This again?

Windows Central Podcast 37: Windows 10 Mobile is still dead

Redefining the PC

Why Microsoft's Surface phone could be MUCH more than a mere 'phone'

Surface Pwn 5

Surface Pro 5, Project NEON details leaked on LinkedIn?

XP-YESSSSSSS

Dell's already awesome XPS 15 gets even better in 2017

Surface table meets Windows 10

Yes, we did put Windows 10 on the original Surface table ... and it rocks

Cream o' the crop

Before buying a Microsoft laptop, check out our pick for the absolute best

Simple and secure, just the way I like it

We think Windows 10 Cloud is a great idea, here's why

uber micro

Halo Wars 2 has something for everyone. Here's our full review.

Oldie but goldie

We reviewed Microsoft's decade-old Surface table

Creators Update comin' at ya

These are the coolest new features in the next big Xbox One update (video)

Buyer's guide

The Razer Blade 14 is the best laptop Razer has to offer

Windows 10 app gems

10 terrific Windows 10 apps you should be using

Tower of power

Here's what we think of Dell's XPS Tower Special Edition

Quite a deal

Grab the complete C# coding bootcamp for $41!

Your go-to laptop guide

Introducing our ultimate laptop buyer's guide

Listen here

Attn Android and iPhone users: What you need to know about Windows phone

Old is new?

The original Surface Pro still holds its own in the 2-in-1 world

Xbox Greenlight?

No, internet, Microsoft isn't opening Xbox to all UWP games

Falling in love

HP Envy 34 review: An ultrawide curved all-in-one after my heart

2015 machine in 2017?

Surface 3 still holds its own in 2017

< >
Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 15 of 15
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sydenie
  1. sydenie's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    7 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #1  
    Hi, I am a iPhone 4 user and am typing this up on my Macbook Air (don't ban me!) but I'm considering switching to Windows Phone when my contract ends in a year. I was planning to switch, but after some research and the release of Siri I am no longer so sure.

    I love the Windows Phone interface. Love it. But there are a few issues that are worrying to me, like full Outlook tasks sync in the future. Right now I believe that Outlook tasks sync is coming out, but apparently it is still very clunky and still unable to categorize like the new Reminders on iPhone can. Furthermore unlike Siri, TellMe is unable to dictate tasks/alarms/appointments.

    Will these things be fixed in the near future? If these issues were solved and if Bloomberg would hurry up with its Windows Phone app, I honestly can't wait to switch to Windows Phone. Then again if Windows 8 comes out when I switch phones in Jan 2013 and haves these things, then I can't wait.

    PS: Honestly can't understand why Microsoft Outlook doesn't have full compatibility with Windows Phone though. Even the iPhone has full compatibility, and from what I saw of the current Mango tasks UI it quickly gets cluttered for anyone who has more than 10 tasks.
  2. based_graham's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    626 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #2  
    Are you deep into the Apple ecosystem if you are I wouldn't consider switching over but if you really want to I suggest waiting until Win 8 Apollo or Tango features are annouced.

    Going from an iPhone 4 to a WM7.5 is kind of like a downgrade sure your going to love the Metro UI, Live Tiles and integration but you will probably become APP hungry in a couple of weeks.

    I can only assume MS will want to showcase their products such as Outlook on WP and make sure its better than iOS and Android but as of right now you have to wait until more features are added.

    What I would do is buy a cheap Samsung Focus you can probably buy them for 160$ and play around with that. Hold on to your iPhone 4
  3. sydenie's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    7 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #3  
    Playing games or doing superfluous things with apps isn't my intention. Just give me bloomberg and ill be happy. What I'm looking for is to spend as little time using it as possible. But if you think that windows phones are unlikely to outstrip the iPhone in he near future then I guess I'll stick with my current phone.
    cedarlog likes this.
  4. jasqid's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    823 Posts
    Global Posts
    872 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #4  
    I have office 365 and with the mango update my tasks sync within the calendar under to-do. So yes, the tasks sync if you use exchange.

    Sent from my HTC Arrive using Board Express
  5. sydenie's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    7 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by jasqid View Post
    I have office 365 and with the mango update my tasks sync within the calendar under to-do. So yes, the tasks sync if you use exchange.

    Sent from my HTC Arrive using Board Express
    Yes, but can you categorize the tasks?
  6. based_graham's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    626 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #6  
    In my honest opinion WP 7.5 is the best phone for news I downloaded Fuse with live tiles oh man the news experience in this phone is great! I got a program called Mystocks pretty decent I don't think Bloomberg has an APP yet but when it does expect it to be amazing.

    Mango apps experience and potential could be far greater than its iOS and Android counterparts. I say just buy a cheap Mango headset and try it out dont get rid of your iPhone yet maybe when Apollo and the new new savy Nokia phones arrive then go for it.
  7. sydenie's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    7 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by based_graham View Post
    In my honest opinion WP 7.5 is the best phone for news I downloaded Fuse with live tiles oh man the news experience in this phone is great! I got a program called Mystocks pretty decent I don't think Bloomberg has an APP yet but when it does expect it to be amazing.

    Mango apps experience and potential could be far greater than its iOS and Android counterparts. I say just buy a cheap Mango headset and try it out dont get rid of your iPhone yet maybe when Apollo and the new new savy Nokia phones arrive then go for it.
    I've already tried it out before, and I've liked it. But I'm torn between Siri and the Reminders app on iPhone VS the better interface in Mango. Once Outlook gets fully integrated into the handset and with TellMe I think I will switch over.

    The biggest problem with the iPhone is the inability to quickly check notifications as fast as Windows Phone can do it. It's just a bunch of icons as the interface. It's gotten better with the new notifications system (ripped off from android) in iOS 5.0, but it still requires more time than Windows in an inferior interface.

    I think the iOS icons interface is really growing stagnant, and I have the feeling that Tim Cook and Johnny Ive over at Apple would not have the balls to reverse something Jobs himself pioneered, at least in the near future. Since the original iPhone in 2007 there has been no real change to the interface...it is a pretty good system, sure, but after looking at Windows Phone it is both sexier and more useful.
  8. 1jaxstate1's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3,243 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,479 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #8  
    It takes one swipe down in iOS 5.0 to check notifications for everything that offers any type of notifications.
    Quote Originally Posted by sydenie View Post

    The biggest problem with the iPhone is the inability to quickly check notifications as fast as Windows Phone can do it. It's just a bunch of icons as the interface. It's gotten better with the new notifications system (ripped off from android) in iOS 5.0, but it still requires more time than Windows in an inferior interface.
  9. based_graham's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    626 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #9  
    It takes no swipes on Windows phone :) all notification live tiles on the main screen let you phone do your work for you I think its great!

    I wish MS made the message tile, call tile, e-mail tiles all Live to see who recently contacted you
  10. sydenie's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    7 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by 1jaxstate1 View Post
    It takes one swipe down in iOS 5.0 to check notifications for everything that offers any type of notifications.
    I know that. But

    Quote Originally Posted by based_graham View Post
    It takes no swipes on Windows phone :) all notification live tiles on the main screen let you phone do your work for you I think its great!
    It is really the glance-and-go machine that Ballmer envisioned. Even one swipe is too much in my opinion.

    And I've always thought that the Windows interface in this case might just be better, although that might be subjective. It is definitely easier to look at.
  11. cckgz4's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,965 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,836 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #11  
    If you have a 4 you can't get siri at the moment
  12. jimski's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,254 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,259 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #12  
    There are several WP apps that sync with Outlook tasks, or is it a requirement that it be integrated into the OS.

    Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express
  13. cedarlog's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    386 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by based_graham View Post
    Are you deep into the Apple ecosystem if you are I wouldn't consider switching over but if you really want to I suggest waiting until Win 8 Apollo or Tango features are annouced.

    Going from an iPhone 4 to a WM7.5 is kind of like a downgrade sure your going to love the Metro UI, Live Tiles and integration but you will probably become APP hungry in a couple of weeks.

    I can only assume MS will want to showcase their products such as Outlook on WP and make sure its better than iOS and Android but as of right now you have to wait until more features are added.

    What I would do is buy a cheap Samsung Focus you can probably buy them for 160$ and play around with that. Hold on to your iPhone 4
    most of your comments are negative in here can i ask why ?
  14. sydenie's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    7 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by cckgz4 View Post
    If you have a 4 you can't get siri at the moment
    Yes, but I'd bet the house that iPhone 5 and its successors will have it, and they will be out by the time I'm able to get a new phone. I think TellMe has a great Siri-like potential right now, and if Microsoft develops it right it could turn into a much more useful tool, especially for business users.
  15. based_graham's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    626 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by torchxit View Post
    most of your comments are negative in here can i ask why ?
    Not really I say nothing but positive things about the WP7 best phone I ever had. I'm just being real so when the user knows what to expect when he/she moves from an iPhone 4 to a WP7.5.

    The last thing I want is a user to be over hyped then disapointed in the next 2 weeks thats not good for the platform.

    If you want to go from iOS to WP you need to know what to expect.

Posting Permissions

";