Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By thed
  • 1 Post By mdrapps
  • 1 Post By martin_strahilovski

Global Posts
    2,857 Global Posts
    WP7 was outsold by bada AGAIN in Q3, according to figures from Gartner Gartner: Windows Phone sales flat in Q3 2011 | WinRumors. I think it was a huge mistake to basically sit back for the whole launch year and watch as the competition solidified its position and not even try to bring WP7 to the public's attention. Should have spent more time bringing the Xbox 360 and WP7 together than chasing bloody angry birds! One can only hope Nokia's efforts pay off but seriously MS has a lot of work to do if google isnt going to be the runaway dominant force in smartphones.

Personally, I prefer my mobile devices without malware!
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,304 Global Posts
    meh , they are doing it now. they should be more like apple when it comes to advertising.

but i think they are doing enough ,specially with the NYC event , and also advertising is MORE the responsibility of Samsung , Nokia ,HTC and LG ect.. then it is MS.

At lease NOKIA took it to heart with the UK event coming.( they dont really have a choice considering they are relying on WP to take them out of the HOLE they dug) HTC also had a big WP event earlyer this year...

better late then never.
    If your looking for Information, be sure to check out: WindowsPhone: Getting started!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If one of our Members helps you, be sure to THANK him or her!

Global Posts
    195 Global Posts
    Microsoft is depending on Nokia's relationship with the European market, which if it succeeds could easily push WP sales into the 10-20% marketshare in a few years.

Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    WP7's marketshare in Europe is better than it is here in the states, iirc.

Global Posts
    1,267 Global Posts
    I'm counting on WP to be very successful in Europe and hopefully we'll hear about sales figures by MWC 2012 in February. By that point I'm expecting that a US Nokia Windows Phone has been at least announced.

So bottom line this first year in WP7 has been pretty meh, although they are doing the right thing putting good effort in attracting developers.

Global Posts
    4,016 Global Posts
    I wonder if MS doesn't think WP is "finished" enough to full on advertise yet. Maybe they are waiting for WP8?? Just a thought. Mango seems great to me, don't take that the wrong way. I just don't get why they wouldn't advertise their phones either. I don't think I have ever seen a WP7-7.5 commercial, ever. I've seen plenty of W7 PC commercials.

You need new hardware to get people excited about it, and there was no new hardware in Q3. Not surprising that sales were flat. There's no point in spending a bunch of money to push year old hardware.

MS waited until the new phones came out to start the ad push as they should have.
    HeyCori likes this.

Global Posts
    3,470 Global Posts
    Yikes! Gonna just be us at WPC using WP7 eventually. LOL! I like having something most people don't know about.
    Goodbye Dooley! You will NOT be missed!:@
    Bring back the WeeeeeBeeeeaaarrrr
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    9,269 Global Posts
    They need a whole lot more advertising. The only thing I have seen recently is the T-Mobile Radar ad. If you go to the T-Mobile site, you would never know they have a WP7 phone: Unsupported Browser
    Check out the great deals on Windows Phone Accessories: http://store.wpcentral.com

Global Posts
    3,470 Global Posts
    I'm starting to see the Focus S in ads.
    Goodbye Dooley! You will NOT be missed!:@
    Bring back the WeeeeeBeeeeaaarrrr

They really need to get their Christmas campaign going.... if they have one, that is...
    Google - "Don't be evil. . . much!"
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,526 Global Posts
    Seems like they're getting better. I expect this time next year the sales figures will look better for WP7.

Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    In the US, there just aren't but a couple of second generation devices to push and, sadly, the 8GB Radar seems to be getting the lion's share of attention right now. I think potential WP7 users will be turned off by the small storage capacity of the Radar.

Hopefully, there will be some good devices coming out of CES in the next quarter or two.

Global Posts
    734 Global Posts
    Suprised how crappy the WP7 marketing is compared to the windows and xbox marketing. Those divison's won't need it as much until late next year do now should be windows phone all the time.

Check your grammar next time you create a topic: nobody in their right mind thinks MS shouldn't have advertised more. "Who still thinks MS should have advertised more?" And to answer your question... DUH they should have.

Global Posts
    2,259 Global Posts
    No problem explaining the first year's mediocre marketing, but now it's time for Microsoft to step it up. I am sure there will be a big push when Nokia reaches US shores. But they can't wait that long, or they could lose the good part of another year.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express
    Nokia Lumia 900 - OS: 7.10.8112.7 - Firmware: 2175.1002.8112.12084
    HTC Surround - OS: 7.10.8107.79 - Firmware: 2250.21.40500.502

How about a Windows Phone advertisement that actually demonstrates to people that broad capabilities of the phone? The latest advertisements are cheesy, mediocre, semi-witty acting that leave a consumer barely informed about the phone capability. Someone in Microsoft marketing needs to get fired!
    Big Supes likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mdrapps View Post
    How about a Windows Phone advertisement that actually demonstrates to people that broad capabilities of the phone? The latest advertisements are cheesy, mediocre, semi-witty acting that leave a consumer barely informed about the phone capability. Someone in Microsoft marketing needs to get fired!
    I agree with this.

While MS are obviously going for a softer approach, they need to show how WP technically beats the competition as an OS 'on the move'. People hub, live tiles, the me tile, status updates/check in's across multiple social networks, threads, etc, etc.

IMO, the best way forward would be to target a relative face for WP. Someone like Olly Murs (for here in the UK). He's young, trendy, appeals to people on all levels, and embodies the warm, light-hearted sense of humour the WP has. Show his day pan out from start to finish and piece in how the simplicity of WP keeps him in touch with his friends, family, as well as the latest news, etc. As a musician they can show his tracks play through Zune whilst tying in the Zune marketplace. You never know, by this stage, they could even show Skype integration!

At the end of the day, their approach has to be 'current'. Whatever angle they attack this from, cheesy amateurish actors/acting isn't going to sell the brand.
    Google - "Don't be evil. . . much!"

Global Posts
    2,857 Global Posts
    So, the Titan launches today, will anyone outside forums like this even know it exists? I'm calling it now, its going to sell poorly, no ads for the "flagship" launch. We'll see what the reports are like today about getting one, probably the same old story. How does anyone from Microsoft involved with this product expect it to sell when no one advertises it?

Global Posts
    240 Global Posts
    I don't know about you, but I've seen a lot of Radar commercials lately. **** all over the internet too. Not so much with the Focus and Flash though...

Global Posts
    2,259 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mdrapps View Post
    Agreed, because herein lies the problem. If an ad only peaks your interest in a WP phone, when you go to a retailer to find out more they either; won't have it for you to see, or will tell you Windows Mobile (duh) is crap. So you really need to understand and WANT a WP before setting out to find one. Feeling and touching should be the final step, not the first.

Maybe do some of those sponsor a 1 hour show things with a 3-4 minute infomercial at the 30 Monte mark. Retail is not going to sell these phones till there is a real demand.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express
    Nokia Lumia 900 - OS: 7.10.8112.7 - Firmware: 2175.1002.8112.12084
    HTC Surround - OS: 7.10.8107.79 - Firmware: 2250.21.40500.502
    Maybe this will fix something next year:

The relationship between Nokia and Microsoft can become even closer in 2012 by making the Windows 8 tablets. According to French newspaper Les Echos , Amsullem Paul, who is in charge of Nokia France, for an interview with the newspaper says that in June 2012 Nokia tablets work on Windows 8...

Seems interesting huh? :)
    Big Supes likes this.

Global Posts
    2,857 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by boneycat1 View Post
    I don't know about you, but I've seen a lot of Radar commercials lately. **** all over the internet too. Not so much with the Focus and Flash though...
    Those little flash ads on webpages are not going to get people in stores to buy WP7 devices. And for something like the Titan, you'd expect SOMETHING to be said on its release day, not just trickling the handset into some stores.

Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Anyone else see the irony i that they are using the web Flash Ads to advertise, when the phones themselves don't support it?

As for their regular advertising, I'm holding out hope that the manufacturers ads will help push new users to the platform. The only ad in the last few months that even sticks with me is the one showing the guy coaching soccer(or some other little league sport) and the kids running around him while he's checking his twitter or something. Even that one is so far gone that I don't even remember the details. What I do remember is the cool Droid ads with people jumping out of planes, opening packages with glowing bright lights, mechanized automatons. Those, I remember. Windows Phone ads? There's some new phone out there, it has something to do with Microsoft. I think AT&T is selling it. That's about it for the WP ads.
    Quote Originally Posted by theefman View Post
    Those little flash ads on webpages are not going to get people in stores to buy WP7 devices. And for something like the Titan, you'd expect SOMETHING to be said on its release day, not just trickling the handset into some stores.
    Well i have seen a lot commercials in newspapers in USA, Britain and Brazil, and on buses in USA. Images below.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails brazilultimatead.jpg   bus.jpg   wp7htcadlondon.jpg