Article: iPhone user switches to WP

foosball

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
So the reviewer still stuck with his fruit phone after all that.

At least if he was going to make such a big deal about apps he should have said which apps he uses that were so critical. It would be interesting to see the list for comparison sake and whether it was through his own laziness or the actual lack of similar apps that made it a deal breaker.

desmonium

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
Combined hardware design + software: iPhone 4S > any Mango phone, though Lumia 800 comes close.

Software solely: Mango > iOS

Software with ecosystem considered: iOS > Mango.

Software with bizzare/foreign/exotic apps considered: iOS >> Mango.

---------------------
Conclusion:
WP needs Nokia and Win8 to pass iOS in both hardware and software.

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
That review is really good - sums up a lot of what I think about WP7. And why, with an iPad for the iOS apps/games that I miss that there's no equivalent for, I'm happy with WP7 even though I don't use as many messaging sources as the reviewer does.

The iPhone is like the evolution of the computer, whereas WP7 is like the evolution of the phone. And that's why I can see Android eventually losing ground, because it isn't as good as iOS as being the best, most stable, most user-friendly app platform and isn't as good as WP7 as being the most social, quick access platform.

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
At least if he was going to make such a big deal about apps he should have said which apps he uses that were so critical.

You mean like the 3rd paragraph?

Instapaper turned the iPhone’s blank canvas into reading material. Omnifocus helped me organize my tasks. iPod’s easy integration with iTunes turned it into a podcast station. Saver let me keep track of my expenses and decide if I should throttle back on my spending. Reeder plugged me into my favorite RSS feeds. Pulse fed me a delicious stream of news. I’m not too much of an iOS gamer, but I enjoyed the occasional Strategery round.

So, lets answer his questions for him. I don't know any replacement except 2 off the top of my head, so everything will be searching...

Instapaper = Fuse (1st search, 1st result, great reviews)

Omnifocus = Tasks (2nd search, Omnifocus brings back nothing)

iPod = Zune (duh....)

Saver = My Expenses (1st search for "Expenses")

Reader = Weave (What I use...but I want a LIVE TILE! anyone have a better option :) )

Pulse = Weave...I use it for news and RSS...not sure of the difference...

iOS Gamer = .........C'mon, who is he kidding, hahaha

In my opinion, it wasn't the lack of apps, it was the lack of 3 years of research in finding the best app for whatever task they wanted.

I don't think MS wants to try to convert every Apple user, they want to try to get the people just looking into getting a new phone to hop on board!!!

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
You have to remember that he didn't really want to switch anyway - it was his employer's idea for an interesting article and he volunteered. Given that, I think it's actually very positive - he came away with a good opinion and noted the strengths of the format, even though he was more or less being forced to ditch a device and a set of apps he was more than happy with.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Irked me that he kept saying he would recommend it to someone looking for a BASIC smartphone not interested in lots of apps. Did not like his smartalec way of saying you can get in and out of your phone faster because you do not have as much to do. As mentioned above, he could have had all his same time wasting apps if he did more than a 10 second search. Seems thats all it would have taken though. IF he liked podcasts he would have really liked the ability to subscribe to them in WP whereas he would have to go find them each day on iOS.

astroXP

Jul 1, 2011
twitter.com
Irked me that he kept saying he would recommend it to someone looking for a BASIC smartphone not interested in lots of apps. Did not like his smartalec way of saying you can get in and out of your phone faster because you do not have as much to do. As mentioned above, he could have had all his same time wasting apps if he did more than a 10 second search. Seems thats all it would have taken though. IF he liked podcasts he would have really liked the ability to subscribe to them in WP whereas he would have to go find them each day on iOS.

My exact words. It annoyed me the two time he basically said WP7 is just a BASIC, "dumb" smarphone. Seems like the Molly Wood syndrome (laziness mood) is quite broad that people are 'unable' to tap on Marketplace and look if their fav app ARE already for WP7.

Btw, is it a (Chinese/Japanese/Korean)-American site ? I mean, just by looking at the editors I'm assuming that lol

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
I went from an iPhone 3G to Blackberry to WP7.5 and I could never go back WP7.5 is the best phone I ever used period.

Only concern is the lack of applications and games but you know what it makes everyday a new experience. I wasn't in the era where iOS really application crazy but with new Mango apps coming out and games everyday makes my phone feel new.

Yesterday I got Fuse app on my phone excellent today no idea lets see what comes out.

This is all I have to say once WP gets the APPs which they will especially with the whole idea of 3 screens 1 cloud then it will be the best phone in the market.

ecthroi

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
" Being a three-year old iPhone user, I volunteered to try out Windows Phone 7."

I just chuckled out loud at that. He's a three-year old iPhone user? He's got the sentence crafting skills of a 3 year old, it seems.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
You mean like the 3rd paragraph?

Reader = Weave (What I use...but I want a LIVE TILE! anyone have a better option :) )

Pulse = Weave...I use it for news and RSS...not sure of the difference....
!!!
Weave is getting a Live Tile with their next update. Subscribe to their Twitter feed and give them suggestions as to what they should put on it.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
LMAO gotta loved these half baked impressions but unfortunately, this is what the average consumer does as well. They don't research their products thus don't know what the alternatives are of what they are looking for

ryude

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Excellent article, I agree with almost everything he said. Unfortunately, this is a wp7 forum so no one here is going to admit that it can be improved.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Great article, but did he not check out the apps available from Zune (as a work around)? Pretty sure there are equivalent apps that do the same thing. Zune also acts as a podcast station.

There's no doubt that we're behind on the apps, but that's being turned around as we speak with more 'must have' apps in the pipeline. Once this is addressed, iSheep just might realise that, actually, the grass IS greener.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
" Being a three-year old iPhone user, I volunteered to try out Windows Phone 7."

I just chuckled out loud at that. He's a three-year old iPhone user? He's got the sentence crafting skills of a 3 year old, it seems.

Maybe he meant that he's using a three year old iPhone but probably not!

Apoc

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Good review, but as always, his lack of knowledge of apps that actually do the same thing as his beloved iOS apps, are in the Marketplace. I really wish, these so-called tech reporters, really would take the time to learn & use the device. Come at each device the same way he did 3 years ago, when he first picked up his first iphone.

Rhody#WP

May 3, 2011
Visit site
After reading that article, I got the impression the author really believes WP lacks apps. In other words, he truly believes there are no apps because he never even opened the marketplace. I also got the impression he didn't even open the Music and Video hub or the Office hub. The article never mentions how long he used it other than where he says "just a day after using WP." I don't even think he used it for one day, because there's no way a "tech writer" could learn so little about a a device and its operating system after using it for a whole day.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium