WP7 Phones in Enterprise environment

Xerxes10

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Hello all, I'm a current BB user (Torch 9800) and am evaluating my options for my next phone. I've heard good things about WP7 and want to check it out. First question, does anyone have experience with their WP7 device in an enterprise environment? I've seen some articles questioning whether WP7 is "ready" for enterprise. I work for a small company and they don't care what phone people use (there are iPhones, Android & BB). We do have BES, and Outlook syncs perfectly and near instantly (email, calendar, contacts). Does WP7 sync the same as Android & iPhone when used with Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync? I'm assuming it must, but would love to hear some real world experience. Thanks in advance

jalb

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
My sync with Exchange for email, calndar, contacts, and tasks is pretty seemless, and it was easy to set up. I sync to the webmail server. I don't know if that is the same as Activesync.

I am looking forward to the promised Lync app, if it ever comes. Sharepoint integration would be wildly nice, but I don't imagine our people setting it up server-side anytime soon.

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
That doesn't matter. What matters is that wp7 policy support is terrible. Enterprises care more about security and protecting trade secrets than how seamless some integration is. That's why they love bb. 500+ ways to lock your device down, and winmo supported all exchange policies for the most part. Wp7 barely support any so on a lot of corporate networks the exchange server doesn't even allow wp7 devices to connect (assuming activesync is enabled).

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

jalb

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Well, he mentioned that his IT people don't care what phone you use, so I doubt that how much they can lock down his phone is an issue for him. It doesn't sound he'll be the one in charge of deployment so much as a user where they'll let you sync whatever you want.

Xerxes10

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Thanks all, we're on Exchange 2007 so it sounds like syncing shouldn't be an issue (the complaints I've seen were usually in companies on Exchange 2003, and I just need the basic syncing functionality not advanced phone mgmt that large enterprises use). So now I just need to pick a phone...

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Thanks all, we're on Exchange 2007 so it sounds like syncing shouldn't be an issue (the complaints I've seen were usually in companies on Exchange 2003, and I just need the basic syncing functionality not advanced phone mgmt that large enterprises use). So now I just need to pick a phone...

sweet :)

PS. WELCOME TO WPcentral!!!!

welsbloke

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
This will be the second CIO article I have read recently which makes me cringe. The headline tells you all you need to know about sensationalist innaccurate click seeking headlines.

The point is some organisations may feel they need to enforce and some may feel obligated while others are mandated but the vast majority will be free to use Windows Phones for business.

Xerxes10

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
sweet :)

PS. WELCOME TO WPcentral!!!!
So I'm planning on making the jump to WP with the release of Nokia's Lumia 900 on AT&T in March. I know there will likely be even better WP products before the year's out, maybe even launching with Apollo/Windows 8-butthere's always something around the corner so if you're going to switch platforms sooner or later you have to "get your feet wet."

JedH

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
I use my WP7 lots for my work. Combined emails, calendars syncing, contacts saved to Live automatically to get later. Outlook with Exchange is awesome as well.

I can't speak to Blackberry, but I've had an iPhone for about 2 years and Androids off and on and I never used them for as much enterprise uses as I do with my Windows Phone now, I don't think it's a coincidence, it just seemed more seamless and more to what I've always wanted a phone to do.

davidkhou

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
I think the biggest potential problem you might have is a certificate issue in syncing outlook. That's the only problem I ran into. But any savy IT person should be able to fix that for you pretty easily. Everything else runs as well as (sometimes even better than) the BB that I came from. IMO Android is a non-starter for businesses until it can do native Outlook server-side email search, which iphone, BB and WP can already do.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb