Questions about Amazon Wireless and AT&T

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
The Focus Flash is currently going for a penny at Amazon Wireless and I'm really tempted to pick it up for the Misses.

Currently I'm off contract and if I get the Flash I'm gonna be locked in for two years. That isn't a huge concern for me since I'll still buy my next phone unsubsidized.

My question is, how do I go about ordering everything?

Like, what's the difference between "Upgrade my Line" vs "Add a New Line" if I'm currently off contract? It seems like the correct option would be to Add a New Line and start a new contract.

Also, when it comes time to pay the bills, would I be paying Amazon or will I pay AT&T directly like I'm currently doing?

threed61

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Amazon simply handles the sale of the device and contract, otherwise you'll be dealing with AT&T. Upgrading your line is the same as signing a contract extension. If you cancel the contract in the first 6 months, you have to pay an early termination fee to Amazon as well as AT&T. You may not always be able to make changes to the contract. This was info I found when looking to sign up with Verizon, so AT&T may be slightly different, but usually it works the same. Most people who buy a phone through Amazon have been very happy with them.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the info. Hopefully Amazon will offer this next week because I won't be able to do it until Monday. I'm still a bit conflicted. I know that when Nokia comes to America I'm probably going to pick up their first phone (assuming it has an FFC) but then that's three phones and only two people. Maybe I should start lining up people to buy my Focus before the holidays are over, lol.

threed61

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the info. Hopefully Amazon will offer this next week because I won't be able to do it until Monday. I'm still a bit conflicted. I know that when Nokia comes to America I'm probably going to pick up their first phone (assuming it has an FFC) but then that's three phones and only two people. Maybe I should start lining up people to buy my Focus before the holidays are over, lol.

The uncertainty of what Nokia and Apollo will bring seems to have made a lot of people conflicted about what to do. I hope you enjoy whatever you choose!

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
The uncertainty of what Nokia and Apollo will bring seems to have made a lot of people conflicted about what to do. I hope you enjoy whatever you choose!

And that's the real problem right there. Nokia is a wild card. If the Lumia 800 isn't coming to America then whatever Nokia releases is probably going to be a major upgrade. It's hard to settle on a new phone until I know Nokia's plan.

Getting the Focus Flash now means screwing myself later. I could take the penny deal and sign a two year contract. However, when Nokia releases their phone that means I can't get the subsidized price, and I'm willing to bet Nokia's first phone will be 500 dollars or more (definitely more).

I could pay full price for the Focus Flash but that effectively depletes my new phone fund. I can't spend $340 (on Amazon) now then spend another $200 a few months later. Well I could but the Misses wouldn't allow that. :D

And honestly, I could see myself holding onto a Flash for two years if not for the 8GB storage limit. Otherwise it's a solid phone and one of the better (if not best) of the new budget Mango phones.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb