Exchange email attachment issue

Budroid

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone else had issues with attachments on Exchange email accounts? I have been unable to download any attachments on my phone but only on my Exchange server.

For example, I just received a small Excel file - 37kb - and the download fails. I rebooted the phone and tried again and it still failed. I have 5 bars of 4G and other data/internet connections are working fine.

I forwarded the same email to my Gmail account, using the phone, and I could download the attachment in Gmail.

My phone is the Focus S and I have an Exchange 2010 server.

Sent from my SGH-i937 using Board Express

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
is it a BES? (business enterprise server) its possible that your Server restricts you from Downloading Attachments due to security reasons ,, you might have to go see your IT guy at work to unblock it for you to have access. The fact that you forward it to your g-mail takes it off the server and allows you to Download it.

again that’s a possibility , I’m not sure if it’s your problem.

Budroid

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
I am the IT guy for our company and I know that our attachments aren't being blocked. They work fine on our iPhones and Androids. And I agree that since the forwarding works the Focus should be able to download attachments. I'm going to do some more testing but I was on the road and thought I'd ask if anyone else has seen this.

I'll report back if I find anything.

Budroid

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
OK, so I have some more details and it certainly looks like a bug on the phone.

If I receive an email with an attachment to my Exchange email and I'm on 3G/4G (not wireless), and I try to download the attachment, I receive a message that the download failed. But that only happens if I'm NOT on wireless AND the attachment comes to my Exchange email account. If I send the same message & attachment to my GMail, it works fine.

However, if I'm on wireless, the attachments work fine. I've also had it work properly once or twice on 4G and I believe if I wait long enough on 3G/4G it will download. But I shouldn't be having download problems with 12kb and 37kb files - these files are tiny. And they work fine on other accounts.

So far I haven't found any other details and don't really know what else to try. As I said, our other phones work fine with attachments and our Exchange server. I may see if I can test using another Exchange server...though I don't have access to another Exchange 2010 server...it'd have to be Exchange 2007.

If anyone else has an Exchange 2010 server, please test attachments on 3G/4G and let us know if you have the same issue.

Budroid

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
Nope, I was able to write my original post and download email and Gmail attachments. Only my Exchange account attachments failed.

Budroid

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
So, I've found the issue with my Exchange account & email attachments. It is related to our SSL certificate.

We have a UCC (multiple domain names) SSL certificate from StartSSL installed on our Exchange server. The certificate is working properly but I couldn't even get the Exchange account added to my Windows phone without installing their CA cert (Certificate Authority) from their website onto the phone.

Today, I needed to get to an attachment on my phone and couldn't so I Googled the issue and found someone else having the same issue. Their solution was to install the root certificate from their server on the Windows phone. I went to StartSSL's site and found a CA Bundle certificate and installed that & rebooted the phone. No more attachment issues.

Thanks everyone for your ideas on this issue & hope this helps someone else.

Budroid

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
So, I've found the issue with my Exchange account & email attachments. It is related to our SSL certificate.

We have a UCC (multiple domain names) SSL certificate from StartSSL installed on our Exchange server. The certificate is working properly but I couldn't even get the Exchange account added to my Windows phone without installing their CA cert (Certificate Authority) from their website onto the phone.

Today, I needed to get to an attachment on my phone and couldn't so I Googled the issue and found someone else having the same issue. Their solution was to install the root certificate from their server on the Windows phone. I went to StartSSL's site and found a CA Bundle certificate and installed that & rebooted the phone. No more attachment issues.

Thanks everyone for your ideas on this issue & hope this helps someone else.
Sadly, it would appear that I was mistaken as my email attachment issues continue. But I only have issues with my account on my Exchange 2010 SP1 server. All of my other email accounts (GMail, Hotmail, Yahoo) are working fine with attachments. I will post back again if I find any more information about this issue.

Davechm

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Annoyingly there seem to be quite a few problems with WP7 Mango Outlook working with Exchange. Non-Microsoft devices work fine with Exchange of course?!

We're getting this error when sending (recieving is fine) emails from WPs (Exchange 2003 & various phones, HTC/LG all runnning latest WP OS):

We weren't able to send this message so we've put it in your Drafts folder. Before you try sending it again, you can check to see if the address is correct and that no attachments are too large

Nothing else has problems with our exchange and the phones work fine with other email services, Yahoo/Gmail etc.

davidkhou

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
No problems here with dowloading or viewing attachments on my Focus S running on Exchange Server. I sent a word doc to myself and saved it to Skydrive successfully. But, was unable to edit it as it was Word 2003 doc. Wierd. Make sure to save your sent Word docs as more current versions, I guess.

ght

Nov 23, 2011
Visit site
I have had the "download incomplete" issue on my Exchange account. A reboot of the phone has fixed it every time. Today, I discovered that if I had any instances of the email app tombstoned, I could close those, then restart the email app from the home screen tile, and the attachments would download. No reboot required. Seems to be something to do with tombstoned email app.

crash_pr

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
Having this issue on the Lumia 900... One would have expect this phone to be fully compatible with exchange... Android,iOS and WebOS works fine...

Did you found a fix for this?

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
Wow, although this is an old thread, I had issues downloading pictures. I have an imap account but it is set up as an exchange account in my phone through an external server. I was out of the office and downloading pictures failed, but when I got back to the office and on wi-fi, they downloaded. I have to do some more testing though, to confirm this issue.

The question is, does WP restrict a download based on size when only on a 3G (or maybe even 4G) connection. It would be nice to get some feedback from others on this.

HerronScott

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Windows Phone 7 works fine with Exchange 2007 (been using it for a year now). That link shows that it's supported but not all features are supported with the older versions of Exchange. This is problem more an issue with the older versions of Exchange than the phone (ie such as the features didn't exist).

Scott

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss