Auto-wrap, text resizing?

sloppy standard

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Hi all, sorry to be spamming the board here with possibly dumb questions, but I was wondering if it's the OS or my Lumia 800 that doesn't zoom and/or auto-wrap the text?

Is there a way to do it? This old dog's eyes are not getting any better, and I really like, or NEED, to zoom when browsing. Not only does Internet Explorer on the phone NOT let me zoom, but where I CAN zoom, like emails, it doesn't auto wrap?
Is it Nokia? Or MS?

I can't find anything in settings to make text larger by default, either...

sloppy standard

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Thanks palandri, but that doesn't do anything for the auto wrap. I should correct my original post. I CAN zoom on IE, but not on certain news apps like NYTimes or Le Monde.
It's really annoying when zooming that text doesn't auto-wrap.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
No auto wrap in windows phone I went from a 3.7 inch screen to a 4.3 just so I could read the text without having to scroll side to side.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Thanks palandri, but that doesn't do anything for the auto wrap. I should correct my original post. I CAN zoom on IE, but not on certain news apps like NYTimes or Le Monde.
It's really annoying when zooming that text doesn't auto-wrap.

I see what you are saying now. Landscape mode is about the best thing I have found to do. It seems to enlarge the text enough for easy reading, but you are right, I've ran into the issue where the text doesn't wrap.

sloppy standard

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
@sin_nombre773:

Right, but does it auto-wrap? Or do you have to do a lot back and forth scrolling? Looking into it further, after posting (sorry!) I found WP doesn't support auto-wrap. At least that was my take on what I read.
If that's the case, I hope they fix it. I'm loving my Lumia and WP 7.5, but having better control of text would be wonderful.

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Safari in the iPhone doesn't word wrap either, or at least it didn't used to. I don't see why they couldn't have made it an option. The browsing experience is probably smoother in terms of visuals but in terms of actually reading content, I'd think word wrap would be nice to have as an option since you can choose the text magnification. Not all webpages use the same font size so it may be large, or small, and zooming also changes the margins.

sin_nombre773

Banned
Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
I can read almost everything without panning/scrolling on my HD7 and arrive. Lack of word wrap isn't an issue and if u tap on the text area it will fit all the text to screen.

sloppy standard

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
I can read almost everything without panning/scrolling on my HD7 and arrive. Lack of word wrap isn't an issue and if u tap on the text area it will fit all the text to screen.
But see, it is an issue if your eyesight isn't up to snuff. Word wrap eliminates the problems of "large text = side scrolling" and "all text in area = hard to read."

ubizmo

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
But see, it is an issue if your eyesight isn't up to snuff. Word wrap eliminates the problems of "large text = side scrolling" and "all text in area = hard to read."

That's right, and the fact that you can't choose a default font size for the browser in WP, the problem is worse.

My BB 9900 may have a smaller screen, but in portrait mode it's actually wider than my Radar's screen, and I can select a large default browser font. Double-tapping wraps most web text, resulting in an easily readable screenful. I'm finding this to be a real problem on the Radar.

Does anyone know if this will be changed/fixed in a WP update?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs