used more for media syncing and software updates.

wayneholbrook

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Like many people have already stated, there is no direct way to sync iCal and Contacts with your WP7 device. You will have to sync it with a cloud service (i.e., Google or Windows Live) and then sync that with iCal and Contacts. I do this with Google Sync and it works wonderfully both ways.

The Mac WP7 software you're going to want is Windows Phone Connector for Mac (Windows Phone 7 & Mac | Mac Sync Software | Sync Files | Windows Phone 7). This doesn't do any data syncing, and is used more for media syncing and software updates.

Very helpful info, I appreciate your advice. I'm on my way home with my new Samsung Focus S and I will follow your advice.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon