Problems after forcing Mango Update

twint7787

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I have looked around the forum and didn't see a thread with this particular topic so I will ask it myself.

Does anyone know if problems with Mango are universal or if they are related to forcing the update.

I forced the update on my Trophy and had similar issues like everyone else. Battery, disappearing keyboard, etc. I have rolled my phone back to the pre-Mango OS and some of my problems were alleviated initially. After a week or two though the problems were back. I just did another reset and again my problems do not seem to be there.

My main gripe is battery life. On a full charge it says I have about 20 hrs which is ok, but before the update I was getting about 30. I have no aps running right now since I just reset my phone. Anyone have any idea whats going on here?

Thank you

enahs555

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
It takes a while for the battery estimator to get its calculations correct. Give it a while to get use to your power usage (depends on your usage, average connection strength, etc etc). Really, just forget about it and see if the battery last long enough for you or not.

Like pretty much every electronic device, if it starts acting funny reset it (as in, turn off and on) before you go crazy. Everybody says ohh Microsoft and buggy, blah blah, but to get iPhones and Androids works and top notch I have always had to reset once a day. My WP7 I reset about once a week.

agm353

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
Also, never, ever force or download a leaked update, Beta or Full release. I learned that the hard way. My poor Samsung Focus almost never saw the light of official Mango because I had updated it to Mango beta months before. Luckily now its OK.

twint7787

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for replying guys.

to enahs555, Don't worry I am in no way tempted to go over to Android or iPhone haha. This is my first smart phone and I played around with some of my friends phones and did my own research before deciding I liked WP7. I actually had a pre 2 first but that didn't last very long.

Anyway, that kinda sux that you have to reset your phone once a week. Before Mango I never reset my phone, not once. Now I have been downloading more apps and using my phone more, but still I wouldn't want to reset it often. I understand that it is a machine and machines don't function perfectly but it has been performing sub-par since Mango.

I realize I have had many things active that could drain the battery so we'll see how the battery holds up with the adjustments I have made.

I only had USA Today, WP Central App, and my Xbox tile on and updating. I turned them all off and will turn them back on one at a time to see how each affects the battery. How is your battery stacking up with the apps you currently have running?

enahs555

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
So pretty much the only app I have running in the background is Tango. My battery (Focus) is lasting a very long *** time relative to other people. But I am in an area with GREAT signal (this is probably 95% of the time peoples problems with short battery life), so the modem is always in a low power mode. I use WiFi a lot as well, and listen to a ton of music.

The thing is, if it is acting funny since the Mango update; then I say just sacrifice your saved games and do a hard reset and reinstall everything from scratch. Who knows, maybe in the updating it has something conflicting or causing problems.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Things like background tasks should have little effect on battery, maybe a couple percent at most. I soft reset every few weeks, not because I have to. Just an old habit. Regarding forced updates, getting the Mango update by toggling your connection didn't do anything to hurt your phone, and Microsoft actually joked about it. All you did was move to the front of the line. Now, other methods for getting updates, like changing carrier info, etc. could have a negative effect.

Sounds to me like a hard reset, followed by an update to Mango (if you didn't already reload it) is in order for you. I installed both Beta 1 and 2 of Mango, using a side door (I am a registered dev but some issues with a 64bitVista machine), and had no issues. I did hard reset though, just before updating to final Mango as I test dozens o apps and wanted to clear out all the clutter before loading the update. Aside from the disappearing keyboard, all is peachy.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

twint7787

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Well I hard reset my phone, again, and everything seems to be fine. One thing I did notice that I forgot to mention is that the quick jump list for the application page won't show up. There is just a list and no alphabetical icons. Anyone else have this disappear on them too?

It just seems like there are a lot of bugs in Mango. I can't really speak from experience but is it normal to have so many bugs like this?

Dagolara

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
Well I hard reset my phone, again, and everything seems to be fine. One thing I did notice that I forgot to mention is that the quick jump list for the application page won't show up. There is just a list and no alphabetical icons. Anyone else have this disappear on them too?

It just seems like there are a lot of bugs in Mango. I can't really speak from experience but is it normal to have so many bugs like this?

You need to repopulate your apps to greater then 45 for the list to appear.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans