Planning Switch from iPhone to Windows Mango/8

sydenie

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Hi, I am a iPhone 4 user and am typing this up on my Macbook Air (don't ban me!) but I'm considering switching to Windows Phone when my contract ends in a year. I was planning to switch, but after some research and the release of Siri I am no longer so sure.

I love the Windows Phone interface. Love it. But there are a few issues that are worrying to me, like full Outlook tasks sync in the future. Right now I believe that Outlook tasks sync is coming out, but apparently it is still very clunky and still unable to categorize like the new Reminders on iPhone can. Furthermore unlike Siri, TellMe is unable to dictate tasks/alarms/appointments.

Will these things be fixed in the near future? If these issues were solved and if Bloomberg would hurry up with its Windows Phone app, I honestly can't wait to switch to Windows Phone. Then again if Windows 8 comes out when I switch phones in Jan 2013 and haves these things, then I can't wait.

PS: Honestly can't understand why Microsoft Outlook doesn't have full compatibility with Windows Phone though. Even the iPhone has full compatibility, and from what I saw of the current Mango tasks UI it quickly gets cluttered for anyone who has more than 10 tasks.

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Are you deep into the Apple ecosystem if you are I wouldn't consider switching over but if you really want to I suggest waiting until Win 8 Apollo or Tango features are annouced.

Going from an iPhone 4 to a WM7.5 is kind of like a downgrade sure your going to love the Metro UI, Live Tiles and integration but you will probably become APP hungry in a couple of weeks.

I can only assume MS will want to showcase their products such as Outlook on WP and make sure its better than iOS and Android but as of right now you have to wait until more features are added.

What I would do is buy a cheap Samsung Focus you can probably buy them for 160$ and play around with that. Hold on to your iPhone 4

sydenie

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Playing games or doing superfluous things with apps isn't my intention. Just give me bloomberg and ill be happy. What I'm looking for is to spend as little time using it as possible. But if you think that windows phones are unlikely to outstrip the iPhone in he near future then I guess I'll stick with my current phone.

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I have office 365 and with the mango update my tasks sync within the calendar under to-do. So yes, the tasks sync if you use exchange.

Sent from my HTC Arrive using Board Express

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
In my honest opinion WP 7.5 is the best phone for news I downloaded Fuse with live tiles oh man the news experience in this phone is great! I got a program called Mystocks pretty decent I don't think Bloomberg has an APP yet but when it does expect it to be amazing.

Mango apps experience and potential could be far greater than its iOS and Android counterparts. I say just buy a cheap Mango headset and try it out dont get rid of your iPhone yet maybe when Apollo and the new new savy Nokia phones arrive then go for it.

sydenie

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
In my honest opinion WP 7.5 is the best phone for news I downloaded Fuse with live tiles oh man the news experience in this phone is great! I got a program called Mystocks pretty decent I don't think Bloomberg has an APP yet but when it does expect it to be amazing.

Mango apps experience and potential could be far greater than its iOS and Android counterparts. I say just buy a cheap Mango headset and try it out dont get rid of your iPhone yet maybe when Apollo and the new new savy Nokia phones arrive then go for it.

I've already tried it out before, and I've liked it. But I'm torn between Siri and the Reminders app on iPhone VS the better interface in Mango. Once Outlook gets fully integrated into the handset and with TellMe I think I will switch over.

The biggest problem with the iPhone is the inability to quickly check notifications as fast as Windows Phone can do it. It's just a bunch of icons as the interface. It's gotten better with the new notifications system (ripped off from android) in iOS 5.0, but it still requires more time than Windows in an inferior interface.

I think the iOS icons interface is really growing stagnant, and I have the feeling that Tim Cook and Johnny Ive over at Apple would not have the balls to reverse something Jobs himself pioneered, at least in the near future. Since the original iPhone in 2007 there has been no real change to the interface...it is a pretty good system, sure, but after looking at Windows Phone it is both sexier and more useful.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
It takes one swipe down in iOS 5.0 to check notifications for everything that offers any type of notifications.
The biggest problem with the iPhone is the inability to quickly check notifications as fast as Windows Phone can do it. It's just a bunch of icons as the interface. It's gotten better with the new notifications system (ripped off from android) in iOS 5.0, but it still requires more time than Windows in an inferior interface.

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
It takes no swipes on Windows phone :) all notification live tiles on the main screen let you phone do your work for you I think its great!

I wish MS made the message tile, call tile, e-mail tiles all Live to see who recently contacted you

sydenie

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
It takes one swipe down in iOS 5.0 to check notifications for everything that offers any type of notifications.

I know that. But

It takes no swipes on Windows phone :) all notification live tiles on the main screen let you phone do your work for you I think its great!

It is really the glance-and-go machine that Ballmer envisioned. Even one swipe is too much in my opinion.

And I've always thought that the Windows interface in this case might just be better, although that might be subjective. It is definitely easier to look at.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
There are several WP apps that sync with Outlook tasks, or is it a requirement that it be integrated into the OS.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

cedarlog

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Are you deep into the Apple ecosystem if you are I wouldn't consider switching over but if you really want to I suggest waiting until Win 8 Apollo or Tango features are annouced.

Going from an iPhone 4 to a WM7.5 is kind of like a downgrade sure your going to love the Metro UI, Live Tiles and integration but you will probably become APP hungry in a couple of weeks.

I can only assume MS will want to showcase their products such as Outlook on WP and make sure its better than iOS and Android but as of right now you have to wait until more features are added.

What I would do is buy a cheap Samsung Focus you can probably buy them for 160$ and play around with that. Hold on to your iPhone 4

most of your comments are negative in here can i ask why ?

sydenie

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
If you have a 4 you can't get siri at the moment

Yes, but I'd bet the house that iPhone 5 and its successors will have it, and they will be out by the time I'm able to get a new phone. I think TellMe has a great Siri-like potential right now, and if Microsoft develops it right it could turn into a much more useful tool, especially for business users.

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
most of your comments are negative in here can i ask why ?

Not really I say nothing but positive things about the WP7 best phone I ever had. I'm just being real so when the user knows what to expect when he/she moves from an iPhone 4 to a WP7.5.

The last thing I want is a user to be over hyped then disapointed in the next 2 weeks thats not good for the platform.

If you want to go from iOS to WP you need to know what to expect.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte